The Royal Family

Genie

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

FFS it is flabbergasting. General consensus seems to be the nonce is more than welcome but the son whose wife has an opinion shouldn't be allowed. 

Lets be honest.... 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

You must to more emotionally attached to the royals than you think chap. They don't bother me and that probably includes at least 50 percent of the population of England.

I'm well aware how much they annoy me! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Probably the biggest difference is that we are not forced to contribute, to the tune of billions collectively, to financially support Sam Smith and give him a lavish lifestyle as we are with the royals. Unless foreveryoung has some kind of financial arrangement with Sam Smith that he hasn't shared with the group.

Yes, this bit! I should have said this but too. It was wrapped up in the billionaire comment.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I'd rather watch Charles and his chubby fingers rather than Sam Smith with his chubby belly sticking out that basque 🤣

Funny how that image was top of your mind, it's almost as if you're curious. 

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

for the anti brigade I'd be interested to know , if you were in another country and had the chance to witness some historic or traditional event .. would you say , **** that bollocks or would you go witness it ?

I mean I think the Hadj is bollocks , but if I could go to Mecca and witness it I'd do it at the drop of the hat   .. I've been to military parades and religious events around the world , not because I believe in them but because they are historical , traditional or even just enjoyable . 

Funnily enough I was having that conversation with my students last night. I've got no interest in the coronation and I'm glad I'm on the other side of the world where it's easily avoidable, but I can easily understand their interest as outsiders. If I had the chance to witness some type of similar ceremony here in China, or another country, I'd want to see it even if I vehemently disagreed with it. But I don't want to be a part of something I disagree with in my own country, even if it's in the smallest way possible of simply watching it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

What's the procedure when Just Stop Oil glue themselves to the golden carriage? Snipers? Wailing and clutching of pearls? Quickly chuck a gibbet up in Trafalgar Square? Disappointed glowering and grumbling?

Make dissent illegal :detect:

The Premier League has requested clubs play the national anthem before tomorrows games to mark the coronation. That is going to go down like a cup of sick at Anfield where they have decided to follow the request.

• Like 1

Completely unscientific and at best an anecdotal indicator…what’s the bunting/flags/pictures of Charles people have put up in their front window situation near where you are?

And I’m only talking about households. Not pubs, shops, village halls, community centres. I think they typically do that sort of thing anyway, they may feel somewhat obliged to do so, dare I say.

My estimate for where I am is about 4-5% of households have put up some sort of decoration to mark the coronation.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Completely unscientific and at best an anecdotal indicator…what’s the bunting/flags/pictures of Charles people have put up in their front window situation near where you are?

And I’m only talking about households. Not pubs, shops, village halls, community centres. I think they typically do that sort of thing anyway, they may feel somewhat obliged to do so, dare I say.

My estimate for where I am is about 4-5% of households have put up some sort of decoration to mark the coronation.

I popped to the shop at lunchtime. I noticed 2 houses in my street (25 houses) have union jacks out. Both are homes of elderly / pensioners.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

2 houses out of about 50 when i popped to the shop at lunch.

Thought it would be more. Oddly satisfying that it wasn't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

0%, zero, sod all.

There are some houses with Union Jacks but they also have the Ukraine flag and the word Eurovison attached to them. And I live in the leafy suburbs

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The Premier League has requested clubs play the national anthem before tomorrows games to mark the coronation. That is going to go down like a cup of sick at Anfield where they have decided to follow the request.

Absolutely going to get hammered by everyone, I doubt you'll be able to hear the anthem itself

• Like 2

My neighbours have had a rather sad bunting display up for a week now. Thankfully that's all I've seen so far. I expect to see more on the day as the area is a bit right on, ingerlund tastic.

Just shy of 200 houses on my road, as of yesterday, zero flags or bunting. As of 7:00 this morning when I drove passed, the spooky house down the end that looks like a Scooby Doo set up has a Union Jack on the balcony.

0.5% take up so far.

However, I will say I was in Swansea a little while ago and they are well up for a union flag.

does it count that I still have my VE day 75th anniversary Union bunting up from 2020 in the  back garden from when we had a neighbours get together  , that I've not yet got around to taking down ? 

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

does it count that I still have my VE day 75th anniversary Union bunting up from 2020 in the  back garden from when we had a neighbours get together  , that I've not yet got around to taking down ? 

I think that gives you the title of Chief Flag Shagger

Â