Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well yes I get that. 

But since Smith has been here he has played with 1 lone striker. While I'm sure we wanted another striker in the summer, I think the money spent on Wes shows he was going to be our number 1 option. 

So if the club feels long term that a striker like Wes is the way forward, I'm surprised that the opposite of Wes is seen as the way to save our season. 

I get that we need options but the focus put on Wes in the summer and now Samatta now are two completely different styles in leading the line. 

Shaw/Withe

Gray/Little

Yorke/ Milosovic

Carew/Gabby

That's just our club, I can think of loads like  Phillips /Quinn., cascariino/sheringham......you have to have contrasting styles to make the whole.

too many players the same is a problem.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

Shaw/Withe

Gray/Little

Yorke/ Milosovic

Carew/Gabby

That's just our club, I can think of loads like  Phillips /Quinn., cascariino/sheringham......you have to have contrasting styles to make the whole.

too many players the same is a problem.

I think you're missing my point. 

3 hours ago, Regular said:

Yeah well, it's pretty much our business model to buy young(er) talent, filled with our own academy players, mold a team for 3-4 years and compete for a price. With Samatta and probably Berge leaving, it's the end of a cycle (Trossard, Aidoo and Malinovskyi already left this summer). We're sad he's leaving, but everyone is happy for him, he really deserves it. And ofcourse we hope he succceeds. Every transfer is a gamble and I understand there are doubts. But he has certain qualities, it all depends how quickly he picks up the higher level. I'm repeating myself, he won't be the best transfer you ever did, but will be usefull if you use him right. However, he'll undoubtely be by far the nicest person you ever transfer. 

All players who seem to be doing well at their respective clubs? I like Trossard especially.

I don't have much of a musical ear, but that "Samma Goal" chant sounded a lot like Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright (for fighting)" to me.

Edit: No, it's a different song. I'm an idiot

Edited by ozvillafan
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I don't have much of a musical ear, but that "Samma Goal" chant sounded a lot like Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright (for fighting)" to me.

Edit: No, it's a different song. I'm an idiot

Can't you feeeeel the goals tonight

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well yes I get that. 

But since Smith has been here he has played with 1 lone striker. While I'm sure we wanted another striker in the summer, I think the money spent on Wes shows he was going to be our number 1 option. 

So if the club feels long term that a striker like Wes is the way forward, I'm surprised that the opposite of Wes is seen as the way to save our season. 

I get that we need options but the focus put on Wes in the summer and now Samatta now are two completely different styles in leading the line. 

I still think we’ll get a target man too. We needed a different type of striker to Wes even before he got injured Which Samma is. A Benteke or Silmani on loan for 6 months to cover Wes covers all bases. 

Drinkwater to cover McGinn

Reina to cover Heaton 

Benteke to cover Wes? 

Samatta 

Winger/inside forward? (Gaston Peireira maybe) 

I am really excited about this kid. I think he has a lot of the attributes required to become a cult hero at Villa. He is fast, scores goals, works hard, is a leader and also a bit of a character. He will be desperate to do well and drive us forward. Having him in the team will push the opposition defensive line back and create some much needed space for our midfield.

Dean and Suso are also clearly looking for more leadership in the team. Reina and Ally will both provide that which will hopefully help the more inexperienced guys grow in confidence.

He is also a different type of forward to big Wes. I think Wes, Ally and Jack could actually make a nicely balanced and formidable front 3 in the future. I really hope we can stay up because a bit of well thought tinkering in the summer and we could be pretty strong next year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

The floor is yours.....please explain.

I think he is agreeing that the big man little man works.

But stating the club clearly had intentions to play a lone big man in Wesley this year. This transfer moves away from that idea, showing perhaps poor planning or a complete change in direction admitting that the Wesley plan hasn't worked 

If we revert back to the original plan next year Samatta becomes a bit part squad player again.

If we don't then potentially Wesley is the one pushed out.

I think that's his point anyway?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Can't you feeeeel the goals tonight

Samattaday nights alright 

edit, oh balls we did that already

Don’t let mark bunn go down on me?????

Edited by Jareth
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

All players who seem to be doing well at their respective clubs? I like Trossard especially.

Mali needed some time and Trossard is injury prone, but they'll both get there. 

We weren't always consistent in our national league because of our business model. 

But the last 10 years we produced some great academy players (Courtois, De Bruyne, Casteels, Benteke, Origi, Fereira Carrasco, Castagne, Trossard) and bought and sold big talents (Ndidi, Bailey, Kabasele, Milinkovic-Savic, Koulibaly). 

The next one will be Berge probably. So, it's in our best interest Samatta succeeds, so we can keep attracting young talent and selling them. Prefereably after we won the league. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

So many people seem to be getting excited before even seeing him play. Gosh, we’re desperate. 

Yes we are

But it’s also great that we get excited about new signings, it’s the kid within us that we get that feeling that this could be the start of something special, that this person can make a real difference, a future Holte End hero etc etc.  If I didn’t feel this feeling about some signings, I’d lose a bit of love for football.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

So many people seem to be getting excited before even seeing him play. Gosh, we’re desperate. 

What would football be without the excitement of a new signing? It’s all part of the fun. 

Plus, we’ve watched some short YouTube highlights, and yes, we are desperate! 

• Like 2

Â