Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

On 03/04/2020 at 04:58, Villan4Life said:

This isn’t that big a deal really is it? Basically it’s a £1m investment (£1.7m liabilities but £700k in assets) to start a restaurant employing 45 people - those numbers are not too different to many other restaurants I would guess. It is going to collapse because of coronavirus I imagine, but so will most other restaurants out there. I would guess all our players have investments of some kind, some doing well some not so well.

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

How did we ever think taking him on loan was a good idea?

Because he can get on the ball and dictate play from deep. He can also compliment the other midfield players we have. I admit his first few games weren’t good but he hasn’t played regular first team football in the Premier League since 2016/17 for Leicester City. That’s not making excuses for him, I think he can come in and keep us up, others on here will laugh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Because he can get on the ball and dictate play from deep. He can also compliment the other midfield players we have. I admit his first few games weren’t good but he hasn’t played regular first team football in the Premier League since 2016/17 for Leicester City. That’s not making excuses for him, I think he can come in and keep us up, others on here will laugh

I think there were few midfield options in Jan in terms of 'with premiership experience' which was clearly what Dean wanted, no one wants to do us any favours. On paper it seemed a worthwhile gamble, the only thing I find hard to forgive is Drinkwater had already bombed on loan to Burnley, it smacked of desperation or arrogance that Dean though he could get more out of him. Still up until the training ground head butt I thought there was a chance he could still offer something.

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I think there were few midfield options in Jan in terms of 'with premiership experience' which was clearly what Dean wanted, no one wants to do us any favours. On paper it seemed a worthwhile gamble, the only thing I find hard to forgive is Drinkwater had already bombed on loan to Burnley, it smacked of desperation or arrogance that Dean though he could get more out of him. Still up until the training ground head butt I thought there was a chance he could still offer something.

I think you are correct, does this mean that you don’t think he has anything to offer now?

16 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He undoubtedly has that ability, or at least did when he was at Leicester. The big questions are, can he reproduce that and is his character what we are looking for in the changing room. Evidence from his time at Burnley would suggest not. We’re not a rehab centre. Loans are in general for fixing short term problems, which he hasn’t or really looked like he will. 

19 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think the club can be excused for taking a punt on him in January. I thought at the time it was a bad signing but I am open minded enough to see why people thought it may have worked out and can understand their thought processes (eg; ex-PL league, good pedigree, get some match fitness and he'll be back to 2005 version)

Saying that ... if anyone STILL thinks it could work out as a good signing after what he has shown in the games so far then they are deluded I'm afraid. He is washed up and his confidence is shot to bits. Crowd is on his back. It would be one of the biggest turnarounds I've seen if he were to suddenly start putting in 8/10 performances. How on earth someone demonstrating that type of form could be the key to keeping us up is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

I think the club can be excused for taking a punt on him in January. I thought at the time it was a bad signing but I am open minded enough to see why people thought it may have worked out and can understand their thought processes (eg; ex-PL league, good pedigree, get some match fitness and he'll be back to 2005 version)

Saying that ... if anyone STILL thinks it could work out as a good signing after what he has shown in the games so far then they are deluded I'm afraid. He is washed up and his confidence is shot to bits. Crowd is on his back. It would be one of the biggest turnarounds I've seen if he were to suddenly start putting in 8/10 performances. How on earth someone demonstrating that type of form could be the key to keeping us up is beyond me. 

I can see what you’re saying and understand where you’re coming from but Drinkwater is proven Premier League quality, we don’t have much of it in our squad. He’s won the Premier League, he’s been there and done it. Even in his brief appearances for Villa, he has shown that he can actually get on the ball and ping it about

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Drinkwater is about as proven Premier League quality as Lee Cattermole or Jonathan Hogg

Drinkwater has won the league and was a key player that year which then earnt a big money move. Neither of the players that you mentioned have achieved anything close to that, although I think they are/ were solid Premier League midfielders

51 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Drinkwater has won the league and was a key player that year which then earnt a big money move. Neither of the players that you mentioned have achieved anything close to that, although I think they are/ were solid Premier League midfielders

Have to agree here.  He's no where near that level anymore but that doesn't change the fact that he was, at one time, a very good player. 

22 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Have to agree here.  He's no where near that level anymore but that doesn't change the fact that he was, at one time, a very good player. 

It’s nice to know that my opinion is valued to some degree, thanks

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Drinkwater is about as proven Premier League quality as Lee Cattermole or Jonathan Hogg

Haha let’s not go crazy. He was a standout player in a title-winning team... he might be rubbish now but he was getting £30m moves to Chelsea when Lee Cattermole was playing in League One :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Haha let’s not go crazy. He was a standout player in a title-winning team... he might be rubbish now but he was getting £30m moves to Chelsea when Lee Cattermole was playing in League One :)

He played every week but he isnt a stand out. His only good Premier League season was because he played next to Kante.

Of the regular starting 11 he along with Danny Simpson were the weakest players

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He played every week but he isnt a stand out. His only good Premier League season was because he played next to Kante.

Of the regular starting 11 he along with Danny Simpson were the weakest players

What about Marc Albrighton and Christian Fuchs?

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you say that?

Kante carried Drinkwater, he has got nowhere the level since or even before that. Shit player and will probably never play Premier League again. 

He is 30 years old and played less than 100 Premier League games for a reason. Even crap players like Cattermole have played a lot more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Kante carried Drinkwater, he has got nowhere the level since or even before that. Shit player and will probably never play Premier League again. 

He is 30 years old and played less than 100 Premier League games for a reason. Even crap players like Cattermole have played a lot more. 

I know it was 4 years ago now but he has won the Premier League, a great achievement and he was a key player that season. He played 35 times in the league that season, you refer to Cattermole but he was just a hacker, a dirty player, it’s about quality not quantity at this level I think

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I know it was 4 years ago now but he has won the Premier League, a great achievement and he was a key player that season. He played 35 times in the league that season, you refer to Cattermole but he was just a hacker, a dirty player, it’s about quality not quantity at this level I think

Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan won the Champions League, Danny Simpson, Tom Cleverley and Darron Gibson won the Premier League, Dejan Lovren is about to do so as well. 

Shit players can be lucky enough to win trophies. A one off season carried by Kante wont impress me

Â