Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My sons school has had to cancel their year 6 leavers picnic (which was replacing the cancelled leavers prom) because it’s too dangerous to have the 60 children and their parents on the school field for an hour.

Yet the green light is given to Silverstone to host 140,000. 
60,000 will be at Wembley too for both of the semi’s of the Euros.

The worlds gone.

Test events innit. Unsure how you obtain this mythical status though. 

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Test events innit. Unsure how you obtain this mythical status though. 

You threaten to open anyway I think. Then Boris shits his pants and declares it an official test / pilot event.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Did Lloyd-Twuntfaces's theatres open?

Looks like he backed down.

I thought I’d read that Boris was going to bend over backwards to try and accommodate ALW but seems he hasn’t.

Edit: it looks like Boris did offer to make the opening of Cinderella happen as a “pilot” but Webber rejected it as he wanted the whole industry to be exempt.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

I'm suprised other European countries are not registering big uplifts in infections.  Delta variant is in most countries.  We saw how quick it went from Zero to loads here, and we have far more vaccinated people.  However most European nations still have way way way below our numbers.  Yet strangely their deaths still remain very high compared to us. 

Are we just testing far more than other countries? I can't understand how Delta isn't exploding elsewhere like here? 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm suprised other European countries are not registering big uplifts in infections.  Delta variant is in most countries.  We saw how quick it went from Zero to loads here, and we have far more vaccinated people.  However most European nations still have way way way below our numbers.  Yet strangely their deaths still remain very high compared to us. 

Are we just testing far more than other countries? I can't understand how Delta isn't exploding elsewhere like here? 

The UK is the placebo group. 

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yes, that's exactly it, and we need to do *much, much* less of it.

Insert trump.gif here.

53 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that's exactly it, and we need to do *much, much* less of it.

Insert trump.gif here.

Please point me in the direction of where I suggested this was a bad thing? 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I didn't say you did!

Apologies if you didn't mean to but it came over as that was what you were implying I was suggesting 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Apologies if you didn't mean to but it came over as that was what you were implying I was suggesting 👍

No worries.

To break down my response, 'Yes, that's exactly it' was me agreeing with your question in the affirmative. If all other things are equal - same variant, same prevalence of the variant, same strength of the variant - but other European countries have more hospitalisations and fewer positive tests, then the difference must be that we are testing more people, and getting more asymptomatic positive results.

'We need to do *much, much* less of it' is me responding to that point by giving my opinion, which is that we should do less testing. This is a sincere opinion of mine, I don't know whether you share it. Part of 'returning to normal' is not testing people all the time to see if they are carrying any viral infections. It's always worth asking what benefit we draw from any particular government intervention, and most of what we get from testing so many people at this point is interrupted travel plans and restrictions on the one hand, and lots of kids being sent home from school for what must seem like no good reason (and at severe impact to their mental health) on the other. Testing is a safety blanket, it shouldn't be a new normal; we need to look for ways to reduce it.

'Insert trump.gif here' was a joke referring back to my gif of the other day:

tenor.gif

The 'joke' (okay, maybe it's not much of a joke) is that while he was 100% wrong when he said it - we were in the early stages of the pandemic, and needed to find and isolate cases, not sweep the crisis under a rug - he would be correct (IMO) if he were saying the same thing today.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Testing is a safety blanket, it shouldn't be a new normal; we need to look for ways to reduce it.

I strongly disagree. Testing provides data. How much virus is there. Where is it prevalent. Is it increasing or decreasing. Are the vaccines slowing the spread. Data. Only once we know the facts can we act in an informed manner.

The virus is still here. It’s still growing. By knowing what percentage of positive tests in which age groups end up seriously ill we can again act accordingly. Accordingly might mean no restrictions, it might mean reduced restrictions, it might mean increasing rules. Absence or lack of data is really disadvantageous in managing public health.

But, I do agree that once we have a really low incidence of cases that then we can reduce and hopefully even remove the need for testing on any scale or regularity. That time isn’t now. Nowhere near. 

• Like 1

Second Moderna jab done this morning ahead of my scheduled appointment.

Feeling ok and arm not as heavy/numb as with the first one. Had no side effects last night so hoping this isn’t a second jab killer! 

Mrs TBA had her second AZ jab yesterday and is a little queasy this morning but that may have something to do with waking next to me every day 😂

• Like 4

My second jab was scheduled for 17th of July, but I had a message yesterday saying I could change it to an earlier date. Ended up getting an appointment for later this afternoon. 

The government have f####d up an awful lot during this pandemic, but I must say that this vaccine role out seems to have gone pretty well on the face of it. 

28 minutes ago, av1 said:

The government have f####d up an awful lot during this pandemic, but I must say that this NHS vaccine role out seems to have gone pretty well on the face of it. 

FTFY

Its no concidence that the one thing the govt have left in the hands of the usual authorities has actually worked

• Like 1

Â