The Royal Family

Genie

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

What does pausing the queue even entail? Does everyone just sit down? Or do they disperse into side streets before springing back to the queue at the restart? 

Do they put them all around Dover like operation stack?

Edited by The Fun Factory

a co-worker has just endured the queue.13 hours. i wanted to ask "why?" but it's each to his/her own

if villa got to a champions league final, and the only way to get a ticket was to queue 13 hours to get it, most of us would

and people would think we were utterly bonkers for doing it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

a co-worker has just endured the queue.13 hours. i wanted to ask "why?" but it's each to his/her own

if villa got to a champions league final, and the only way to get a ticket was to queue 13 hours to get it, most of us would

and people would think we were utterly bonkers for doing it

I onced queued for 12 hours on a Feb night to get tickets for Black Sabbath. It was their first gig back, and the o2 only holds a couple thousand people. It was freezing. I spent an entire day at work before that. 

I was given a priority number as I was one of first 50, and the rest were not guaranteed a ticket as sale was also online. I finally got mine. 

I then queued for another 7/8 hours to be in the front on the day of the concert. I wanted Ozzy to be right in front of me. I was one of the first few. 

I should mention, I was 18. 

When I was getting in, my ticket didn't work. About a 100 people passed by and I was 6/7 rows back. 

I guess Ozzy was also pretty much dead at that point so I can relate to the experience. 

• Like 1

Our grovelling media...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whatever-the-world-thought-of-prince-andrew-his-mother-stood-by-him-wtzjsqj0x

Whatever the world thought of Prince Andrew, his mother stood by him

The Epstein scandal was a huge embarrassment but the relationship survived between the Queen and the Duke of York, who tonight stands vigil over her coffin

Valentine Low, Friday September 16 2022, 12.15pm, The Times

----------------

In the autumn of 2019, the problem of the Duke of York's friendship with Jeffrey Epstein came to a head. Ever since he was photographed with the convicted sex offender in New York in 2010, there had been questions about their relationship. Later came Virginia Roberts's accusations that she had had sex with Prince Andrew when she was a teenager.

Andrew denied it all and the issue died down but never went away. When Epstein was arrested on federal sex-trafficking charges in July 2019 — he was found hanged in his jail cell, aged 66, the next month — Andrew faced the same questions all over again.

The taint of Epstein was becoming a big problem for the duke. Without discussing the wisdom of the move with the Buckingham Palace press office, he tried to clear his name with a BBC Newsnight interview. From Andrew's claim that a medical condition prevented him sweating to his failure to express any sympathy for Epstein's victims, it was a public relations disaster. Within a few days, he was obliged to stand down as a working member of the royal family.

The impetus for his enforced resignation came from the Prince of Wales. But there is no doubt the Queen was prepared to act decisively, revealing a steely side that had not always been obvious in her. Andrew, after all, had always been described as her favourite child.

She was remarkably tolerant of his behaviour, from the unsuitable women he chose to cavort with to the debacle of his marriage to Sarah Ferguson. The Epstein controversy, however, was of a different order: Andrew had become a liability to the royal family.

He was still her son, though. Days after stepping down, Andrew was photographed out riding with the Queen, the two of them appearing deep in thought in the rain at Windsor Castle. On Christmas Day he went out of his way to go to an earlier church service to avoid embarrassing his family. A month later, however, the Queen allowed him to accompany her to church at Hillington, near Sandringham. Whatever the rest of the world thought, his mother stood by him.

In August 2021, Virginia Roberts — now Virginia Giuffre — filed a civil lawsuit against the duke alleging that she had been forced to have sexual encounters with him in the early 2000s after being trafficked by Epstein when she was under 18. In February 2022 the duke settled the case with a multimillion-pound payment to his accuser. He also made a "substantial" donation to Giuffre's charity in support of victims' right.

His disgrace would seem to be final: a month before the settlement, he was stripped of his military affiliations and patronages. His relationship with his mother, however, appeared to have survived intact. That March he was at her side at the memorial service to the Duke of Edinburgh as she took his arm for the walk from the car to her seat in Westminster Abbey.

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 minute ago, mrchnry said:

Beckham is in the queue and has been in it for 12 hours I think he said. Gotta respect that. 

He’s been sponsored to do so by Qatar. He’ll lift his shirt up to reveal an ‘I ❤️Qatar’ T-shirt, as he passes the coffin. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

20220916_140938.jpg

I would love to meet this woman and explain to her that her that every year 98% of your body is replenished by new atoms and only the atoms in the enamel of your teeth survive from childhood until death. 

So what exactly is in the box and tell me the interaction that will have with the bigger box at the end of the 14 hour queue. I'm fascinated

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is the content that I want, this is why I'm still following this farce. Marvelous.

I've managed to avoid watching anymore than a few seconds of this OTT nonsense whilst flicking the TV over (also helped by being out of the country for the first 5 days) but I have been amused when dipping in and out of this thread. Some of this is comedy gold. 

Off to VP tonight where it will be forced into my face but I'll just rock up to my seat a couple of mins late so I don't have to endure GSTK. 

Â