Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

On 08/07/2023 at 19:50, Captain_Townsend said:

I despise onions. The taste, the smell, the look. Yuck!

I instantly feel sick if I smell an onion. Not sure if this is an actual intolerance but I seem to be the only person I know who reacts this badly to them. Everybody else seems to love the dammed things. 

Sorry to make your spectacularly unpopular opinion a little bit more popular, but I'm in full agreement with you. I have a sixth sense for them in food, I'll know they're there and then the food goes straight in the bin. Absolute worst of the worst.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Speaking as someone who has spent time doing the FODMAP diet, which is pointedly designed to remove foods with various trigger elements in them which includes onions, I can tell you that not eating anything with onion in it at all is nightmarish.

My missus doesn't eat them, her main problem is in restaurants she tries to skirt round the menu rather than just ask for no onions (assuming it's a half decent place than can actually do that)

Our problem is vegetables here are expensive and seasonal and usually not readily available and onions as much as anything are perfect for packing meals out

But I've more or less come to not use them anymore

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I wouldn't let my wife buy my socks let's alone the rest of my stuff

Love clothes shopping, maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread instead, can't beat a big clothes buying session, I actually find it relieves more stress and makes me happier than a saturday afternoon drinking session, like spending some money in clobber makes working worthwhile

I'm getting old... As a side I'm getting closer to knocking drinking on the head, last 2 or 3 times I've done a proper job I've woke up feeling like I've poisoned myself and struggling to understand why I did it

As I suspect you are correct in that this may be an unpopular opinion, I’ll quote you here.

I enjoy clothes shopping - provided I am successful in buying something I’m happy with. It feels like an accomplishment and having done it, it’s something I don’t have to think about for a while.

Equally I become annoyed with clothes shopping when I ultimately don’t find anything I like or I see something that I very nearly like but there’s a stupid detail on a shirt or whatever that prevents me from buying it.

Same as you on the drinking, a Saturday afternoons drinking session is now a once a month thing at most, more likely every couple of months and typically the heavy drinking is finished way before the early hours. And any session is pretty much based around a meal. 

That paragraph is probably better suited in the getting older thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Sorry to make your spectacularly unpopular opinion a little bit more popular, but I'm in full agreement with you. I have a sixth sense for them in food, I'll know they're there and then the food goes straight in the bin. Absolute worst of the worst.

This. They're horrible.

Over the course of my 37 years I've managed to teach myself to like them cooked. They're in too many things to not eat them completely. So cooked onions in a sauce or pasta or bolognaise etc I'm fine with now.

But raw onions can still get in the sea. They're disgusting

• Like 2

On 07/07/2023 at 21:04, Rich192 said:

Beaches are rubbish.

Sand is the most irritating substance known to man. It’s boring. You can’t eat anything due to the sand issue. Get in the bin. 

Yeah I'm on board with this. I don't mind going for a walk on the beach but I don't enjoy spending the day on one. Give me a day by the pool instead anytime.

I took my then 6 month old to the beach in Ireland last year and it was one of the most stressful days of my life. Got some nice pictures that beautifully mask what a **** nightmare it was

• Haha 1

Blimey, the onion haters are all coming out of the woodwork. 

And now people are claiming they enjoy clothes shopping. Frankly, I prefer a dentist appointment. Maybe once every two years I steel myself to do the clothes shopping ordeal, and I try and get it over with as quickly as possible (KW). It's hell. 

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

in fairness to the OP, he appears to have found himself quite an unpopular opinion

If you look a little more closely, you’ll see he loves onions really. I mean he even included one in his opinion.

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Strawberries too. Flavouring? Lovely.  Actually strawberries. Offensive

Yes! The looks of disdain I get when I tell people I think strawberries are rank... 

17 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i don't hate it, but i definitely dont enjoy it...i only drink it to get drunk. i never sit at home with a can just cause i enjoy it. i could reel off 10 alcoholic drinks i'd choose over beer. but beer is more sociable...i'm not sitting there with a rum and coke that's gone in 5 mins whilst the others drink their pints. but there's definitely a limit to how many i can drink before i have to get a short or some wine

I'm kinda the same 

I've been drunk ( and some) on beer the past 2 weeks at gigs , but I'm drinking it for the sake of getting drunk and knowing that an all day session on rum wouldn't end well as I'd drink a double rum and coke in about 15 seconds 

I move onto rum and coke around midnight  when I'm bored of having to walk 1/2 mile to the toilets in the pub  after every 10 mouthfuls  of beer 

Beer at home in the fridge (in the event of emergency beer requirements) every now and then I'll flip the cans over and see they expiry date was about 18 months ago and have to  pour it away , rarely if ever sit there at home and think  " I really fancy a beer about now" 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

This conversation crops up on VT every couple of years. 

I'm firmly on the side of drinking because I really love the taste of beer (especially draught ale), good wine and some spirits, plus a mild buzz from the alcohol by keeping the quantities moderate. Usually with food. Always in company, never alone. I never drink just to get drunk. And if I inadvertently overdo it, the hangovers are a living hell - it's just not worth it. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This conversation crops up on VT every couple of years. 

I'm firmly on the side of drinking because I really love the taste of beer (especially draught ale), good wine and some spirits, plus a mild buzz from the alcohol by keeping the quantities moderate. Usually with food. Always in company, never alone. I never drink just to get drunk. And if I inadvertently overdo it, the hangovers are a living hell - it's just not worth it. 

I'm with you Mike. Can't beat a really good pint of real ale, although I mainly drink wine these days. The only time I drink alone is if I'm cooking, I'll often have a glass. A perfect afternoon for me is cooking while watching the cricket and having a glass of wine while I do so. I can't remember the last time I was shitfaced, as you say the hangovers just aren't worth it, and it usually takes me a couple of days to get rid of the feeling of lethargy.

• Like 1

I’m inconsistent with hangovers. 

Recently did a joint birthday day/night out. That was a session, about 8 different pubs and bars, maybe 12-15 drinks, pints, bottles, shorts, a shot or two.

Woke up feeling kinda ok really. No sore head or anything, just a bit lethargic. Kinda weird, in all honesty.

Other times I’ll have three pints and I’ll wake up the next day and I’ll feel like I’ve been hanging out with Oliver Reed and Richard Harris.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Open windows/sunroof beats air con when driving on a hot day. Just feels better. 

Not sure if that is unpopular or not. 

No. The noise, the flapping of everything in the wind.

If it's an actual hot day, the air itself is too warm.

Lager is nice, but I still don't drink it unless I'm actually "drinking"

If I go out for a meal I'd probably have one but I'd never just go and have one beer from the fridge at home

On 02/07/2023 at 18:58, TheAuthority said:

My Lord, comparing Bewdley and the rolling Worcestershire countryside to the swamp hell-hole that is Florida should be a banning offense.

Yes one of them has a world class safari and theme park, and the other has Disney World.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm with you Mike. Can't beat a really good pint of real ale, although I mainly drink wine these days. The only time I drink alone is if I'm cooking, I'll often have a glass. A perfect afternoon for me is cooking while watching the cricket and having a glass of wine while I do so. I can't remember the last time I was shitfaced, as you say the hangovers just aren't worth it, and it usually takes me a couple of days to get rid of the feeling of lethargy.

I must admit watching the cricket on TV yesterday afternoon I did think "never again "  , as you say the hangovers (and lack of sleep ) do make me question my decision making in ordering Expresso Martinis at 3 am  ... but that feeling will soon disappear when I go to the Oval in a couple of weeks and do it all again 

I get the mild buzz feeling @mjmooney refers to but Friday night about 20 of us were at a local fete with partners and kids listening to some local bands play , I knew it wouldn't' be a late one so I just drunk Pepsi max , drinking 4 beers then going home at 11 would just seems pointless to me  ... I still had a great time , its just a very different great time to the Saturday night I had which was lived at 200 mph :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

my decision making in ordering Expresso Martinis at 3 am

I can't contemplate ordering those after 6PM tbh despite that I really like them, the coffee would just keep me awake beyond when I want to sleep

I love as an espresso martini but I don't enjoy the feeling of lying awake at 4am sweating like somebody in Trainspotting, so I give them a swerve these days.

• Like 1

Â