The Royal Family

Genie

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What? It travels insanely faster, if something major happens now you know about it within minutes where ever you are in the world. 

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep

I didn't find out about 9/11 for hours. Couple of rumours went round school but I was basically unaware of what happened for a few hours until i got home.

If that was today I reckon I'd know within a minute

I guess I explained myself badly. News arriving within a couple of minutes vs a couple of hours really doesn’t make that much difference in a lot of scenarios.

We were talking about watching Jean Paul II’s funeral specifically there - i.e. I can’t imagine anyone missed his funeral because they didn’t know he had died, so I don’t think there’s many people who wanted to watch it who were unable to because they only had “slow” TV rather than internet.

Soooo.... Not actually that big an audience then?

Edit: I'm trying to understand the figures. I can't really believe this wasn't the biggest televised event in this country in our lifetimes. Maybe the impact of streaming and other ways of consuming live events has made the calculations difficult to determine?

Edited by Lichfield Dean
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I guess I explained myself badly. News arriving within a couple of minutes vs a couple of hours really doesn’t make that much difference in a lot of scenarios.

We were talking about watching Jean Paul II’s funeral specifically there - i.e. I can’t imagine anyone missed his funeral because they didn’t know he had died, so I don’t think there’s many people who wanted to watch it who were unable to because they only had “slow” TV rather than internet.

It doesn’t make a difference in any scenario unless it directly impacts you but our access to news is now up to the minute and not by the day or even hour (when compared to pre-smartphone age).

Which is both bad and good, good that we have that kind of information network but bad because I think it’s contributing to an overall raised level of anxiety amongst the population.

41 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Edit: I'm trying to understand the figures. I can't really believe this wasn't the biggest televised event in this country in our lifetimes. Maybe the impact of streaming and other ways of consuming live events has made the calculations difficult to determine?

Same here, I can’t believe it didn’t blow away all the previous records. They put it on every channel and closed everything you might otherwise be doing.

48 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It just wasn’t THAT important to a lot of people in the UK. The media made a substantial fuss which made it seem bigger than the actual interest in it.

Anecdotally, I was driving (in Bham) when the funeral was taking place and the roads were just as busy as normal.  

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Same here, I can’t believe it didn’t blow away all the previous records. They put it on every channel and closed everything you might otherwise be doing.

I'd imagine that force feeding it actually sent a lot of people the other way in not wanting to watch it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

You could watch it on Channel 4, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, pretty much every channel. Twitter, TikTok, Youtube etc. If that's only tracking BBC1/2 and ITV then it certainly beat the Euro 2020 final.

9 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

You could watch it on Channel 4, Sky Sports, Sky Movies, pretty much every channel. Twitter, TikTok, Youtube etc. If that's only tracking BBC1/2 and ITV then it certainly beat the Euro 2020 final.

But don’t forget that 26m was peak viewing.  A lot of people will have switched it on for 5 mins, then got bored and did something else. So 26m is probably around 13m who actually watched most of the funeral. 

Compare that to Euro 2020 or World Cup 1966 final where those people will have watched every minute. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Further breakdown on viewing figures (numbers still being crunched).

The final tweet in the thread is a summary essentially saying it was a huge audience but not the most watched live broadcast ever (in the UK).

And that the suggestion of 4 billion worldwide is somewhat fanciful.

8 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Further breakdown on viewing figures (numbers still being crunched).

The final tweet in the thread is a summary essentially saying it was a huge audience but not the most watched live broadcast ever (in the UK).

And that the suggestion of 4 billion worldwide is somewhat fanciful.

And much less than Eastenders or Coronation Street Xmas specials. 

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Definitely because of the last line. I've had the TV on 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years.

Â