The Royal Family

Genie

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Not that I care too much about the monarchy, but the Queen seems like a pretty decent person whatever you think of her role, and her going feels like the end of an entire era of world history.

She met pretty much everyone of consequence in the post-war period... every UK PM from Churchill & Attlee onwards, every US President since Truman... Mandela, De Gaulle, Gorbachev, Putin, Xi Jinping. Most of the UK's major sports stars and musicians. She's like the Kevin Bacon of the post-war period.

I agree with the second paragraph. Not so sure I have lovely warm feelings about a nice, decent person who sits on her golden **** throne and exempts herself from equality legislation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Not that I care too much about the monarchy, but the Queen seems like a pretty decent person whatever you think of her role, and her going feels like the end of an entire era of world history.

She met pretty much everyone of consequence in the post-war period... every UK PM from Churchill & Attlee onwards, every US President since Truman... Mandela, De Gaulle, Gorbachev, Putin, Xi Jinping. Most of the UK's major sports stars and musicians. She's like the Kevin Bacon of the post-war period.

Maybe we can get Kevin in?  He would be much more charismatic than Charles. 

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

Whether you like the Queen or not, seeing some of the responses on Twitter are downright disgusting. That whole social network really is s**thole. 

It's taken the Queen getting ill for you to realise this?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

She's a great link in the six degrees game for any of us who have met somebody who's met her. 

On 31/08/2022 at 13:06, sidcow said:

Her first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill, her last possibly Lizz Truss. Talk about a comedown. 

Don’t know about that. From one horrible word removed to another.  

• Like 1

I'm not a hardcore royalist, but the queen does some good work, and has represented the country admirably.

The Royal Family has significant tourism value if nothing else.

I would be very sad to hear her passing, and unfortunately I don't think it will be long, especially if the Family have been summoned.  

Just now, Chindie said:

Spare a thought for the grey engineers that will be working double time to get her ceremonial orbital return vehicle up to snuff for the return to Zeta Reticuli before her skin suit expires.

It's True GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm not a hardcore royalist, but the queen does some good work, and has represented the country admirably.

The Royal Family has significant tourism value if nothing else.

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It will be time to have a grown up conversation about the place of a monarchy and one person being literally above the law in 21st century Britain. It's not happening while "the nation" is in mourning, but the sight of King Charles or whatever he calls himself, taking the crown in full ceremonial garb and queen Camilla sat next to him will be distasteful enough to many to start the conversations, I hope

Referendum time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It will be time to have a grown up conversation about the place of a monarchy and one person being literally above the law in 21st century Britain. It's not happening while "the nation" is in mourning, but the sight of King Charles or whatever he calls himself, taking the crown in full ceremonial garb and queen Camilla sat next to him will be distasteful enough to many to start the conversations, I hope

100%. If Charles was smart he'd hand it to William right now. 

Â