The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I whacked a fiver on labour majority at 20-1.  I sense a massive shock.

Gone out to 22/1 now for a Labour majority.  4/9 Con majority.

I think we can all work out who "Sad Ken" is in this horse race to No. 10.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

I hate the above but it's right.

The worst thing is, passing Johnson's deal doesn't even come close to getting Brexit done.

But the optics of 'getting it done' will mean millions will disengage and stop caring.

• Like 2

Optimistically, I find myself hoping that the dawning reality for voters after the election that electing a Conservative majority did not lead to 'getting it over and done with' will lead to a post-election backlash against the Tories. However, it's pretty cold comfort. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Optimistically, I find myself hoping that the dawning reality for voters after the election that electing a Conservative majority did not lead to 'getting it over and done with' will lead to a post-election backlash against the Tories. However, it's pretty cold comfort. 

I'm not sure it will happen.

Boris has just promised a review into Business Rates...incidentally the 4th since the coalition took over and things have only got worse for small businesses since. The system has barely changed, and in fact aligned itself with the 'hostile environment' while the agency is as ill funded and lacking in talent as it has ever been. People will still lap it up.

Andrea Leadsom was on R4 this morning talking about cuts to business rates and said the money wont have to come from anywhere as "Since our reduction in the headline rate of corporation tax, the HMRC take has increased by 45%". Not only does this ignore inflation, but I'm not convinced the laffer curve even makes vague sense for bricks and mortar businesses 😂

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You’ll only need to wait 5 years for a chance to enact your response. 

Labour should have changed leader a long time ago to have given themselves a fighting chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not looking good for my bet but Trump and Brexit were big shocks so you never know. 

i won money on both...people are just that stupid. not in a month of sundays are labour getting a majority unfortunately

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

There is some controversy over polls on Twitter, apparently the big pollsters are using data suggesting that the age turnout of young voters is waaay down on 2017 figures and that turnout for older voters (65+) will actually be up.

I'm not sure how accurate any of these claims or methodology are, however I do know that Labour (and to a lesser extent LibDems) are popular with younger voters. 

If they can convince them to vote, then they could potentially catch the pollsters out. I hope. 

I think someone had revised the latest Kantar poll to match 2017 turnout that put Tories of 34%, Labour on 30%

57 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Labour should have changed leader a long time ago to have given themselves a fighting chance.

100 % agree.  A lot of people I suspect like his policies but just don't like Corbyn or his shadow cabinet powerhouse of minds.

They mis-judged the market as well.  The sitting on the fence and refusing to answer question on their views personally comes of a accidental comedy.

I don't think people want the division of any more referendums,  if they did,  Labour would be cruising  by now as the only ballot giving choice.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I don't think people want the division of any more referendums,  if they did,  Labour would be cruising  by now as the only ballot giving choice.

You honestly think a referendum is more decisive than either hard/clean/real/promised/disaster Brexit or politicians deciding to revoke Article 50 without going back to people? I think a referendum is absolutely key to start healing some of the division.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You honestly think a referendum is more decisive than either hard/clean/real/promised/disaster Brexit or politicians deciding to revoke Article 50 without going back to people? I think a referendum is absolutely key to start healing some of the division.

Referendums are a no go anymore as far as I can see.

If the 1st referendum was the equivalent of giving a monkey a loaded gun, then the only difference for the 2nd referendum is you let the monkey have a good look at the gun for a bit before you put the bullet in it.  Same population,  same sort of question, same risk of media pressure or whatever.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Referendums are a no go anymore as far as I can see.

If the 1st referendum was the equivalent of giving a monkey a loaded gun, then the only difference for the 2nd referendum is you let the monkey have a good look at the gun for a bit before you put the bullet in it.  Same population,  same sort of question, same risk of media pressure or whatever.  

The difference this time would be that you know what both leave and remain actually mean.  The massive flaw in the last one is that nobody actually knew what deal we would get if we left.  I reckon there would have been similar chaos if the Scotch voted for independence but thankfully they voted for the status quo. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The massive flaw in the last one is that nobody actually knew what deal we would get if we left

This diamond we have has another flaw😀,  "knew what deal now" relies on the voting population to seek,  digest,  understand & vote rationally on this (100% correct not fake news) they receive about the 2nd referendum.  This with the last referendum result fresh in our minds and the lunacy of the Scottish to try and go it alone as voting patterns go,  never mind the Euro elections.  You might actually be ******d.  Sorry about that. 🤗

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

I would be genuinely gobsmacked if its anything other than a Conservative majority. 

The line "lets get Brexit done" has been worked out by an algorithm and it is comfortably powerful enough to convince enough people who are now so disengaged with the p[political process that all they need is out a tag line to make up their mind. 

I'd go as far to say we no longer live in a democracy. A democracy requires a public that understands the consequences of what they vote for and are engaged in the political debate. It requires politicians that tell the truth or are held accountable when they don't. 

We have a set of politicians who just lie at will and do anything but explain the consequences to the public of the choices they propose. 

In the face of that people just switch off, tired of being lied to so consistently. Protecting themselves from the hideousness of what our political system has become. If you constantly switch off, never listen then four words is all you need be told to feel you've made a good decision about your future. 

As far as I know Labour haven't even got their four words yet. Are they recycling " for the many, not the few" again? Genuinely don't know, which when compared to the consistent robotic repetition of "lets get it done" being garbled 28 times in every interview makes the point rather starkly. 

"One more heave" the most adequate for that lot.