Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm gobsmacked that's not all over BBC website and other news sources. 

You would think that's a top story! 

Me too, and I think the reporting of this needs to be very careful.

On the one hand, people need to realise that one dose doesn't make you invulnerable (this should already be quite clear, but you know), but on the other hand, you don't want people thinking that the vaccine doesn't work at all.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Me too, and I think the reporting of this needs to be very careful.

On the one hand, people need to realise that one dose doesn't make you invulnerable (this should already be quite clear, but you know), but on the other hand, you don't want people thinking that the vaccine doesn't work at all.

You also don't want care assistants deciding when an infection took place

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm gobsmacked that's not all over BBC website and other news sources. 

You would think that's a top story! 

I'm not. Scaring people that the Golden Goose Vaccine is not actually working would not be a good idea. They know the risk they are taking staggering the doses, there will still be people who get covid and die even after 1 dose, it is not expected it will give 100% protection from serious illness, especially for care home residents. Even the full 2 doses vaccine regime isn't 100% effective, no vaccine is. 

Edited by villa89

Just now, bickster said:

You also don't want care assistants deciding when an infection took place

True. I was only sharing what I watched, though I should've considered if the dates lined up. I think he said they were vaccinated in early December, which is just about possible if they were among the first. No mention of when they became ill though.

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

TBH this is me unironically whenever an epidemiologist is interviewed on Radio 4 these days:

tenor.png

Case in point number 1:

Just **** off already. I'm not doing this until 'this time next year'. **** off **** off **** off **** off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I'm not. Scaring people that the Golden Goose Vaccine is not actually working would not be a good idea. 

I still think the press would find it irresistible and would be pressing to go back to the 21 day dose regime. 

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Just **** off already. I'm not doing this until 'this time next year'. **** off **** off **** off **** off.

2 years in lockdown :D

Just complete insanity, they can **** the **** off.

• Like 1

Oh look, here's another one:

Got a feeling that 'epidemiologists' (broadly defined; Devi Sridha doesn't even have a real background in it IIRC) are going to replace telemarketers, boy racers, political journalists and QCs at the top of my list of 'most hated groups of people ready for room 101'.

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Oh look, here's another one:

Got a feeling that 'epidemiologists' (broadly defined; Devi Sridha doesn't even have a real background in it IIRC) are going to replace telemarketers, boy racers, political journalists and QCs at the top of my list of 'most hated groups of people ready for room 101'.

COVID is obviously awful, but living with countermeasures forever, for such a non-lethal (I mean it isnt smallpox) would be complete and utter madness.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

COVID is obviously awful, but living with countermeasures forever, for such a non-lethal (I mean it isnt smallpox) would be complete and utter madness.

Yeah, as the guy says, he needs to be specific about what 'some kind of counter-measures' actually means. If he means sick pay for workers in care homes and me washing my hands when I get home, then fine, whatever. If he means restrictions on indoor recreation forever, then obviously he can **** right off.

Also, the long-term counter-measures are a matter for politicians, and need to have public consent from the governed, and he is a scientist and it isn't his role to determine long-term public health policy. These guys need to get back into their silos frankly.

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know what you mean - its unthinkable we could be doing this in 12 months time. There will be nothing left of the country.

There will have to be a point in time, when the vaccine has been given to everyone who needs/wants it, that we open up as normal and move forward and have to sadly accept covid deaths like we do flu deaths or pneumonia deaths. 

• Like 2

They are speaking from a purely scientific theoretic perfect world scenario.

Same as they are doing now future Governments will need to weigh up the danger to public health v keeping life and the economy as normal as they can.

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I know what you mean - its unthinkable we could be doing this in 12 months time. There will be nothing left of the country.

There will have to be a point in time, when the vaccine has been given to everyone who needs/wants it, that we open up as normal and move forward and have to sadly accept covid deaths like we do flu deaths or pneumonia deaths. 

I agree with your point but deaths are not the problem for the government (assuming people do it quietly in their own home). 
It’s the clogging up of the NHS with the sick but not dead types.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Absolutely. Even if we take the most pessimistic timetable, and say all in the most vulnerable groups have to wait 12 weeks for their second dose and then another 12 weeks for maxmum immunity (and I think even this timetable is way too slow) we are talking about June or July *this* year, not January *next* year.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need a vaccine, because I'm in the 'highly at-risk' category for the degenerative disease of 'starting to agree with the likes of Steve Baker about things'.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

100%.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

I'll just move to China. They seem to have it sorted :ph34r:

A colleague of mine was out there when it all kicked off. They rushed him and the other Brits back here.

He wishes he’d stayed out there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree with your point but deaths are not the problem for the government (assuming people do it quietly in their own home). 
It’s the clogging up of the NHS with the sick but not dead types.

Absolutely. We need to get the hospitals prepared and able to cope. Did Boris say 40 new hospitals?! 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Absolutely. We need to get the hospitals prepared and able to cope. Did Boris say 40 new hospitals?! 

If they custom built hospitals for covid (could call then nightingales or something?) then they could get the country and the rest of the NHS up and running again. It would be expensive, but surely less than stopping everything as now. 

Â