Generic Virus Thread

villakram

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Plus of course the history of viruses is GENERALLY that when they mutate they're more virulent and less deadly. 

Who knows, maybe most common cold viruses today were like Covid-19 1,000 years ago. 

Not long ago I was watching a documentary on a really remote Amazon tribe in Peru or Brazil, can't remember which now, and the Indigenous Peoples Protection Department was trying to stop them from stealing things (like tools or chairs or whatever) from outposts of modern civilisation because they can get *EDIT* flu from them, and then possibly quite easily die from it, even if they're young! :s

Edited by robby b
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, robby b said:

Not long ago I was watching a documentary on a really remote Amazon tribe in Peru or Brazil, can't remember which now, and the Indigenous Peoples Protection Department was trying to stop them from stealing things (like tools or chairs or whatever) from outposts of modern civilisation because they can get a common cold from them, and then easily and quite quickly die from it! :s

I've read that one of the reasons Asian population hasn't been hit as badly as Europe (although they are vastly more populated) is that coronaviruses are much more prelevant in that part of the world.

I don't know if that's true and haven't read up on it, but it seems logical.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

At least this’ll keep Elton John and Ginger Busker from having the Christmas No.1… 

what an utter disgrace that man is… 😞

Now been arrested after being videoed telling a crowd to "hammer MPs to death" and that they should go and burn down their MPs' constituency office.

As has been said before, to somehow be both the worst Corbyn AND the worst Piers takes some doing.

Edit - just a little reminder about the sort of nobber who takes Piers Corbyn and his dangerous views seriously.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Edit: Ref the severity of the lockdown though, it does sound quite harsh. 

I suspect its becasue of capacity in the hospitals,  Germany is usually the overflow for Holland but that's gone now.

In Holland its also becasue they don't have people to cover the ICU's so if the Doctors / Nurses get it now I think we are in trouble.

But still,  the numbers have reduced by 30-40 % in the last week so I really dont understand,  unless people dont get tested anymore.

12 minutes ago, MCU said:

Is it quite common for people to show up negative on a lateral but positive on a PCR?

Lateral flows can throw up false negatives (not many false positives though), while PCRs can still sometimes give positive results for weeks or even months after infection, but you would unlikely be contagious at the point especially if the lateral flow is negative.

So basically it depends if you think/know that you had it recently. Or just do a few more lateral flows to rule out false negative.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

So, for the past 2 months we've seen an ~2% case to hospitalisation rate at a 7 day lag. So that means if someone tests positive it'll be 7 days before they go to hospital. 

London data comes out the earliest so looking at the data the 13th 14th and 15th all had number of cases over 20k. Which means by the 20th, 21st and 22nd we should see hospital admissions over 500 per day for those three days. If it's lower than that then it's a sign Omicron is less severe.

London has an oddness about vaccinations in that there is a sizable number of over 80s who are unvaccinated. Only 83% have had 2 doses and 72% have had booster. This is over 10% less than the 75-79 age group who are 93% and 83% respectively. In fact it's only when we get to the 35-39 year age group that we get below that 83% double vaccinated. It's quite odd actually why London is an outlier in this age group.

26 minutes ago, MCU said:

Is it quite common for people to show up negative on a lateral but positive on a PCR?

The VAST majority of people I know who have had it first picked it up on lateral flow. 

However I was talking to a bloke last week who had 2 lateral flow tests which were negative but had a PCR test anyway and was positive. Only AFTER that did the lateral flow tests start turning positive. 

Now possibly the first 2 tests he had were faulty or he didn't do them properly, but I wonder if they can't pick it up till it's reached a certain strength whereas PCR is more sensitive and can pick it up at lower levels. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I thought it was the other way round.

It's not. If you're not symptomatic or pre symptomatic the lateral flow test is about 40% accurate to my memory. The PCR is much higher.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

With the projected 2 million cases a day, fast maths says it will have gone through the whole population in just over a month.

We were supposed to be at 1.3m per day yesterday based on the experts projections of doubling cases every 1.9 days. However they've already been proved wildly false as the London cases have been flat for the last 5 days now around 25k cases. If we see a drop in London cases by end next week then we are following the path shown with the Guateng data. 

It's a rapid increase and then a peak very quickly.

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I caught it 2 weeks after my booster. Omicron is ripping through, just have to hope it’s mild. Certainly is for me, barely registering as a cold.

My friend was clear of it in 6 days. Never had any symptoms. From positive test to no trace of covid, 6 days so people are getting over it quicker than previously too

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If people aren't vaccinated now, chances are they won't be.

I maintain they're selfish pricks but, hey, their body etc. etc. 

I do think that in the USA this will prove a good thing. Lots of Republicans dying because they won't get the vaccine is good for the world. 

• Like 1

Â