Tom13

Came on at 70 minutes in a 2-1 defeat to Exeter. Swindon were 1-0 up but conceded two late goals. I couldn’t find much regarding his performance but some Swindon fans are giving him pelters.

Cant wait for Barry to prove them wrong! He played just 70 mins so far.
Swindon play some suicidal football, The Goalkeeper needs to stop passing out to his defenders. They're not Man City,
Mckirdy and Barry upfront together clearly doesn't work either 

• Like 1

I think we have to remember with Barry that he's hardly played any football this season, and he's still very new to senior football, so was always likely to be a slow start for him. Also judging by the comments from their fans they've been poor as team for a few games now, the players they lost in Janaury seems to have had detrimental affect on them. For now just glad to see he's getting some game time, hopefully he can improve and start getting a few starts. Just one goal will probably make a massive difference to his confidence, hopefully it isn't long coming.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Got a 5.76 rating on whoscored for the Exeter match. Holy shit, that's pretty bad.

Not really. Players pretty much start on 6 and he made 1 foul and 3 of 10 passes were unsuccessful so just under par 6 for 30 mins

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not really. Players pretty much start on 6 and he made 1 foul and 3 of 10 passes were unsuccessful so just under par 6 for 30 mins

Lots of whoscored ratings stuff below.  Read at your own risk.

Players may start at 6, but having a rating of 6 doesn't indicate a par performance via whoscored's system. Its pretty clear once you look at the ratings players get and compare it to how the fans perceived their performances, that a player who started a game and ended it with a rating of 6 or lower is almost always considered to have had a poor performance during the game. A player with an average rating of close to 6 throught the season is almost universally considered to have been awful during the season.

Its like, a player may start of at 6, but across the length of the game, they're expected to contribute and perform successful actions. That's what constitutes a par performance and its usually at least a rating of 6.5 in my experience. A player who fails and succeeds in equal measure such that his final rating is closer to 6.0, has performed below par and what's expected of them. If you get even lower than that, you've provided a truly awful performance.

Now, there's a huge caveat for players who come on as a sub and why whoscored's system breaks if you don't take into account the difference between sub apperances and full appearances. If you're subbed on and only get a couple of minutes, you're not going to have much opportunity to perform and get your rating up. Furthermore, if you fail a couple of early actions, then you can end the game with a rating lower than 6.0 which is unfair as it is likely had the player had more time and opportunity, they would've been able to get their rating up. To put it simply, there's a massive difference between a player who scored below 6.0 and played the full 90 and a player who scored below 6.0 and played only a couple of minutes.

Barry is somewhere in between. He obviously didn't play the full 90 but he also played enough minutes imo to be expected to score more than a 6.0. But he not only failed to score a 6.0, he went quite a bit lower than that at 5.76. Maybe had he been given the entire 90 minutes, he would've been able to get his rating up enough to counteract this but I highly doubt it. Probably not to the point where he gets a 6.5.

Finally, I should be clear that we shouldn't be take whoscored ratings of players during a single match too seriously anyway even though I know I was the one who first brought it up. The rating is likely to be very imprecise if we're only looking at a single match.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve never thought he is. He won’t be a PL footballer. 

Got to give him more time. At least another 18 months .Look at how Archer has grown in that time . He has real talent but now everyone is far bigger and stronger in League 2 . His physical attributes need to catch up with his undoubted ability. 

For all the young players regardless of how highly rated they are the odds of them becoming premier league footballers is awfully low. Delphinho is probably right simply based on odds.

As a player he needs to play one position regularly now. For our u23's and his loans he's been played all over the front line. This is fine if a player plays in a similar style in those positions, but Barry plays wide forward very differently to centre forward, so I'm not sure it's really benefiting him. The physical aspect is also true, he is very lightwieght, is he the type that either needs to finish growing, or is just built like that.

Needs to deveolop man strength regardless. I think this is a big part of it. Needs to learn how to mix it or be smart enough to buy fouls.

Has more weight of expectation on him than any other player because of the club we bought him from and that he scored Vs Liverpool.

Whilst we now have other candidates, we were all desperate for the new Jack Grealish when Barry started coming through, local lad, Villa fan,came from Barca and a great debut means the expectation around him is so high.

I just hope he gets the time and doesn't crumble under the pressure.

Most of us hadn't heard of archer a year ago or atleast never discussed him if we had. Barry deserves the time and space to find his feet too

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m starting to think he really isn’t the real deal…

Don't say it out loud... you'll get slated.

You know he's a wonderkid who played for Barcelona right?

On a serious note though, he could also possibly a late bloomer, I've never thought he's had the build to be a CF, a wide forward/winger etc yes.

Bare in mind, his confidence might be shot as well, from the previous loan experience.

It's really hard to judge youth.

I knew nothing about Archer aside from seeing his name on youth team lineups a couple of seasons ago.

This season he's only played 196 minutes of senior football, that's barely two games worth, and bearing in mind previous to this season his only experience of playing first team football was against Liverpool.

It's hard to say what he does and doesn't need to do based on his game time at senior level so far as he's barely played, before he can be judged more fairly he needs a run of games.

As it stands we've only really got U23 football to go by, where he's been excellent, and worth remembering that apart from the two games last month, he's played all his football at that level as a sixteen and seventeen year old, most players around his age will only now be beginning to play for the U23s, whether he can translate it to first team football is another matter, but it's way too early to say that he can't.

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Many young players have poor loans and go onto to have good careers (look at Harry Kane). It helps them grow as a player though. As long as Barry keeps getting minutes we’ll see a development that’s all that matters. 

But many more young players have poor loans and then go onto have relatively poor careers. Harry Kane isn't the rule, he is by far the exception.

Look, I'm not gonna say that Barry won't make it. Never say never in football, especially at youth level. But if he ends up failing at Swindon too, that's 2 loans he's failed at back to back at relatively low level of football. That shouldn't just be ignored and people are justified in reigning their expectations for him. 

I like him playing wide for the  U 23,  the problem for him is the transition from U23 football to first team football, add the fact that he played at Barca youth level which probably means football is played the right and the scenario’s are always the ideal ones, it was always going to be challenging for him, we’ll just have to wait and see , the talent and potential is clearly there but as we all know things don’t always work out , time will tell he’s young enough, slightly different but most on here couldn’t see the potential in JJ Ramsey last season and laughed at us for suggesting he would be a regular ahead of Chuckwemeka. Pointless writing Barry off atm.

Â