Generic Virus Thread

villakram

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder how many have died from regular flu in the same period

Almost becoming irrelevant now though. Think it’s wiser to treat this as a separate thing. The panic will really kick in once a ‘healthy young person’ loses their life to this ****. 

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Almost becoming irrelevant now though. Think it’s wiser to treat this as a separate thing. The panic will really kick in once a ‘healthy young person’ loses their life to this ****. 

But isn't that near enough an impossibility as it's only really a problem for the old and/or infirm?

Numbers might not look that extraordinary, or they might I have no idea about these things.

But it is happening despite extraordinary measures being taken do prevent it from happening.

Whole cities isolated, tons of big events cancelled or performed without audiences. Schools, universities and work places closed. Air and train travel restricted and tons of other things.

This does seem to be a tad worse than your average yearly flu all things considered. 

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But isn't that near enough an impossibility as it's only really a problem for the old and/or infirm?

I’d say it’s almost impossible to say this is only really an issue for older people or those with underlying health conditions. I don’t know the stats for deaths by age range, but it must be impacting all groups and sure enough healthy people will succumb to it, it’s inevitable. 

Must admit I’m stressing about it, I feel a bit rough as it is and keep trying to self diagnose...I’m a massive hypochondriac anyway so this is hard to deal with! 

Edited by Tayls

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Unless they're planning to repeatedly contract diarrhea to get through it all, they're not creating demand, just bringing it forward in time. 

A run on bog roll so to speak ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Numbers might not look that extraordinary, or they might I have no idea about these things.

But it is happening despite extraordinary measures being taken do prevent it from happening.

Whole cities isolated, tons of big events cancelled or performed without audiences. Schools, universities and work places closed. Air and train travel restricted and tons of other things.

This does seem to be a tad worse than your average yearly flu all things considered. 

It’s way more contagious than the flu. There will be plenty who have caught it and not been tested and hence not in the statistics.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

A run on bog roll so to speak ?

That’s been my week, work for a toilet paper supplier in sales, big customer normally places 26 orders a day everyday without fail, they have experienced panic buying and have placed orders for 103 full trucks on Saturday, madness I tell you madness.  I blame the Daily Heil for showing pictures from Australia and California 

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Anyone panic buying 30 packets of bog roll deserves to be infected with ebola instead

We bought 18 tonight does that count?

But in our defence we normally buy a 16 pack every couple of months and we're down to the last three and the 9 packs we're in offer making them cheaper than the normal 16 pack 

How the f do you carry 30 packets of bog roll?

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

We bought 18 tonight does that count?

But in our defence we normally buy a 16 pack every couple of months and we're down to the last three and the 9 packs we're in offer making them cheaper than the normal 16 pack 

How many individual rolls in total?

*ponders adding Bicks to his list*

Just now, Xela said:

How many individual rolls in total?

*ponders adding Bicks to his list*

No thats 18 individual rolls not packs lol as in 2 packs of nine. 2 rolls more than we normally buy cos we saved a quid

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No thats 18 individual rolls not packs lol as in 2 packs of nine. 2 rolls more than we normally buy cos we saved a quid

Hah, I thought you had purchased 18x packs of 16! I was going to say! 

I purchased a pack of 16 the other day so thats fine. 

I thought this may have been you

Toilet-roll-7-News-Sydney.png

Just now, Xela said:

Hah, I thought you had purchased 18x packs of 16! I was going to say! 

I purchased a pack of 16 the other day so thats fine. 

I thought this may have been you

Toilet-roll-7-News-Sydney.png

HAHA reminds me, I should join Costco again

It will be far, far more widespread than the figures suggest. An awful lot of people will have it and not been severely affected so not have bothered to do anything about it. And they will have infected people, who in turn infected people, who in turn infected people... All of which ultimately leads to people getting it who do get more severely affected.

I've been rough this week with an odd fatigue, slight fever, a cough for a few days and feeling generally shit. For all I know I could have it - but beyond being a standard 'ill' and supremely tired, I've not been worried. If I do have it, I'm oblivious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've been rough this week with an odd fatigue, slight fever, a cough for a few days and feeling generally shit. For all I know I could have it - but beyond being a standard 'ill' and supremely tired, I've not been worried. If I do have it, I'm oblivious.

Exactly the same for me. Woke up Monday morning and was aching across the shoulders and really tired. Decided to work from home and dose up on painkillers. Had a dry tickly cough for ages from a cold I had around Christmas. 

Do feel better today and to be fair my boss is sound and she said just work from home for however long you need. That has definitely helped. The thought of public transport depresses me at the minute. 

According to Trump’s latest tweet the US has had 11 deaths so far but are reporting only 129 people have had the virus. If that were true the death rate on those numbers is almost 1 in 10. Clearly far more people in the US must be infected but are not being tested and captured in the numbers. They are presumably going about their business infecting others.  

Edited by LondonLax

Â