Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d be very interested in M&S’s attitude to another seller being able to say this is literally exactly the same product, but we’re selling it cheaper. I think that contract with that supplier would get terminated.

The manufacturer would probably have clauses in their contract with their customers preventing them from doing this.

On 13/02/2024 at 11:23, Anthony said:

If you take it in the right spirit, I think REM's Shiny Happy People is OK.

The song was originally going to be the theme for Friends (it was used in the pilot) but R.E.M. rejected Warner Brothers’ request to use it 

I guess I’ve never been able to conjure up the right spirit 🤣 big R.E.M. fan, for the record

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

But I’ve said it before, grass fed steaks in Lidl are superb but most of their meat and fish is inferior in quality to the high end, not sure about the likes of Tesco as I stopped buying meat from there decades ago after the maggot incident

sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes cheapest is best

Chocolate bars, Aldi beats Lidl, they both beat the rest

Aldi fillet steaks (two for a tenner) are absolutely tremendous. Agreed on chocolate. 

17 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The manufacturer would probably have clauses in their contract with their customers preventing them from doing this.

We have a contract with a major supermarket.

The terms are water tight in their favour, we wouldn’t just lose the contract, there are penalty clauses. That’s for supplying some service items, not product they are then selling. I can’t imagine the contracts for actual produce are less stringent.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Sultana cookies, not a chance in hell the Lidl ones are the same as M&S

I've made cookies for different supermarkets / shops and tried to sell cookies to several more - my old place had the Tesco contract 

I can tell it's hard enough to keep the same recipe when Tesco rotate their buyers let alone find 2 buyers from different supermarkets who want the same thing, they all have complete different mind sets as to what that cookie should be 

This is 20 years ago, we were making normal Tesco cookies for I think 7p a cookie and finest for 11p a cookie, the base ingredients will be the same, it's the same flour it's the same sugar same fat but the finest will have a more expensive chocolate and I'm sure an increase in the liquid sugar (which is the key to these American style cookies) for a Sultana cookie you'd actually source the sultanas from the same company (almost definitley Whitworth) but I'd expect the M&S one to use a bigger one and then to go with isoglucose if not golden syrup or molasses 

But they can come from the same factory, I'd say from experience it's rare, buyers from morrisons and asda didn't like us cos we had Tesco and I seem to remember Costco, did spend a year trying to win the subway contract too which was a lot of fun 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d be very interested in M&S’s attitude to another seller being able to say this is literally exactly the same product, but we’re selling it cheaper. I think that contract with that supplier would get terminated.

They try that a lot. Sometimes they can do it sometimes they can't. Also Aldi can't market it as exactly the same product, but the supplier can disclose to Aldi that it is.

Some suppliers will tell Aldi "We can't do that because M&S have it in our contract that we can't".
Some suppliers don't have it in their contract and can get away with it.

Sometimes there's loopholes, like Aldi sold chocolate truffles that you could get at Fortnum and Mason. The only difference was the truffles at Aldi were very slightly smaller because that made them different enough that they weren't the same product. F&M sold them at £15. Aldi at something like £3.99

Aldi are sued constantly for this sort of thing. It's basically their entire business model

Edited by Stevo985

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh Aldi's cheapo version of Tunnocks wafers are pretty much on the nose if they are a copy

I literally just ate one 10 seconds ago as I read this comment (and completely agree).

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Aldi kit kats absolutely are not kit kats. Its shit masquerading as the ginger relative of a kit kat. 

So they’re an improvement on the original. Ginger is the king of biscuit spices :D 

• Like 3

Well there's one extremely important thing the Aldi KitKat has over the original. It's not Nestlé.

• Like 3

On 06/05/2024 at 19:04, bickster said:

Chorizo ring, the cheaper you get them, the saltier they are

bleach, yep I'll buy that, bleach is bleach

I find the cheap bleach too salty

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well there's one extremely important thing the Aldi KitKat has over the original. It's not Nestlé.

This should be a popular opinion 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BOF said:

that's a recent discovery for me, whilst eating the kids easter eggs i realised just how bad nestle chocolate is, probably the reason why they don't just do a simple bar of plain chocolate (?? yorkie i suppose?) im guessing the bars hide it with everything else going on but compared to say lindt, cadburys, milka, mars it was really poor

its also apparent that my theory of keeping chocolate away from my kids by eating it all myself was not a good thing...

• Haha 1

Even if the chocolate was any good, and I agree it's not, nestle are evil scum, the world would be a better place if they went bankrupt.

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

This should be a popular opinion 

True fact.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

that's a recent discovery for me, whilst eating the kids easter eggs i realised just how bad nestle chocolate is, probably the reason why they don't just do a simple bar of plain chocolate (?? yorkie i suppose?) im guessing the bars hide it with everything else going on but compared to say lindt, cadburys, milka, mars it was really poor

its also apparent that my theory of keeping chocolate away from my kids by eating it all myself was not a good thing...

The quality of their chocolate isn't what I was on about :)  They are one of the worst companies on the planet. There isn't much I boycott, but they sure are one.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BOF said:

The quality of their chocolate isn't what I was on about :)  They are one of the worst companies on the planet. There isn't much I boycott, but they sure are one.

I’ve often wondered this Brian, probably not suited to this thread but what can I do…

If you could “save” one of nestle’s chocolate bars and have them be produced by a more socially conscious company so you could then eat it…which bar would you pick? 

And I’m not exaggerating, if I’m in the co op and I’m looking at chocolate bars, I find myself thinking “Hmmm, BOF wouldn’t approve of that choice…but does he himself ever pine for a Yorkie bar?”

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If you could “save” one of nestle’s chocolate bars and have them be produced by a more socially conscious company so you could then eat it…which bar would you pick? 

Well if we can extend Nestle to include the Rowntree's portfolio they presumably still hold the licenses from, then this one's easy; the Secret bar. The greatest confection ever made. Although as it's not been in production for decades, this answer is a bit of a cheat.

4 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Well if we can extend Nestle to include the Rowntree's portfolio they presumably still hold the licenses from, then this one's easy; the Secret bar. The greatest confection ever made. Although as it's not been in production for decades, this answer is a bit of a cheat.

Very appropriate product name because I have never heard of it!

Â