Generic Virus Thread

villakram

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There is an argument to say it would cause more harm tbf. Children aren't really at threat from COVID from what I've read, but can spread the disease. So if they cancel schools, who looks after the kids? A large portion of NHS workers will have children, so that could prevent them from working at this rather busy time. If they have parents who could look after their children, it puts them at risk as they will likely be 60+. 

Just playing devils advocate. 

This is exactly my situation. 

• Like 1

Righto.We've a dilemma.Flying to NZ through Qatar and Sydney on Wednesday.Back on April 6th all with BA/Qatar Airways.Qatar Airways offering transfer or a flight voucher with a year limit if change  3 days before departure.Advice?

Edited by Derryvillan

For those who have some time spare (which looks like all of us will do shortly). Another great podcast from Joe Rogan, this time with a well known expert on infectious diseases.

Stick this on even on your way back from work - very interesting, unbias interview. 

Yes, there is an argument for keeping schools open. But we don't know if that is the right decision.

Edited by Mic09
  • Thanks 1

Delay it mate. You can't say how it'll look in a month and you dont want to be stuck.

As for the behaviour science, they don't want people to get bored before the peak hits. It just seems a little 'I have a bridge to sell you'.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

There is an argument to say it would cause more harm tbf. Children aren't really at threat from COVID from what I've read, but can spread the disease. So if they cancel schools, who looks after the kids? A large portion of NHS workers will have children, so that could prevent them from working at this rather busy time. If they have parents who could look after their children, it puts them at risk as they will likely be 60+. 

Just playing devils advocate. 

Keeping kids out of school is basically a two fold approach.

Firstly, schools are petri dishes. Kids pass bugs around them like they're going out of fashion, and they basically become a reservoir for illnesses. They then attract large numbers of people to them (because of people picking up their kids etc) and that spreads any bugs that the kids have managed to get far and wide.

The second part, though, is precisely because of the childcare angle. By taking kids out of school you tie up parents and further reduce spread by basically keeping them at home. Which is basically what we need to do at the moment. It's achieving it by roundabout means.

The problem is, you're going to knacker the economy in the process. Unavoidably. And at the moment Western governments, and most obviously the UK, seem to be weighing the damage of a **** ton of dead citizens on the economy as less than keeping people alive but having companies slow down for a while. So dead citizens it is.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How do the kids get to school? Adults who are infected do the school run and infect others?

Well yeah, I guess?

It's going to be impossible to contain at this point. 

I think they’ve seriously misjudged this statement socially.  I know I dislike the Tories and mistrust them, but people have shown in this country they don't care for being guided by science.

I know they are saying they're being guided by “the science”, but their approach is clearly radically different from the approach being adopted by many other countries - are those countries’ scientists all just wrong? People will wonder. People are worried, anxious & frustrated now. A lot of those people are going to be panicked & angry about this.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Italy now looking at 250 infections per million people. 

198 dead today, over 1,000 dead overall and over 1,000 people in a serious condition.

That's shocking.

And we're 4 weeks away from it apparently. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Italy now looking at 250 infections per million people. 

198 dead today, over 1,000 dead overall and over 1,000 people in a serious condition.

That's shocking.

Wasn't that yesterday? Probably another 400 today...

Soccer Club i work for in Charlotte NC shut down till April 1

The us soccer development league shut down thru May 1

High School athletics in my district in SC still on as is school, but this will change very quickly me thinks!

On 26/01/2020 at 08:49, Rugeley Villa said:

It will pass. There will no doubt be cases here in the UK, but can’t see it doing too much damage. Until China get to grips with their disgusting animal food trade, then it will keep happening.

This aged well mate :)

50 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Righto.We've a dilemma.Flying to NZ through Qatar and Sydney on Wednesday.Back on April 6th all with BA/Qatar Airways.Qatar Airways offering transfer or a flight voucher with a year limit if change  3 days before departure.Advice?

Similar situation to you, I fly to Australia on Tuesday via Dubai, back on April 3rd.

I'm going ahead with it, I would imagine the borders will remain open to UK Citizens as the USA are doing.

36 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Credit to the 2 scientists, they are explaining it well and it makes sense.

BUT

Why are we the only European country doing it this way? That's where I'm lost.

The 2 scientists are a class act, however they are clearly getting advice from (and accepting advice from) “behavioural scientists” on the impact of different interventions, and this is where a lot of people (not just laypeople, but epidemiologists, scientists, social scientists, psychologists, etc) seem to be querying the robustness of the evidence.

David Halpern will have a lot to answer for. Ultimately the only thing I can say that I know for certain is that “behavioural science” is not a science as most people understand it. And its practitioners have a long history of favouring quirky, counterintuitive approaches to problems. This has all the hallmarks of academic showboating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is that it? Really?

it's also nonsense, I've had a cold for a good three weeks. The symptoms for a cold are not the symptoms for COVID-19, I have very few of those symptoms at all apart from a very mildly snotty nose

Â