Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe I haven't made my point clear enough. I have no issue with options. Yes we need options, that is a good thing. It's not the point I'm making. 

We didn't have options after the first window, we decided that a striker like Wes was best. Because of his injury we don't have him as an option and now we've decided a striker like Samatta is best. 

Yes when both fit I'm sure they will at times combine and rotate but that wasn't the situation when the season started and neither is it now. 

No, and I don’t think anyone would claim either situation is ideal! Don’t think anyone disagrees on that.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think in fairness we were going for a striker 'like this' in Maupay in the summer but we bulked at the price. 

For me the real failure was not trying hard enough to sign Maupay or have a contingency. To go into the season with Wesley as our only viable option was utterly ridiculous from everyone involved.

Yes, although in fairness I suspect other attacking signings were expected to perform better than they have (Trez, Jota & AEG) so there’s been more pressure on the striker to perform. 

Recruitment in general last summer looks poor in retrospect, but if we’d had Maupay in our locker I doubt we’d be doing so badly now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In the summer we were desperate for a striker. We clearly identified Wes as the type of forward we wanted in order to succeed this season. A record signing and the man to lead the line. 

Now 5 months later, we are again desperate for a striker. I'd say even more desperate than in the summer. The season is on the line. Now 5 months ago the club believed a player like Wes was best for success, whereas now literally the complete opposite of Wes is seen as the way to succeed. 

I get we need options but neither window was about that. We signed one striker in the summer and because of his injury we have no option now. 

The fact we've gone for such a different striker only months after deciding Wes was the way forward, makes me question the signing in the summer.

Given they both look of similar calibre - why was Wes £22m !!!!

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Given they both look of similar calibre - why was Wes £22m !!!!

He shouldn't have been. He had no obvious pedigree and even his highlights reel had no highlights. He looked exactly on promotional videos like he has looked on the pitch. Somebody got seriously mugged off with that deal !!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In the summer we were desperate for a striker. We clearly identified Wes as the type of forward we wanted in order to succeed this season. A record signing and the man to lead the line. 

Now 5 months later, we are again desperate for a striker. I'd say even more desperate than in the summer. The season is on the line. Now 5 months ago the club believed a player like Wes was best for success, whereas now literally the complete opposite of Wes is seen as the way to succeed. 

I get we need options but neither window was about that. We signed one striker in the summer and because of his injury we have no option now. 

The fact we've gone for such a different striker only months after deciding Wes was the way forward, makes me question the signing in the summer.

Thanks.....all makes sense.

58 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

When do we need to have the formalities of this signing done to allow him to play against Watford? 

Not sure, but people were saying that it needed to be done by midday yesterday in order to play today so presumably Monday at some point. That is of course if there isn't any work permit issued as was suggested a few pages back. 

4 hours ago, gaz90 said:

Apparently we paid more than his true value so that he would get a work permit.

I think that's a made up story tbh - the new guy needs a work permit and we aren't paying £22m for him !!!!

Â