Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Mother Nature gave us a prod with SARS and then sharpened her stick to give us another prod with the Coronavirus.

Science predicted this would happen, and though the current outbreaks haven't run their course, we have been lucky that these have been super colds with added complications and not something much worse.

Imagine if the opening gambit had been super tuberculosis?

Hopefully lessons will be learned and enough have died already to make sure the wisdom sticks? :(

• Like 1

The press conference with the Iranian deputy health minister is pretty amazing, and scary.

He is clearly sick and suffering. Coughing, sweating from fever and generally having a horrible time and still he's standing next to a guy addressing the people without any medical precautions.

It's like scenes from a horror movie just before it all goes to heck.

21 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I read that Dogs can actually get the virus 

WHO:

Can pets at home spread the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV)?

At present, there is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus. However, it is always a good idea to wash your hands with soap and water after contact with pets. This protects you against various common bacteria such as E.coli and Salmonella that can pass between pets and humans.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chinese officials saying that 14% of patients who had CoVID-19 and had recovered are now testing positive again

Oh FFS... 

I wonder if that’s reinfection (so you don’t develop immunity after having it once) or it just didn’t fully go away the first time? 

Dr John Campbell did a video working out the R0 of the virus and reckoned it was between 4 & 6.6 when no major quarantine measures were in place. That’s why it’s spreading so bloody quickly.

China’s one thing, where you can barricade people inside tower blocks and wait for them to die. Europe, with the Schengen zone that’s borderless by design, is something else. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

I've read about you not getting immune from this one in some article, seem to be correct then.

That's horrifying.

There have been a couple of independent groups producing genetic studies showing that the virus gene contains the same/similar attachment mechanism as that used by HIV and Ebola; hence, I suspect, if it gets into you it can find things to attach to and begin replicating before the immune system is able to muster up and kick it out/kill it again.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Chinese officials saying that 14% of patients who had CoVID-19 and had recovered are now testing positive again

I've seen a couple of interviews with experts where they say this doesn't prove that the virus is "reinfecting" people - more likely that the negative tests were wrong, and the virus was lingering longer than expected in some people, including after an apparent recovery.

One thing that really isn't helping is that every media outlet now trades only in panic-inducing clickbait. So hard to find any calm appraisals of the situation.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I've seen a couple of interviews with experts where they say this doesn't prove that the virus is "reinfecting" people - more likely that the negative tests were wrong, and the virus was lingering longer than expected in some people, including after an apparent recovery.

One thing that really isn't helping is that every media outlet now trades only in panic-inducing clickbait. So hard to find any calm appraisals of the situation.

Yes, because facts are so unsexy.

I walk up to the shop counter today, and I saw the headline on one of the national rags " Everyone will get the virus". Not helping.

On 24/02/2020 at 20:14, bickster said:

You'll notice they were "Asian Men", which is rather rich considering that their target was an "Asian Woman"

"Asian Men" is a less than subtle way of saying Muslims.

It's the Daily Mail. I'm more inclined to believe stories in The Sport

Apparently it was an Indian guy trying it on with the girl and couldn’t take rejection. His reaction was to racially insult her friend and punch the girl in the face. 

Vile Scumbag!! Hope he doesn’t get off lightly.

edit: I think this would have been reported a lot more had the guy been white. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â