Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Going on a European city trip in a couple of weeks. First Gdansk, Krakow, and some areas between Katowice and smaller towns, before we fly out to Greece, Spain or Italy.

Wonder if the third wave will hit when we're there though.

Is it a lot worse in the UK now?

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Found it interesting that all regions of England have over 70% of people over 18 already vaccinated with at least 1 dose apart from London which is lingering on 58%

Matches my personal experiences where my in-laws in London were months behind being offered the vaccine compared to my parents in Birmingham. Wonder if they are struggling to keep up with demand in the capital

2 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Found it interesting that all regions of England have over 70% of people over 18 already vaccinated with at least 1 dose apart from London which is lingering on 58%

Matches my personal experiences where my in-laws in London were months behind being offered the vaccine compared to my parents in Birmingham. Wonder if they are struggling to keep up with demand in the capital

Westminster has been favouring Wales for a long time and this confirms it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I assume this means London didn't get more vaccines relatively, than the rest of the country?

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Moderna. 

Not yet, just chilling for 15 mins after right now. 

Same one I had. Arm was killing me after a day or so, but nothing else. My gf is contemplating taking a vaccine in Poland when we travel there in a couple of week. Not sure how it would work out though, but locally and when we return to Norway.

I guess it's the JJ vaccine that's available to those who ask? Dunno, but that's how it is here.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I noticed this table on the latest government report, it all looks as you’d expect apart from deaths. 

A36-D694-B-7-FA6-45-B8-9-BFC-F5-C10-D3-B

37 people who have had at least 1 vaccine versus 34 who were unvaccinated. What’s that about? It doesn’t seem right when the vaccine shows that you’re much less likely to get ill and go into hospital.

Why are more people dieing after 2 jabs plus 14 days than just after 1?

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I noticed this table on the latest government report, it all looks as you’d expect apart from deaths. 

A36-D694-B-7-FA6-45-B8-9-BFC-F5-C10-D3-B

37 people who have had at least 1 vaccine versus 34 who were unvaccinated. What’s that about? It doesn’t seem right when the vaccine shows that you’re much less likely to get ill and go into hospital.

Why are more people dieing after 2 jabs plus 14 days than just after 1?

What is ^ referring to on deaths?

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'm not sure it is that tbh

Birmingham and the West Mids seemed to be ahead of huge swathes of the country in age groups all the way through

London is a bit different, I wonder if some of the people registered as living in London aren't actually there, Masses of people moved out during the pandemic and working from home, they buggered off to second homes or parents etc. I'm not sure how back to normal London currently is

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What is ^ referring to on deaths?

Sorry, forgot to link the document. I’ll add it in now

fyi.

^ Total deaths in any setting (regardless of hospitalisation status) within 28 days of positive specimen date.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Same one I had. Arm was killing me after a day or so, but nothing else. My gf is contemplating taking a vaccine in Poland when we travel there in a couple of week. Not sure how it would work out though, but locally and when we return to Norway.

I guess it's the JJ vaccine that's available to those who ask? Dunno, but that's how it is here.

We have a website where you put in your details, where you want to have it and you can go down the list and choose when and which. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We're talking about such small numnbers I'm not sure how much statistical significance there is between the 34 and 27, vaccinated vs non-vaccinated 

It’s 34 unvaccinated and 37 vaccinated.

It suggests you’re much less likely to get the virus, and if you get it need to go to hospital. However, you’re more likely to die if you’ve been vaccinated (which I’m sure is not the case).

I would expect, looking at the other cells, that death after vaccination to be much lower. 5-10 maybe. The fact it’s actually higher looks really odd.

Demographics skewing it perhaps? The vaccinated are more likely to be those older and/or with other conditions, which is particularly relevant with your post below.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

^ Total deaths in any setting (regardless of hospitalisation status) within 28 days of positive specimen date.

I don't want to borrow a catchphrase from anti-vaxxers, but it's very relevant here that we're talking about deaths *with* covid rather than deaths from covid. The vaccinated are a group more likely to die from other things due to being a group containing the elderly and otherwise vulnerable.

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Demographics skewing it perhaps? The vaccinated are more likely to be those older and/or with other conditions, which is particularly relevant with your post below.

I don't want to borrow a catchphrase from anti-vaxxers, but it's very relevant here that we're talking about deaths *with* covid rather than deaths from covid. The vaccinated are a group more likely to die from other things due to being a group containing the elderly and otherwise vulnerable.

Yep, after thinking about it that’s more likely it. They’ve been vaccinated but likely to have died from something else, due to the demographic of those that are fully vaccinated.

Had a great weekend at Download Pilot 😁 Was nice to feel a real sense of proper normality again. Let's hope everyones PCR tests come back negative. We need to take it 5 days after (Friday).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MCU said:

Had a great weekend at Download Pilot 😁 Was nice to feel a real sense of proper normality again. Let's hope everyones PCR tests come back negative. We need to take it 5 days after (Friday).

How was it? Did many people wear masks even though they weren’t obligated to? Did it feel like a normal festival, I avoid saying a normal download as I have been 4 times and know it was seriously reduced numbers.  

Â