Generic Virus Thread

villakram

(Last post for now)

Moderna released a statement saying what they are researching in terms of tackling this strain:

• A higher dose of their current mrna vaccine (twice as strong);
  • 'two multi-valent booster candidates in the clinic that were designed to anticipate mutations such as those that have emerged in the Omicron variant';
  • an Omicron-specific booster candidate

You can read about it here: https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-strategy-address-omicron-b11529-sars-cov-2

Seems like a lot of work is already underway, which is at least a positive.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

This from yesterday 

A suburb of Birmingham has become the city’s Covid hotspot with nearly all its wards in the top 10 worst affected for coronavirus cases.

Sutton Coldfield has again become the city’s hardest hit area for Covid-19 cases, with seven of its eight wards filling the first seven places in the top 10 for highest case rates per 100,000 people in the week to November 18, the latest data available, released this week.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/sutton-coldfield-birminghams-covid-hotspot-22275543

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Kind of what I expected but I was willing to have my mind blown if there was data showing it was worthwhile. Appreciate it!

I posted a week or two ago after going to a gig at Rock City. Stood shoulder to shoulder for 4 hours with people jumping and shouting all around me, and I probably saw 10 masks all night. Then we all left and made sure we put a mask on before we got on the bus. I'd love to think solving this problem could be as simple as that, but while I'll go along with it, it seems as useful as pissing into the wind.

The one that stuck recently with me was going in the toilet in the lower Holte at half time and there must have been about 200 blokes crammed in there smoking, chanting etc.

And then you go to the supermarket masked up and told to keep your distance in the queue.

Just to bring a bit of balance since the media in general has been up to their usual scare tactics:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

South African doctor who raised alarm about omicron variant says symptoms are ‘unusual but mild’

Dr Angelique Coetzee noticed otherwise healthy patients showing unusual symptoms and worries how the new variant might hurt the elderly

Nothing to suggest, at the minute, that this is more deadly. Obviously the worry is that it could evade current vaccines and affect the vulnerable. Still, the way that this is being reported would make you think that if you contract this, it's game over. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Just to bring a bit of balance since the media in general has been up to their usual scare tactics:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

Nothing to suggest, at the minute, that this is more deadly. Obviously the worry is that it could evade current vaccines and affect the vulnerable. Still, the way that this is being reported would make you think that if you contract this, it's game over. 

Yes I read that. To summarise, it’s presenting as mild in South Africa but they don’t have any old people there so it might be worse in a country with an elderly population. A case of wait and see I suppose. 

6 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Shocking isn’t it , but not surprising. And they wonder why some people are starting to say **** it . 

9 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

The actual action by the leaders is quite firm here, more drastic than we have seen before. It’s not the media making a mountain out of a molehill. 
The UK, EU and USA all banned direct flights for the time being and the UK has implemented PCR testing and isolation for travellers.

Maybe (hopefully) with time it’ll turn out to be a bit OTT but I’d rather do it this way round personally.

11 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

What scare tactics have you seen?

Felt a bit rough myself lately, still taste my bacon sandwich this morning, but had a headache for a couple of days and just kinda don't feel right. Could it be Covid, Flu, Norovirus, or something else. Since Covid, makes me think what else is out there we don't know about.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Felt a bit rough myself lately, still taste my bacon sandwich this morning, but had a headache for a couple of days and just kinda don't feel right. Could it be Covid, Flu, Norovirus, or something else. Since Covid, makes me think what else is out there we don't know about.

I had 44 cans of IPA delivered yesterday. Tried one last night, didn't taste of anything. I'll save the rest for Christmas. 

Felt better last night though but got up this morning and felt worse... sense of smell has also now gone awol 

Could someone explain this to me.  

I drive to the Villa, buy a packet of polos from the motorway services, have a pint at the stadium, sit in the Holte End, celebrate our victory in a curry house afterwards and then go onto a nightclub.  

The only part of that day that requires a mask is buying the polos.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Could someone explain this to me.  

I drive to the Villa, buy a packet of polos from the motor services, have a pint at the stadium, sit in the Holte End, celebrate our victory in a curry house afterwards and then go onto a nightclub.  

The only part of that day that requires a mask is buying the polos. 

Yes. You can't wear a mask at the others because you are putting things in your mouth; you can at the services. The others would need to be closed, and the government have no intention of paying millions of people's wages again.

Â