Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Talk about postponing both the Euro's in the summer and the summer Olympics in Tokyo are starting to gather pace.

The format of the Euro's makes it especially badly suited for handling the Corona virus.

Long way away and lots has to happen for those things to be cancelled but still.

Clicky

Pupils at a Birmingham school have been sent home 'with immediate effect' after students returned from a trip to coronavirus-hit Italy.

Students at Tudor Grange Academy Kingshurst arrived at school on Wednesday, February 26, only to be told minutes later that they had to leave.

A series of text messages were sent to parents this morning, telling them students had been sent straight home.

The closure comes days after some pupils returned home from a school trip to Italy - where parts of the country are on lockdown over the virus.

The school, which has over 1,500 pupils, is expected to remain closed just for today, but it is unclear if students and staff who returned from Italy will have to remain home for longer.

The UK's health secretary Matt Hancock had advised Brits returning from northern Italy to self-isolate for a period of two weeks if they show flu-like symptoms.

Italy has become a hot-spot for the virus, with a reported 19 people dead so far.

The texts sent home to Tudor Grange parents this morning read: "Following the return of a school trip to Italy, we have followed advice and will be closing the academy today with immediate effect, for a deep clean.

"We will continue to follow advice and keep you updated via our website. Students have been sent straight home, so please expect them to arrive shortly.

"At the moment, this closure will only be for today. Again, a reminder to check the website for updates."

One worried parent told BirminghamLive children were 'panicking' to get on buses and rush home.

"It's very concerning," he said.

Another mum wrote on Facebook: "I appreciate the way they have protected the children but surely it could have been done earlier this morning, before they had gone in to school."

Tudor Grange has been contacted for comment.

More schools could be shut and football matches cancelled if the coronavirus outbreak becomes a global pandemic, the UK's top doctor has warned.

Professor Chris Whitty, England's chief medical officer, revealed there are a number of contingency plans if the killer virus begins to spread.

Other measures to contain the deadly infection include reducing public transport, quarantining entire families and cancelling church services and concerts.

Edited by Nigel
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sne said:

You might be screwed as the engines are made in China anyway and those 3 factories are apparently still closed and the containers are sitting at the docks :mellow:

Edit: should add I know absolutely nothing about the logistics in these things :D 

:angry: boooooooooo

(although I appreciate that there are more important things at stake as a result of this thing)

but still, booooooooo

I live in Asia where there's been a huge influx of Chinese over the past 2 years. I interact with quite a few Chinese and I feel like I may have caught it this week? 

Day 1: sore throat. 

Day 2: really bad sore throat a slight fever.

Day 3: coughing my lungs with a huge amount of phlem

Day 4: same as day 3

Day 5: cured? Coughing and everything went away 

The only reason why I thought I got it because when I usually start coughing my lungs out with a cold or flu from this part of the world, it usually lasts for 2 weeks or more. I was just amazed that it just went out of nowhere.

The worst part is that I'm better now, but I should probably quarantine myself, but there's been no suspected cases in country I'm in. Am I an asshole for not getting checked out? 

Edited by Bugzy1991

I'm a bit surprised there has not been more reported cases from Africa.

In pretty much every central African country there is a huge contingency of Chinese companies who have bought up huge swats of land to build tea plantations or are exploiting other natural resources.

They buy up land in exchange for infrastructure (or money in pocket to leaders and high ranking politicians) and build their own mini cities. 

From what I've seen they keep very much to themselves but there is still a huge influx of people traveling to and fro China.

Might be as simple as no equipment to test people in most places I guess. Could absolutely explode down there if not handled correctly.

59 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

The worst part is that I'm better now, but I should probably quarantine myself, but there's been no suspected cases in country I'm in. Am I an asshole for not getting checked out? 

Asshole might be strong, but it's probably worth a conversation with a medical professional to see what you should do.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

It's been a couple of months though. With how connected the world is, 80000 in a couple of months is nothing (might be talking out of my arse here)

Well the Swine Flu pandemic lasted almost 2 years and was apparently around for 4 months before it became a pandemic. That ended up infecting a billion people or more.

The death rate of that was less than 0.1%

If Coronavirus death rate of about 2% is accurate then you're looking at 20 million deaths if it infected a similar number of people

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I work with lots of Italians as we have a site in Turin.

A load of them were over here yesterday, having travelled on Monday. Which made me nervous anyway.

Another Italian, who lives here, has just returned from holidaying back home (again in and around Turin). He was in Monday and Tuesday and I work closely with him, had a 1:1 with him yesterday.
His wife now has the flu so he's in isolation for a couple of weeks.

Guess if I develop any symptoms I'll be doing the same!

You should be alright, it only really affects folically challenged people who tend to have cold feet. 

Trust me, I work next to a hospital. 

Something that British policymakers should definitely consider (but also definitely definitely won't) is that one feature of a 'flexible labour market' (or even a 'gig economy', natch), marked by low wages, increased casualisation, zero-hour contracts and harsh out-of-work benefits, is that people who feel sick are more likely to attend work than if they had the security of a proper contract and statutory sick pay. This might be because they can't afford to miss shifts, or because they are afraid they will fall out of the rotation for hours, or both, but it is a clear pattern that can be observed. It's all very well saying 'you should self-isolate for two weeks', but if you think your boss will regretfully come to the conclusion you're an unreliable worker and that he'd be better just giving you zero hours from now on, you possibly won't do it. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

You should be alright, it only really affects folically challenged people who tend to have cold feet. 

Trust me, I work next to a hospital. 

*follicly

Moron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Something that British policymakers should definitely consider (but also definitely definitely won't) is that one feature of a 'flexible labour market' (or even a 'gig economy', natch), marked by low wages, increased casualisation, zero-hour contracts and harsh out-of-work benefits is that people who feel sick are more likely to attend work. This might be because they can't afford to miss shifts, or because they are afraid they will fall out of the rotation for hours, or both, but it is a clear pattern that can be observed. It's all very well saying 'you should self-isolate for two weeks', but if you think your boss will regretfully come to the conclusion you're an unreliable worker and that he'd be better just giving you zero hours from now on, you possibly won't do it. 

It's a very good point. The situation in my office I Described earlier took a funny turn. I messaged my gf about it and HER boss sent her home. Even though I'm still in the office. She was told to stay off for 2 weeks or until the woman in question was cleared.

As it turns out she has been cleared now and my colleague is now back in the office. So my gf can go back to work tomorrow.

However, if she did have to stay off for 2 weeks, she only gets 1 week full sick pay. So she would be out of pocket. Now a week of lower pay wouldn't be much of an issue for us, but it's easy to see how people might be reluctant to self isolate if they're going to be seriously out of pocket.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a very good point. The situation in my office I Described earlier took a funny turn. I messaged my gf about it and HER boss sent her home. Even though I'm still in the office. She was told to stay off for 2 weeks or until the woman in question was cleared.

As it turns out she has been cleared now and my colleague is now back in the office. So my gf can go back to work tomorrow.

However, if she did have to stay off for 2 weeks, she only gets 1 week full sick pay. So she would be out of pocket. Now a week of lower pay wouldn't be much of an issue for us, but it's easy to see how people might be reluctant to self isolate if they're going to be seriously out of pocket.

Well many employers, particularly small businesses, would also be in serious trouble if a bunch of employees suddenly went home for two weeks and they were still being paid. 

No matter which way you look at it the economy is going to take a hit and you can see that reflected in the stock market this week. 

• Like 1

Â