Generic Virus Thread

villakram

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Cases are doubling every 11 days apparently so could well be over 30k a day in just over a week. Merkel is apparently pushing for an EU rule stating all arrivals from UK should go into quarantine. In fairness I don't blame them given our bollocks of requiring 10 days quarantine if arriving from countries with a tiny fraction of the case rates we have. 

I feel the numbers in Europe in general is pretty daft. Simply because I don't believe them. Some countries are testing more, sequencing more, and report accurate numbers.

Norway are operating on reported numbers and reported % of tests that are positive. Based on that we are giving colour codes to countries and whether quarantene is required when returning home. I don't know if this is an EU thing or not. But when I see Albania  Croatia, Greece, Italy and other countries dependant on beach tourism are reporting massive decrease in their numbers. RIGHT before summer vacs hits. Hah. I don’t buy it.

I know **** all about it all, but I am some what of a realist. Money talks.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

11 minutes ago, trekka said:

Yep, whilst the case numbers are going up, thankfully the hospitalisations aren't seeing a huge increase as per previous waves.  The vaccines are working.

I have every faith that as long as the vaccination programme gets to as many people as possible, we'll be relatively clear of this awful situation come August*.

*No doubt some "new" variant will appear during the winter...

Already lots of reports today about a Delta Plus variant.  This is the problem with having lots of cases circulating, more variants will arise and the more variants, the more chance of one becoming vaccine resistant. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Already lots of reports today about a Delta Plus variant.  This is the problem with having lots of cases circulating, more variants will arise and the more variants, the more chance of one becoming vaccine resistant. 

Indeed.  That's why the vaccines are so important - I read in the BMJ that the vaccines (after one dose) reduce transmission by something like ~40% to 50%.  Now to keep vaccinating and hope the levels go down.  I realise that this article was posted at the end of April though. 

Adults infected with covid-19 three weeks after receiving one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine were 38-49% less likely to pass the virus on to their household contacts than people who were unvaccinated, a preprint released by Public Health England has shown

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, trekka said:

Indeed.  That's why the vaccines are so important - I read in the BMJ that the vaccines (after one dose) reduce transmission by something like ~40% to 50%.  Now to keep vaccinating and hope the levels go down.  I realise that this article was posted at the end of April though. 

Yep, some Dr from Sage said this morning that people double jabbed are 50% less likely to pass it on than those without so that totally ties in. 

Also explains how important it it to vaccinate the whole world as well. 

• Like 1

Well covid isn't much fun! Had my first dose of vaccine two weeks ago, and have definitely got much milder symptoms than my partner who hasn't had hers yet, so at least that's something. 

Mostly feel a bit like I'm on a comedown if I'm honest. Will be interesting (probably not the right word) to see if the rise in infections corresponds to a rise in hospitalisations/deaths - third wave seemingly not as devastating as the first two just yet 

14 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Well covid isn't much fun! Had my first dose of vaccine two weeks ago, and have definitely got much milder symptoms than my partner who hasn't had hers yet, so at least that's something. 

Mostly feel a bit like I'm on a comedown if I'm honest. Will be interesting (probably not the right word) to see if the rise in infections corresponds to a rise in hospitalisations/deaths - third wave seemingly not as devastating as the first two just yet 

Good luck to you and the other half. Hope you both recover quickly. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trekka said:

Yep, whilst the case numbers are going up, thankfully the hospitalisations aren't seeing a huge increase as per previous waves.  The vaccines are working.

I have every faith that as long as the vaccination programme gets to as many people as possible, we'll be relatively clear of this awful situation come August*.

*No doubt some "new" variant will appear during the winter...

That's the end game for this, surely? We're constantly testing, so cases will keep coming in - but as along as hospitalisations and deaths don't go up then that's the data they want to see.

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

That's the end game for this, surely? We're constantly testing, so cases will keep coming in - but as along as hospitalisations and deaths don't go up then that's the data they want to see.

I think to a certain extent there's a kind of unspoken and not-to-be-admitted element of seeking the herd immunity threshold through controlled spread of infection among younger age groups at schools and universities too.

• Like 1

Despite there being an abundance of test capacity now they still don’t test primary school children. I think a bit of a blind eye is given to them as they’ll probably all get it without knowing, and build up a level of immunity. 

I think I'm pretty far on the scale towards 'cases don't matter, and to some extent are good' to be honest. It seems like it might be hard to hit the herd immunity threshold through vaccinations alone, as age bands under 45 aren't getting jabbed in the necessary proportions.

I know people get angry when it seems like you're saying something that seems to be minimising 'long covid', but I think we have to be realistic about this. Endless restrictions hurt kids too:

. . . and I know of parents who can't visit in-person the schools that their kids are starting at etc. Post-viral fatigue is real, and some younger people will unfortunately get longer term symptoms, but if we don't meet the herd immunity threshold through vaccinations, plenty of people will get the same symptoms through the spread of covid, it's just that they may be older on average and therefore it may be proportionally more deadly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

My sons school has had to cancel their year 6 leavers picnic (which was replacing the cancelled leavers prom) because it’s too dangerous to have the 60 children and their parents on the school field for an hour.

Yet the green light is given to Silverstone to host 140,000. 
60,000 will be at Wembley too for both of the semi’s of the Euros.

The worlds gone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

My sons school has had to cancel their year 6 leavers picnic (which was replacing the cancelled leavers prom) because it’s too dangerous to have the 60 children and their parents on the school field for an hour.

Yet the green light is given to Silverstone to host 140,000. 
60,000 will be at Wembley too for both of the semi’s of the Euros.

The worlds gone.

The restrictions on outdoor activities are completely unjustified at this point. I've heard so many stories about picnics and sports days cancelled, and it's just obvious that standing around outdoors - you could even distance if people felt more comfortable that way - is not any danger.

I don't really think Silverstone is much danger either, but hard to justify that while not stuff for kids outdoors.

• Like 3

Â