Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

He could not have done worse than drinkwater tbh

They are different types of players I think, Ramsey is an attacking and goalscoring midfielder. Drinkwater dictates play from deep, almost like a quarterback in NFL

• Haha 1

@flashingqwerty looking at the first 5 there is Fernandes, then 4 that the ‘signing’ was returning from loan.

There are a couple more than I initially thought, but once you strip out those returning from loan, ones that aren’t going to be near first teams for a few years and existing line made permanent there are far fewer.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

They are different types of players I think, Ramsey is an attacking and goalscoring midfielder. Drinkwater dictates play from deep, almost like a quarterback in NFL

He also creates loads of chances for opponents to score and headbutts his teammates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

@flashingqwerty looking at the first 5 there is Fernandes, then 4 that the ‘signing’ was returning from loan.

There are a couple more than I initially thought, but once you strip out those returning from loan, ones that aren’t going to be near first teams for a few years and existing line made permanent there are far fewer.

My point though, which you conveniently ignore, is that any and all of them would have had less of a negative impact on the team in general.

You also completely ignore the, literally thousands of, midfield players across europe, who could potentially have signed and perhaps could have made a positive contribution.

To suggest there 'were no other options' than drinkwater is at best naive and at worst ignorance in the extreme.

For whatever reason, the transfer team picked a player who had played about 20 games in 5 years, and couldn't get a game at Burnley as someone to come in and transform the team.  

I thought so when it was announced, and his performances and behaviour since confirms, this was a terrible decision, and we'd have been far better off with noone or a youth player in his place, rather than bringing in someone who clearly is neither physically fit enough, nor mentally stable enough, to compete at this level anymore.

As i have also previously said, this type of signing wreaks of desperation, and shows why DS and his team will never be capable of putting together a team that is capable of competing at this level.  They, themselves, are too limited and short sighted.

@flashingqwerty my point, which you conveniently ignore, was simply querying that an abundance of CMs were signed by PL clubs in January as it didn’t sound right to me.

But yeah, I don’t actually disagree with the substance of anything you said.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

25 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

My point though, which you conveniently ignore, is that any and all of them would have had less of a negative impact on the team in general.

You also completely ignore the, literally thousands of, midfield players across europe, who could potentially have signed and perhaps could have made a positive contribution.

To suggest there 'were no other options' than drinkwater is at best naive and at worst ignorance in the extreme.

For whatever reason, the transfer team picked a player who had played about 20 games in 5 years, and couldn't get a game at Burnley as someone to come in and transform the team.  

I thought so when it was announced, and his performances and behaviour since confirms, this was a terrible decision, and we'd have been far better off with noone or a youth player in his place, rather than bringing in someone who clearly is neither physically fit enough, nor mentally stable enough, to compete at this level anymore.

As i have also previously said, this type of signing wreaks of desperation, and shows why DS and his team will never be capable of putting together a team that is capable of competing at this level.  They, themselves, are too limited and short sighted.

I assume that you’re in possession of all the detail on our FFP situation, of player talks we may have had in January (or before), agents demands, etc etc? Because I’m pretty sure that Villa didn’t set out in January to derail their own Premier League chances. I’d imagine there were some firm plans in place in December, ready for January. And then in the space of 2-3wks we lost our 1st choice GK, CF, and CM to season ending injuries, or near season ending in McGinns case. That’s 3 Premier League 1st teamers to replace in January, over and above what you thought you needed already. And FFP has to be adhered to. And not many decent players want to go to clubs at the wrong end of the table. And neither you nor I have any idea of the players available, whether they’d have come, or the FFP implications. What I do feel more certain about is that those in charge of these things didn’t set out to do anything other than the best they could under the circumstances that we don’t know about. 

I think it's too soft from Smith if he stays. I admire his approach, and it would be many would want to be managed.

It would work incredibly if all players were as self-motivating as someone like Grealish. Not fit enough? Come in on your day off. Not strong enough? Gym work every day.

Not all players are that motivated and need steering, pushing in whatever direction suits. They need managing.

At times this year we've looked a total shambles because I don't think there's enough managing of the players that are not good/committed enough to make us an established PL side.

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think it's too soft from Smith if he stays. I admire his approach, and it would be many would want to be managed.

It would work incredibly if all players were as self-motivating as someone like Grealish. Not fit enough? Come in on your day off. Not strong enough? Gym work every day.

Not all players are that motivated and need steering, pushing in whatever direction suits. They need managing.

At times this year we've looked a total shambles because I don't think there's enough managing of the players that are not good/committed enough to make us an established PL side.

How do you think we change this?

On 17/03/2020 at 11:20, OxfordVillan said:

I assume that you’re in possession of all the detail on our FFP situation, of player talks we may have had in January (or before), agents demands, etc etc? Because I’m pretty sure that Villa didn’t set out in January to derail their own Premier League chances. I’d imagine there were some firm plans in place in December, ready for January. And then in the space of 2-3wks we lost our 1st choice GK, CF, and CM to season ending injuries, or near season ending in McGinns case. That’s 3 Premier League 1st teamers to replace in January, over and above what you thought you needed already. And FFP has to be adhered to. And not many decent players want to go to clubs at the wrong end of the table. And neither you nor I have any idea of the players available, whether they’d have come, or the FFP implications. What I do feel more certain about is that those in charge of these things didn’t set out to do anything other than the best they could under the circumstances that we don’t know about. 

You make some good points, but what has any of that got to do with signing Drinkwater?

Look at his stats over the last 4 or 5 years, played 20 odd games, been arrested, caused squad issues, not gotten game time at a team above us in the league.

Someone who knows how to succeed at this level, does not bring a person like Drinkwater into a relegation threatened squad unless they are so desperate that they should no longer be in their job, or so clueless, they should never have been in it.

The Drinkwater signing had 'car crash' written all over it from the start, and so it has proven to be.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 19:19, Tomaszk said:

I really like this distinction.

Yes, DS is a good coach.  I truly believe he can improve players - when the player wants to learn what he is teaching.

I do not think DS has the tools/skill/whatever to take a player who wants to coast and turn them into something more.  I'd call this management to a degree.

I also think he has too much pride to recognise that his philosophy isn't working with these players and wont change despite the overwhelming evidence that we need to play less open football.

23 hours ago, Hornso said:

I thought this was a low risk move and if he replaced Lansbury as an option off the bench it was an upgrade. I was undoubtedly wrong. 

I actually thought that the move had a real chance of being good for both club & player but that may be  the reason I'm not the head of scouting.

On 26/03/2020 at 11:44, Zatman said:

Football 365 have ranked all 184 Premier League signing this season. Drinkwater has finished 184th and 180th

Impressive stuff 😂

He's ranked 489th out of 492 players on Whoscored with and average rating of 5.74.

He is rankled last among players who have played more than 1 game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

A truly appalling footballer

Why do you think this? For me, he even showed in his short time on the pitch in a Villa shirt that he could get on the ball and dictate play. Although, it seems that he already become a hate figure on here for some :(

Â