Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

To end this Drinkwater discussion because im sick of talking about the rocket polisher. 

If you spend all season criticising Grealish but insist this idiot is a good player then I would question your player judgement 😉

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

To end this Drinkwater discussion because im sick of talking about the rocket polisher. 

If you spend all season criticising Grealish but insist this idiot is a good player then I would question your player judgement 😉

Have you seen my most recent posts in the Grealish thread? 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan won the Champions League, Danny Simpson, Tom Cleverley and Darron Gibson won the Premier League, Dejan Lovren is about to do so as well. 

Shit players can be lucky enough to win trophies. A one off season carried by Kante wont impress me

Every squad has fillers, squads are very rarely full of world class stars these days, it’s a team game after all. He won the league, the best league in the world and that won’t impress you, you’re hard to please 

Drinkwater did well for Leicester the season they won, he was carried by Kanté but still.

But it seem like after he got his big money move and got to a team i Chelsea who had competition for places he he decided to down tools rather than fight for his place.

U can't just not try for 3 seasons and then expect to be able o perform again. Especially if you are pushing 30 and have been drinking during season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Drinkwater did well for Leicester the season they won, he was carried by Kanté but still.

But it seem like after he got his big money move and got to a team i Chelsea who had competition for places he he decided to down tools rather than fight for his place.

U can't just not try for 3 seasons and then expect to be able o perform again. Especially if you are pushing 30 and have been drinking during season.

Do you think his Villa career is over?

Had a look on a Leicester forum around the time we signed him and found a thread where they were talking about their favourite player from season when they won the league, the three players getting the most mentions were Vardy, Kanté and Drinkwater, he was one of their best players that season, and wasn't carried by Kanté  anymore than any other player that plays alongside Kanté are carried by him, they have different skillsets anyway, saying that Kanté carries Drinkwater, would be like someone trying to claim that Grealish carries McGinn. Drinkwater had also been one of their best players when they were promoted and during their survival season, he might not be very good now but at his best he was on a completely different level to the  likes of Cattermole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

100% agree. This is a trap we seem to have continually fallen into over the last ten years, and was one I hoped we would stop falling into. Players like Richards, Lescott, Drinkwater etc who are living on past glories of 2-3+ years previous, rarely manage to pick those former glories back up. There is usually a reason said players have not reached previous highs for a number of seasons. One being injury, one being hunger and another being it was their peak and they’re now on the slide. We need to pick up more players on the rise, not the fall!

I think/hope Drinkwater was a desperate move, and we won’t see many more moves like this from now on.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Had a look on a Leicester forum around the time we signed him and found a thread where they were talking about their favourite player from season when they won the league, the three players getting the most mentions were Vardy, Kanté and Drinkwater, he was one of their best players that season, and wasn't carried by Kanté  anymore than any other player that plays alongside Kanté are carried by him, they have different skillsets anyway, saying that Kanté carries Drinkwater, would be like someone trying to claim that Grealish carries McGinn. Drinkwater had also been one of their best players when they were promoted and during their survival season, he might not be very good now but at his best he was on a completely different level to the  likes of Cattermole.

Kanté carried their whole team. He was the best player in the world that season. CR7 and Messi possibly excluded. 

Had Drinkwater played alongside anyone else it would not have worked. Kanté did 2 players work. This doesn't mean Drinkwater wasn't good that season but Kanté was immense.

23 minutes ago, sne said:

Which begs the question why did we sign him in the first place?

Just now, dubbs said:

Which begs the question why did we sign him in the first place?

Honestly no idea. Desperation, Terry, misguided faith, poor judgement, aliens.

Kanté carrying the Leicester team is different from him carrying Drinkwater, you could have put Kanté in any team during that period and he would have improved them, doesn't take away from what a good player Drinkwater was back then though, in the same way that you could say that Grealish carries our team, but doesn't take away from other good individual performers like McGinn.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

Kanté carrying the Leicester team is different from him carrying Drinkwater, you could have put Kanté in any team during that period and he would have improved them, doesn't take away from what a good player Drinkwater was back then though, in the same way that you could say that Grealish carries our team, but doesn't take away from other good individual performers like McGinn.

So pretty much what I said.

I said it first. You said Drinkwater was carried by Kanté, which isn't what I'm saying at all. Leicester were an improved team with Kanté playing, but that's not the same as him carrying Drinkwater or any of their other players.

Would be interested to see a list of all players from top 4-5 clubs who leave them at 28 and become key players at other clubs.

For every Phil Neville who did well at Everton after leaving Man. United you also have a Nicky Butt who got relegated at Newcastle and SHA after leaving.

Drinkwater just had Sidwell vibes. Players who simply don't play for a long time just lose that intensity and edge (add in desire if they're getting ridiculous wages while being benched). Drinkwater last played regularly in 16-17 season so hell of a long time ago and bit naive to think he'd get up to speed after 2-3 games if that really was our thinking. He's one of those that needs a six week boot camp pre season.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I said it first. You said Drinkwater was carried by Kanté, which isn't what I'm saying at all. Leicester were an improved team with Kanté playing, but that's not the same as him carrying Drinkwater or any of their other players.

I maintain he was carrying their whole team. Without him they would never been able to play that 4-4-2 like they did. He did 2 players job in CM. And as Drinkwater was playing directly next to him he was helped more than anyone else in their team by Kanté. 

But once again Drinkwater did a good job. Ranieri did a fantastic job with the limited squad and used their main players extremely intelligently.

Footie ace Danny Drinkwater’s trendy restaurant racks up debts of nearly £2million in just one year
FoodWell aims to combine wholesome food with fitness classes.
But the ex-Leicester and Chelsea star’s brainchild has had a troubled start, according to his accounts.

Books lodged with government department Companies House show it has liabilities of £1.7 million and cash reserves of just £8,435.

The restaurant in ­Manchester’s city centre, which employs 45 people, had been proving a hit with diners and got good reviews online.

It has assets in the shape of equipment and stock of £725,962.

Last month the dad-of-one was sent home from training at Premier League strugglers Aston Villa after a bust-up with a team-mate.

Link

• 1 month later...

His deal should be up June 1 st , wonder if we will keep him on.

With everyone having to get back to fitness he will be on level playing field , he wasn't great but a better option than Lansbury on the bench 

Â