Generic Virus Thread

villakram

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I got some stick in the first lockdown for going out for a walk far away from my house or going for a drive. The problem with the "common sense" approach is that some halfwit will think "yeah I've got covid, but I'm only popping in to the corner shop for some bread" but I don't see the problem with getting some fresh air a long way away from anyone. It's probably not an ideal message to take away from a pandemic, but what I learned is that the law is an arse and I'll use my own judgment.

Along with contradictions and mixed messages from day one . 

It was a real point of friction for me during the previous lockdowns that they ‘decreed’ that you had to exercise locally, and that the beaches were closed. Zero communication on what happens when the beach is the closest walk to your house.

But the bit that I found truly distasteful was the regular tweeting from the local plod, showing photos of themselves patrolling empty beaches on horseback to help keep us all safe. Felt a bit sinister that.

Common sense had to prevail, we stuck to the pebble beaches, and were never challenged.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's probably not an ideal message to take away from a pandemic, but what I learned is that the law is an arse and I'll use my own judgment.

I agree, but the problem with that as a mindset is when a few million crayon-eaters who aren't quite as sensible or rational as you decide the same thing, and their judgement tells them that it's a good idea to do a pub-crawl and then hang out with grandma at the old people's home the following day.

9 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I agree, but the problem with that as a mindset is when a few million crayon-eaters who aren't quite as sensible or rational as you decide the same thing, and their judgement tells them that it's a good idea to do a pub-crawl and then hang out with grandma at the old people's home the following day.

I agree, absolutely, and I accept I was breaking the law and it'd be a fair cop if I got caught and fined, but as bad as things got and might get again, I refuse to self-flagellate to "set an example" when I know I've considered things carefully and have taken sensible precautions. Do I think I'm better than other people and able to make better decisions? Yes. Unapologetically yes.

• Like 1

I really don’t want us to not do things that involve literally zero risk to anyone, just because covid. We really ought to be way, way past that in terms of how we deal with this. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I really don’t want us to not do things that involve literally zero risk to anyone, just because covid. We really ought to be way, way past that in terms of how we deal with this. 

Can’t keep living like this I know that much . The domino effect it’s having with so much other stuff is unbelievable. Kids education , people’s health both mentally and physically.  Work , holidays etc etc. Kind of had to make it up as we go I get that , but can’t keep repeating the same year after year. People will just say **** it and I don’t blame them..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Army drafted in to help with the boosters now.

I am starting to think the asking the army to keep saving the day is appealing to a certain part of the voting population.

Indeed. My initial thought was "Well, that'll do **** all, again". 

There will ALWAYS be new variants.

So there will ALWAYS be a period of uncertainty over how significant they are.

So is this what it will be like ALWAYS now?

Still, no one has explained where the exit is. I don't care about masks. I do care about expectations to be jabbed (I am double but where does it end?), never being confident events/holidays can go ahead in case there's a change in regulations and the over bearing influence and excuse for corruption by politicians. If this really is it forever... I can hand on heart say I don't want to carry on. It's depressing for everyone but I struggle in good times, this feeling is beginning to feel inescapable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Indeed. My initial thought was "Well, that'll do **** all, again". 

Hmm, not wanting to go against the narrative here but the Army didn't do **** all the first time they were drafted in

For starters up here, they set up the first mass testing stations when Merseyside was chosen for the "experiment." They pretty much wrote the manual on how to set them up as a result. We were good at the testing, it was the tracing we were absoltely bobbins at, the Army had no input into that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

There will ALWAYS be new variants.

So there will ALWAYS be a period of uncertainty over how significant they are.

So is this what it will be like ALWAYS now?

Still, no one has explained where the exit is. I don't care about masks. I do care about expectations to be jabbed (I am double but where does it end?), never being confident events/holidays can go ahead in case there's a change in regulations and the over bearing influence and excuse for corruption by politicians. If this really is it forever... I can hand on heart say I don't want to carry on. It's depressing for everyone but I struggle in good times, this feeling is beginning to feel inescapable.

Well if there's a small crumb of comfort its that pandemics like this always tend to start out more deadly and as the virus mutates it usually becomes milder and the initial reports of this new mutation do seem to say it has milder symptoms

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Well if there's a small crumb of comfort its that pandemics like this always tend to start out more deadly and as the virus mutates it usually becomes milder and the initial reports of this new mutation do seem to say it has milder symptoms

A virus wants to survive. It tends to mutate to milder variants to avoid killing all  potential hosts and facing extinction itself.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Pfizer it seems to me is a **** for this. Had the same, bloody hurt. 

I was asking a doctor about this last night and he reckons there's nothing in it and it just depends on the technique of the person administering the jab

• Sad 1

Â