Generic Virus Thread

villakram

51 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Just imagine anyone saying the above in the positive(ish)* context that you are, three, six or nine months ago and just think what a catastrophic failure must have happened to get to that point. 

*I appreciate you're not saying these number are good, just that they are comparatively not as bad

At this point I'm just looking for downward trends in cases and deaths and increases in vaccinations. 

For me each day feels like one step at a time. 

Just now, bickster said:

Unless of course they'd vaccinated the vast majority of the public before they released it into the wild..... /s

Which of course could be a possibility. Forced vaccination on a massive scale.  

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't believe anything about the numbers coming out of China. 

We've seen how it rips through communities unless there is a total lockdown. They are still fairly open for the most part with loads of crowded cities.  No way are they declaring what's going on. 

They did have a total lockdown.

They literally welded doors to apartments shut rather than asking people to self isolate. They had people present at their balconies daily to be scanned by drones for a fever, anyone with a temperature was carted away by men in hazmat suits. Their citizens were not even allowed out of the house to go to the supermarket, the military dropped food rations at people’s houses so they wouldn’t starve.

Only once the virus had burnt itself out completely we’re people allowed to go out again and they have maintained a pretty close watch on new arrivals and new clusters since.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They did have a total lockdown.

They literally welded doors to apartments shut rather than asking people to self isolate. They had people present at their balconies daily to be scanned by drones for a fever, anyone with a temperature was carted away by men in hazmat suits. Their citizens were not even allowed out of the house to go to the supermarket, the military dropped food rations at people’s houses so they wouldn’t starve.

Only once the virus had burnt itself out completely we’re people allowed to go out again and they have maintained a pretty close watch on new arrivals and new clusters since.  

That stopped a while ago. This disease goes from zero to volcano in weeks. I don't believe them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That stopped a while ago. This disease goes from zero to volcano in weeks. I don't believe them. 

Well we’ll never know the truth of what goes on in China but Australia and NZ have also managed to keep things under control after an initial outbreak earlier last year. It’s a lot easier when you have close to zero cases to then keep it suppressed but once it’s out of control it’s very difficult to get it back. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 17:33, trekka said:

My folks took a phone call from the local GP surgery today.  They asked for my old man to get him in for the jab (in his 70s, has COPD).  He said "what about my wife?" (also in her 70s but wasn't then on the initial call-out list). 

Both are now in tomorrow for the first dose.  A relief I must say. 

It was a pretty slick operation at the local surgery (not a large surgery by any means).  They had a precise time of 17:28 to be there and were in and out in no time.  Once they had the jab, they went out via a separate exit to a big heated tent (with socially-distanced chairs) where they were asked to sit down for 15 minutes.  A doctor was on standby inside the tent watching on telling each and every person who came in "well done".  It was the Pfizer jab they had. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well we’ll never know the truth of what goes on in China but Australia and NZ have also managed to keep things under control after an initial outbreak earlier last year. It’s a lot easier when you have close to zero cases to then keep it suppressed but once it’s out of control it’s very difficult to get it back. 

Australia are also a very outdoor lifestyle nation currently in the middle of summer (when we know Covid doesn't spread as quickly).

Also a nation of a few cities with gigantic spaces of nothing for thousands of miles.  It's a bit of an unusual country for a Pandemic to explode. 

I do keep coming back in my kind to our crowded island and the number of people per KM. We definitely are a place which a communicable disease would find an easy target. 

Another reason why I get suspicious of China and those densely populated mega cities.  But agreed, we will never know. 

Edited by sidcow

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Me neither.

If the borders are open the virus will get in. 

This is bizarre paranoia. They got their outbreak under control. People who arrive in the country are quarantined in hotels. Lots of other countries have managed to do the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which other comparable northern hemisphere country has got it under control like China?

India, not under control like CHina but India's current death rate is about 140 a day, oh and they peaked in the late summer for the people that think this is seasonal, there is no evidence to support Covid having a seasonal nature

When you imagine how densly populated the country is, how large the population is and how poor the vast majority of the country is then compare it to the UK (and also the supposed susceptibility of BAME people are to the virus)

I don't think its bizarre to question China, they're not exactly renowned for their honesty in other matters. 

However, there are very low deaths for other East Asian nations like Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and even in SE Asia like Thailand and Malaysia. 

Maybe they are genetically better at dealing with this particular virus. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which other comparable northern hemisphere country has got it under control like China?

Barely any cases in several neighbouring countries, including Taiwan, Vietnam and Mongolia; Thailand has had barely any until the last few weeks. And why are we limiting ourselves to northern hemisphere countries? As LL said above, Australia and New Zealand have achieved the same thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I don't think its bizarre to question China, they're not exactly renowned for their honesty in other matters. 

However, there are very low deaths for other East Asian nations like Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and even in SE Asia like Thailand and Malaysia. 

You're right to point out that other neighbouring/regional countries have done much better, but I suspect the reason is more to do with a] having better preparedness due to more extensive prior pandemic experience, and b] taking it extremely seriously from minute 1 because of a well-earned suspicion of the Chinese government's honesty (as you mention).

I agree that the Chinese government is not particularly honest or transparent, but it's not North Korea, if they were taking people out to the countryside and shooting them in the head we'd know about it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

if they were taking people out to the countryside and shooting them in the head we'd know about it.

Unless they were Uighurs, then the world would just turn a blind eye. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think there is also a cultural collectivism in countries like Korea, Japan and Taiwan that doesn’t really exist in the west to the same degree. For example Koreans have been happy to let their government track their movements via their mobile so their ‘track and trace’ is has been very effective. There is no way we’d just go along with that. The western mentality of individuality is great in a lot of ways but doesn’t suit itself particularly well to an event like this. Things like levels of obesity and diabetes are lower as well which probably helps.

At the end of the day there is not going to be any one reason to explain differences in different places but a whole combination of little factors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Things like levels of obesity and diabetes are lower as well which probably helps.

That is a great point actually. I wonder if you put a list of the countries with the worst covid death rates against the most unhealthy nations in the world, what sort of crossover would there be?

1 minute ago, Xela said:

That is a great point actually. I wonder if you put a list of the countries with the worst covid death rates against the most unhealthy nations in the world, what sort of crossover would there be?

and countries with the most social media medical experts and conspiracy theorists 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apart from all the experts saying it is

Yes it is a coronavirus, it is pretty clear that it is seasonal for places that are away from the equator and actually get winter seasons. Places like Australia and Chile had a tough time with it in June July whereas the northern hemisphere is back in the spotlight now.

• Like 1

Â