Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

If I were China I would 100% be leading a crumb trail to the wet market “what can we do about evolution?” rather than the lab “we f**ked up”

Just this year in March the FBI said they believe it came from the Wuhan lab.

bbc

Cool, so basically there's nothing that can make you change your mind because China. Interesting to note that that article you link (and why is the FBI's opinion the one we care about anyway?) states there's no consensus to support the FBI, various other US departments disagree with them, and the international position of most experts was its the market.

But China.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Cool, so basically there's nothing that can make you change your mind because China. Interesting to note that that article you link (and why is the FBI's opinion the one we care about anyway?) states there's no consensus to support the FBI, various other US departments disagree with them, and the international position of most experts was its the market.

But China.

Fact is China is one of the most secretive countries on the planet so that has to be a factor.

A lab for viruses at the source site is another factor.

Then they have very good reason to try and cover it up is another.

Then they blocked WHO access to the lab is another.

You know, there’s plenty of reasons why the obvious cause might be the correct one, even if the chaps on the podcast felt differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it's more or less the same as the source I had. That shows we're worse than everyone in Western Europe except Italy where it effectively started (the source I had was the same but had us marginally above Italy, but was only to the end of 2022)

I'm not sure that's a glowing statistic to be honest

my point really was ,  lists don't  take into account any factors  ..   Covid-19 mortality during the pandemic has been highest in the Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Black Caribbean groups  .. how many  people in those ethnic groups live in Spain compared to the UK  , obesity is associated with an increased risk of death  from Covid-19  , how do we stack up against Italy in that regard  .. and so on 

For sure , there was a lot that was done wrong , I just don't think looking at a list and saying we were the worst in Western Europe gives the whole picture 

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

my point really was ,  lists don't  take into account any factors  ..   Covid-19 mortality during the pandemic has been highest in the Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Black Caribbean groups  .. how many  people in those ethnic groups live in Spain compared to the UK  , obesity is associated with an increased risk of death  from Covid-19  , how do we stack up against Italy in that regard  .. and so on 

For sure , there was a lot that was done wrong , I just don't think looking at a list and saying we were the worst in Western Europe gives the whole picture 

Of course, but when you're looking at total deaths AND excess deaths AND deaths per 100k AND deaths per cases etc etc and we're not exactly glowing in any of them, then there's a good chance we weren't exactly doing things very well

On 18/11/2023 at 17:37, bobzy said:

Yeah, it’s none of my business. I don’t really care whether someone does or doesn’t get vaccinated - but it falls under those categories.

The tragedy is children not getting vaccinated because their parents have become anti-vax. 

AS IF BY MAGIC...

"Doctors must be on high alert for measles as vaccine rates among young children have dipped to a 10-year low, leaving some unprotected and risking outbreaks of the highly infectious and dangerous virus, experts say.
It is the first time in decades the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) has issued national guidance such as this.
At least 95% of children should be double vaccinated by the age of five.
But the UK is well below that target...
...The RCPCH is worried the UK is now seeing a "devastating resurgence" of virtually eliminated life-threatening diseases such as measles, because of low vaccine uptake."
(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67485037)

Hurray for anti-vaxers!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course, but when you're looking at total deaths AND excess deaths AND deaths per 100k AND deaths per cases etc etc and we're not exactly glowing in any of them, then there's a good chance we weren't exactly doing things very well

Profiteering that cost thousands of lives and endangered our health workers.

Go out and clap.

• Like 1

Lots of kids in China with pneumonia - quite alarming to see, but apparantly it's just the other viruses that were stopped during the last 3 years with Covid measures. I bloody hope so though, cannot be doing with all this again! 

• 1 month later...

Covid hit the family over Christmas - started just before after all the pre-Christmas mingling.  Missus was pretty rough - sort of, heavy head cold/lack of energy - for a good 2 weeks in total.  I had 2 or 3 days of being tired and that was it.  Missus is healthier, I'm in a vulnerable category so get the ol' booster whenever it's available - she doesn't qualify (maybe you can get it privately?  Didn't check).  Maybe it helps.

There is talk about the rona virus vaccination being made available privately over the counter at chemist shops. 

I'd certainly buy it if I didn't qualify. 

Few people at my work are off with covid apparently. Lot of it going around it seems. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2023 at 13:51, bobzy said:

AS IF BY MAGIC...

"Doctors must be on high alert for measles as vaccine rates among young children have dipped to a 10-year low, leaving some unprotected and risking outbreaks of the highly infectious and dangerous virus, experts say.
It is the first time in decades the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) has issued national guidance such as this.
At least 95% of children should be double vaccinated by the age of five.
But the UK is well below that target...
...The RCPCH is worried the UK is now seeing a "devastating resurgence" of virtually eliminated life-threatening diseases such as measles, because of low vaccine uptake."
(Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67485037)

Hurray for anti-vaxers!

More and more anti-vaxx magic happening:

"Measles is likely to spread rapidly across more parts of the UK unless more people take up the vaccine, a senior health official has warned.
Dame Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), says vaccination rates are "well below" what is recommended by the World Health Organization.
Pop-up clinics are being introduced to get more children vaccinated as cases continue to rise.
Measles is a highly contagious disease.
It is spread by coughs and sneezes. More than 200 cases have been confirmed in the West Midlands in recent months, mostly in Birmingham.
NHS figures show uptake of both MMR doses by the age of five was considered very low in some areas in 2022-23:
74% in London
83.7% in West Midlands
85.1% in the North West
WHO recommends two-dose vaccination coverage of at least 95% of the population because measles is highly infectious and spreads easily."
(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68028530)

**** idiots.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

More and more anti-vaxx magic happening:

"Measles is likely to spread rapidly across more parts of the UK unless more people take up the vaccine, a senior health official has warned.
Dame Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), says vaccination rates are "well below" what is recommended by the World Health Organization.
Pop-up clinics are being introduced to get more children vaccinated as cases continue to rise.
Measles is a highly contagious disease.
It is spread by coughs and sneezes. More than 200 cases have been confirmed in the West Midlands in recent months, mostly in Birmingham.
NHS figures show uptake of both MMR doses by the age of five was considered very low in some areas in 2022-23:
74% in London
83.7% in West Midlands
85.1% in the North West
WHO recommends two-dose vaccination coverage of at least 95% of the population because measles is highly infectious and spreads easily."
(Link:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68028530)

**** idiots.

We are a fundamentally stupid species.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So we're nearing the end of Winter and this has barely been in the news. Is this the end of it now? Is it just a type of flu now? 

I'm wondering if they'll even bother with future vaccinations.  Or is it just that the press have lost interest? 

The whole thing seems like a weird old dream now. 

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

So we're nearing the end of Winter and this has barely been in the news. Is this the end of it now? Is it just a type of flu now? 

I'm wondering if they'll even bother with future vaccinations.  Or is it just that the press have lost interest? 

watching breathtaking on itv brought back a few memories. it does seem much longer ago than it actually was

i guess it's more a case of we know what to do now. you can get tests from boots if you need one, if cases rise then there's vaccination boosters available. so i guess to answer your questions, no it's not the end of it but yes it's considered a type of flu in the sense of living with it

i do seem to recall there was a bit of press coverage over the winter as there was quite a rise in cases

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

End of it was 2 years ago. Bunch of people clung on to the fear and recriminations though but that's down to the individual

Â