Generic Virus Thread

villakram

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

HAHA reminds me, I should join Costco again

As I said I blame the Daily Heil, think that ones in Australia.

You should rejoin @bickster,  will have plenty of toilet roll this weekend.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But isn't that near enough an impossibility as it's only really a problem for the old and/or infirm?

Younger doctors and nurses were dying from it in Wuhan in the beginning, but whether that’s down to high level of exposure to the virus, or this emerging theory that the original L strain of the virus in Wuhan (apparently there’s an S & an L) being more infectious and lethal, who knows? 

Risk definitely goes up significantly for over 60’s and rockets to about 14% death rate for over 80’s. If you’ve got anything to say to your grandparents, don’t put it off! 

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Exactly the same for me. Woke up Monday morning and was aching across the shoulders and really tired. Decided to work from home and dose up on painkillers. Had a dry tickly cough for ages from a cold I had around Christmas. 

Do feel better today and to be fair my boss is sound and she said just work from home for however long you need. That has definitely helped. The thought of public transport depresses me at the minute. 

Similar to me. Last Monday I started to flag badly at work, when I finally got home I was feeling decidedly dodgy and then basically had a week where I existed in a limbo between being in bed and sleeping for ridiculous lengths of time (I slept for 15hrs one night) and the loo. Coupled to just feeling run down and feverish and headache-y. A week of that, gained a cough and the distinct feeling of having a cold that hasn't quite broken through, still feeling tired and my shoulders and chest ache. But I feel better than I did.

Could be the virus, probably isn't and is just some other bug, but if it was there's not a great deal I can do about it. I'm not super ill at all, I just had a week where I felt shit. Like a milder version of glandular fever.

From the WHO head: 

He could have added, this is NOT like seasonal flu. Amazingly some people still think China consciously cratered their economy over a nasty cold. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Awol said:

From the WHO head: 

He could have added, this is NOT like seasonal flu. Amazingly some people still think China consciously cratered their economy over a nasty cold. 

Do you think he is suggesting that the UK should adopt a more heavy handed approach ...like china.

I think that Johnson is sort of trying to weather the storm ...but focusing on what is left after the virus has ripped through the UK. 

I am not convinced we will see any sort of lock down. Quite surprised crufts is still going ahead.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Do you think he is suggesting that the UK should adopt a more heavy handed approach ...like china.

I think that Johnson is sort of trying to weather the storm ...but focusing on what is left after the virus has ripped through the UK. 

I am not convinced we will see any sort of lock down. Quite surprised crufts is still going ahead.

I think it might be in reference to a number of countries including the US and Indonesia.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Think it’s directed more towards countries like the Netherlands and New Zealand. Both telling their people that carriers aren’t infectious until they start displaying symptoms. Stuff like that is insane. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

According to Trump’s latest tweet the US has had 11 deaths so far but are reporting only 129 people have had the virus. If that were true the death rate on those numbers is almost 1 in 10. Clearly far more people in the US must be infected but are not being tested and captured in the numbers. They are presumably going about their business infecting others.  

I assume it's an artefact of their abysmal testing efforts so far, which have been like, barely a thousand people or something. Still, if the hope is that they won't find the virus if they don't go looking for it, I suspect they're in for a rude surprise.

5 hours ago, sne said:

Numbers might not look that extraordinary, or they might I have no idea about these things.

But it is happening despite extraordinary measures being taken do prevent it from happening.

Whole cities isolated, tons of big events cancelled or performed without audiences. Schools, universities and work places closed. Air and train travel restricted and tons of other things.

This does seem to be a tad worse than your average yearly flu all things considered. 

Blown out of proportions if you ask me. People keep saying it's mutated into a more aggressive one and scaring people, yet there's no concrete proof for that either. 

We have a funny one in Norway now where we are advised not to visit northern Italy, yet jet after jet with Italians from northern italy are landing in Norway for the skiing. 

So much derp I struggle. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Hmm, a virus expert fella said on CBS news last night that he expects millions of people to die from this and that up to 70% of human adults will become infected.

Bout time the earth purged itself if you ask me.

My mom n dad are terrified by it, I'm getting daily phone calls  from them saying "don't go the cinema, don't go the gym, be careful on the bus, wash your hands" 

I ain't gunna stop doing what I do, if I'm gunna catch it I'll catch it, I ain't gunna lock myself away for months on end out of fear of catching something which will most likely get me sooner or later anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Blown out of proportions if you ask me. People keep saying it's mutated into a more aggressive one and scaring people, yet there's no concrete proof for that either. 

We have a funny one in Norway now where we are advised not to visit northern Italy, yet jet after jet with Italians from northern italy are landing in Norway for the skiing. 

So much derp I struggle. 

Thought Norwegians would be terrified considering every one of your athletes has asthma and is forced to take medication for it to be able to compete.

Your entire skiing and athletics teams are in the supposed risk groups and could be wiped out. Scary!

Unless they are not really suffering from asthma and are just taking the medication as a performance enhancement, in which case I'm sure they'll be fine. :)

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Thought Norwegians would be terrified considering every one of your athletes has asthma and is forced to take medication for it to be able to compete.

Your entire skiing and athletics teams are in the supposed risk groups and could be wiped out. Scary!

Unless they are not really suffering from asthma and are just taking the medication as a performance enhancement, in which case I'm sure they'll be fine. :)

It's the cyclists I feel for, an entire generation of Olympic cyclists could be wiped out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

So many people calling radio phone ins to say this is "overblown" and that it's no worse than the common flu. It's almost like they've been told not to believe experts......

The same people might yet be calling the same phone ins in a few weeks or months to tearfully decry the government for not protecting them better.

• Like 1

Â