Pre Match Thread (Cup Final 17 of 38)

villalad21

We have a run that I think will define our season. We shouldn't fear Sheffield, Watford, Norwich or Southampton. 

But to go back to this game I think we need to play not only to our own strengths but also to Sheffield's weaknesses. They will play with 5 at the back and with 2 full backs who will push on (both scored at the weekend against Norwich). They will most likely play 2 up front. 

So out of possession it's 5-4-1 and in possession it's 3-5-2. We have to find a way to get our important players on the ball in the right areas. For me that's Jack moving towards the goal with runners and McGinn arriving late into the box.  For that reason I would start Trez and ElGhazi either side of Kodija. I think all three make good runs and will give options. I also think Wes needs to be taken out of the firing line. I don't think he's as bad as everyone is making out. But a rest and an impact from the bench might be useful. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't get the Kodjia hate.

He played the majority of the games last season as a winger and still got 9 goals + 2 assists.

He may not work as hard as Wes but he will bring genuine quality.

I just think we need to try something different and Wes needs to come out of the firing line, I'm getting to the point where I almost feel sorry for him. 

• Like 2

This is a really interesting game on many levels.  On one hand United are flying, so they'll be tough.  But on the other hand, we're both promoted sides so it'll be very interesting to see how we both match up and how we've both progressed from this time last year.  Both sides will look at it as a decent opportunity to get points.  We've shown we match up very well against bottom half sides, and while they're not currently a bottom half side, I would regard them in any statistical model as being one that's punching above its weight (to their infinite credit, so take nothing away).

This is the beginning of a far kinder run of fixtures than we've had over the past 7 games.

Hopefully Sheffield United are the beginning of our good results and not the last of our bad ones.

I'll sit on the score draw fence for this one.

2-2.

• Like 1

I think this will be amongst the tough ones we have just had.

I look how they play and I look how we play and I think, we will be in trouble if we play as we have been.

Newcastle came and did a job, we are not capable of doing....and further more a job the fan base don't want us to do.

I would take the draw now, but I think Sheff Utd's effervescence and intensity, will be too much for us.....we have too many players struggling.

However, I just want 3 points.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, avfc456 said:

I just think we need to try something different and Wes needs to come out of the firing line, I'm getting to the point where I almost feel sorry for him. 

I Know Collymore is a desired taste.....but he does say, it looks like Wes is not being coached.

I have to say, by now, I though we would see some improvement in something he has.....but I think he is getting worse, not better.

On 09/12/2019 at 12:19, WakefieldVillan said:

Tough, tough game... although we need to start winning games I would probably take a point from this one. Actually... no I wouldn't, we, in my opinion, have the better players, it's all about having the desire and physically matching these which is key to getting a result (a la Newcastle last week)! I just hope the Leicester performance has hurt our lads and we can really put on a strong solid show and bring the 3 points home. 

I would be tempted to match up like-for-like with the blades and make it all about winning the personal battles, would be risky but would maybe shore the defence up a little and take Wilder by surprise. Obviously depends on Mings fitness and would be a risk if he broke down. Think McGinn should start deeper and let Jack play more central with a change up top which most fans are calling for. I really want Wes to succeed and have been less critical than many but yesterday he was very poor even by the low standards he has set.

Heaton

Konsa    Engels    Mings

Guilbert                         Targett       

McGinn    Luiz 

Grealish

Kodjia           El Ghazi 

Subs: Nyland, Hause, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, Trezeguet, Wesley 

Prediction 1v2 

needs to be Hause now instead of mings.....but, worth a try.

• Like 1

If we never scored another goal all season, but never conceded, we would continue on our point a game sequence....and probably stay up.

totally hypothetical, I know......but brings home the importance of defending adequately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

I think this will be amongst the tough ones we have just had.

I look how they play and I look how we play and I think, we will be in trouble if we play as we have been.

Newcastle came and did a job, we are not capable of doing....and further more a job the fan base don't want us to do.

I would take the draw now, but I think Sheff Utd's effervescence and intensity, will be too much for us.....we have too many players struggling.

However, I just want 3 points.

Newcastle tried to do that job to us and we bent them over a barrel.

Does that mean we're actually good?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Newcastle tried to do that job to us and we bent them over a barrel.

Does that mean we're actually good?

Goals changes games.

Before a bit of magic from Conor we struggled to break them down. When they went 1-0 down they had to try to get forward more leaving more spaces for us to exploit.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Really tuff game this, but we shouldn’t fear them.  Not aware of any suspensions?McGinn could probably do with a rest, but I think we need his battling qualities alongside Nakamba here.  Do we then go with Luiz or Hourihane?  Mings is very likely out, so Hause has to play for balance at CB.  Hoping Targett makes it though:

---------------------Heaton-------------------

--Guilbert--Engels--Hause--Targett--

---McGinn--Nakamba--Hourihane---

------El Ghazi--Wesley--Grealish-----

Subs: Nyland, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Lansbury, Trez, Kodj

*Personally, I wouldn’t start Wesley, but think Smith will. 

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Hause  Targett

Luiz 

McGinn          Grealish

Treazeguet   Wesley      El Ghazi

Hause over Konsa, we need a left sided defender to be able to play out from the back.

I would bring Grealish back into the midfield for this game, use two wingers and try and get them closer to Wesley.

McGinn needs a rest but this is our toughest game, by bringing Grealish closer to him we may see him back to his best.

I'd be very tempted to go 4-1-4-1 for this game.

Heaton

Guilbert          Engels          Hause          Targett

Nakamba

Jota               McGinn       Grealish       El Ghazi

Wesley

United have made a great start to the season and they are more than half way to safety already. They have surprised a lot of teams, but that should not be the case with us. They came up with us and have not significantly changed, either their players or their way of playing. We should therefore know what to expect on Saturday. They had the better of our two games last season and will take confidence from both that and from their positive results so far this season. We are not going to Stamford Bridge or Anfield though, this is a club that we can do battle with, without the feeling that we are not yet at the same level as they are.  We were last season and are this. This is a game that if we can match their will to win, that we can fully expect to get something our of!

During the last two seasons, we have won one, lost one and have drawn the other two games that we have played against Saturday's opponents. We won there in January 2018, thanks to a late Robert Snoddgrass winner. Overall, we have won 59 and have drawn 31 of the 126 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

A win will take us within 4 points of The Blades, it will also keep us clear of the bottom three. This and the three league games that follow it, can take us into the New Year with the points, that can see us in mid-table, rather than in the bottom three or six. Make it so Villa, we can start with a point or three on Saturday! 🍻          

Edited by John
  • Like 4

Heaton

Fred G   Engels   Hause   Targett

Doug          Nakamba

Trez             Grealish           Hourihane

El Ghazi

For me

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 18:46, Wainy316 said:

They are actually better away than at home so that gives me some hope.

It's very marginal. Newcastle result was disappointing but before that they should've beaten Man. United, beat Burnley 3-0 and Arsenal 1-0.

Can see us losing this 2-1. Hope for a draw but given how badly we struggled to counter the Wolves 3-5-2 and also how badly we dealth with SU's 3-5-2 last season I'm not optimistic we'll suddenly come out and nulifiy it.

Of course DS could always switch to 5-3-2 to counter but it's not something he rightly or wrongly ever does. And Mings injury has probably stopped it anyway if it was a remote consideration.