January Transfers 2019/20

sne

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Benrahma hatrick.Really wish we had signed him.  Such a talent.

If Brentford come up they’ll be able to keep him for another year.

Thank goodness Neither him or Ollie Watkins moved on in this window, I think they wanted to stay to see if we can get promoted ready for the move to the new stadium, Watkins is contracted for 3 years +1 option and Benrahma has 2 years left in June, so If we don't get promotion this year I can see both of them moving on, I think we have already anticipated this could happen and have bought in 4 new players this window, just in case,

I don't think either would look out of place in the Premiership, Benrahma, after a few injuries at the start of the season has now found his old form has returned, as seen on Sky yesterday, Watkins has transferred to a genuine striker without any problems, and is the Championships leading scorer,  fingers crossed we can make to the promised land, if not expect a bidding war to break out at the end of the season for those two.

At least you are making some progress, I think you will make it, Just.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2020 at 17:17, Pimlico_Villa said:

For this transfer strategy of buying dross to work, Smith needs to be able to coach players and make them better. He can’t. 

He clearly can. There's stuff I'm not happy about in terms of tactics, but most players have improved massively under him. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So we let Chester leave and Konza gets injured and now Davis has got injured. 

Thank god we got a forward over the line.

Chester wanted to leave and hasn't started last 41 league game plus EFL finals

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sne said:

Salomon Kalou claims we tried to sign him on deadline day.

Hertha were trying to remove both him and Selke on deadline day so makes sense was an enquiry, especially with the alleged Selke link it could have been Kalou we wanted 

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Chester wanted to leave and hasn't started last 41 league game plus EFL finals

Why do you keep saying this? Do you think it was a good decision to let him go?

We've got no centre halves at all in reserve as of right now. It'll be Taylor or Elmo in at CB should someone get injured or sent off.

It was a bad decision to let him go with no recall.

Edited by Tomaszk

On 01/02/2020 at 19:17, Pimlico_Villa said:

For this transfer strategy of buying dross to work, Smith needs to be able to coach players and make them better. He can’t. 

From all players we got, who do you really think is dross?

In reality, I don't remember when was the last time we got a lot of good players. But sadly we had a few issues we didn't address.

Heaton, Reina, Mings: Top signings.

Guilbert, Targett: They're the best FB I've seen at Villa in this decade. Walker and Bertrand were on short loans. 

Engels, Konsa: They've shown a lot of promise and I'm happy with them around. Konsa is a great prospect actually.

Nakamba: A good player to have for some games, I'd argue that we need a big and stronger midfielder, but in a different circumstances he can be good. Limited in terms of technique or passing.

Luiz: A good prospect, isn't ready to start every game, but isn't a bad buy at all. 

El Ghazi: I'd buy him for his goal at Wembley, the amount of love he had at that moment was unbelievable. A very good squad player at this (not a starter though).

The only two which I think that have been disappointing were Wesley and Trez. Although Trez numbers are fine, his work rate is good, but he's not technical enough for stage. 

Drinkwater: Disappointing so far, we had him on loan, as a short term solution because of McGinn's absence. 

Samatta: Early days, but scored in his first PL game. 

Borja: Free, short term signing. Squad depth. 

Some people say: it would have been better to combine what we've paid for Nakamba or Luiz and get one player. But in reality we're forced to play with the two of them, and Hourihane's defensive ability can't be trusted at all. 

Same goes with our defence, some people questioned getting 4 defenders, but now some are questioning the squad depth there!

To be fair, We were a STRIKER, WINGER, DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER from having a perfect summer. But we had a lot to do. We've tried to get a striker and winger but it didn't at the end.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

El Ghazi: I'd buy him for his goal at Wembley

I wouldn't. I'd buy him to keep some of the team mind. Continuity etc. 

For all the praise people give El Ghazi for scoring goals, he has 4 goals in the league, in what I assume is close to 2000 minutes. Trez has 3 league goals in half of that. 

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

For all the praise people give El Ghazi for scoring goals, he has 4 goals in the league, in what I assume is close to 2000 minutes. Trez has 3 league goals in half of that. 

AEG has played 1571 minuutes. Trez 1248 minutes, so closer than you think. AEG still has the sligher better minute per goal rate however and definitely has a much higher minute per assist rate.

Absoluute numbers wise, it does seem like Trez has pathetically low assist rate and expected assist rate. I reckon its because he's not the type of player who usually makes intelligent passes or crosses for people to get on the end off. Just my thoughts after noticing the stat.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ofcourse the club won't by him for the goal itself. But after Wembley I won't mind buying him at all. The buzz stayed until the Spurs game. But anyway he's an ok squad player. On his day, he's very good.

Regarding Trez, as I've mentioned, his numbers are good. But in terms of the general play, he isn't that gifted. He's a hard worker. You can't compare his ability with El Ghazi (on his day). 

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd take a grafter over El Ghazi any day. The poor defensive work is a major issue where we end up leaking goals. I do however think Trezeguet is a bit too poor in possession atm. Just need better options asap. 

I think those two plus Wesley were our worst piece of business (as a starters). Funnily enough we’re still the leading goal scorers from the bottom half. 

It affect us mentally and defensively though, number of goals aren’t enough when you analyze the whole situation.

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think those two plus Wesley were our worst piece of business (as a starters). Funnily enough we’re still the leading goal scorers from the bottom half. 

It affect us mentally and defensively though, number of goals aren’t enough when you analyze the whole situation.

Yeah probably our worst business but still a pretty decent return, all ends up. The problem is that they were all new to the league, with two new to the team and English game too. 

I think AEG has been the most disappointing - as we've seen with Hourihane, it's all well and dandy scoring every now and again but if you're not battling it out, you're helping the other team.