January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If soneone said in december we would sign a world cup winning goalkeeper, a premier league winning midfielder, a promising african striker with a great goalscoring ratio, one of the most highly sought after 16 year old strikers in europe and a 15 million spanish striker on a free, i would have been ecstatic

And this is pretty much the reason why context is very much important. I'm sure if someone said this to you, the players you would be thinking of probably wouldn't be Reina, Drinkwater and Baston(a guy who hasn't even hit something like a 1 in 3 strike rate in 4 years now). Although promising African striker and Samatta would be fair. Oh and Barry as a very highly sought after 16 yo.

Not even saying they're bad signings. Just that you know when you say world cuup winning goalkeeper, premier league winning midfielder and  15 million spanish striker on a free these aren't the guys that come to mind. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Expand on 'alot' please, for the sake of the thousands of Villa supporters who have actually seen him play and are not convinced that he is any good at anything football related. I thought that the 20 minute 'cameo' by Davis when he came on ( Leicester match )was more convincing than anything Wesley has produced.

Depends if you want your strikers to score goals or not really.

Would I have like a Benrahma type player?....yes.

But, overall I'm fairly happy with the acquisitions in Jan.

Reina - experienced, really good distribution, great signing.

Drinkwater - Free shot, either he gets up to speed and helps us stay up, or he leaves at the end of the season.

Samatta - looks a decent player, looks exactly the type of all rounder we need, looks like he has a bit of everything, hope he settles quickly.

Baston - got some pedigree on paper, free transfer, if he rediscovers some form he could be a brilliant signing, if he doesn't hes 3rd choice and his contract expires in the summer, win-win tbh.

Barry - one for the future (or some time off the bench to assist development)

Overall some very prudent/intelligent signings imo.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Expand on 'alot' please, for the sake of the thousands of Villa supporters who have actually seen him play and are not convinced that he is any good at anything football related. I thought that the 20 minute 'cameo' by Davis when he came on ( Leicester match )was more convincing than anything Wesley has produced.

Nah man you’re special, definitely not thousands of you bud.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Nah man you’re special, definitely not thousands of you bud.

Every Villa fan I know doesn’t rate him. Stop burying your head in the sand. We all want him to do well, we just don’t see enough in his game to think he’ll be a success at this level.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Every Villa fan I know doesn’t rate him. Stop burying your head in the sand. We all want him to do well, we just don’t see enough in his game to think he’ll be a success at this level.

Every fan you know? Ah okay, must be true then.

Must be tough having hundreds of thousands of mates.

Really not sure Villa have done enough in the market to beat the drop comfortably? Numbers yes but quality?

Letting Chester go wasn’t smart imo but understand the player wanted games to be picked for the Euros. Hopefully there’s a call back clause in the loan deal should injuries hit as Mings is a real worry for me constantly grabbing his calf against Leicester.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Really not sure Villa have done enough in the market to beat the drop comfortably? Numbers yes but quality?

Letting Chester go wasn’t smart imo but understand the player wanted games to be picked for the Euros. Hopefully there’s a call back clause in the loan deal should injuries hit as Mings is a real worry for me constantly grabbing his calf against Leicester.

Probably haven't but we've done enough to give us a fighting chance at least. Pretty sure betting sites still have us as a favorite for the drop.

I do think however, anyone thinking we are a certainty for surviving or being relegated at this point have made their decision way too soon.

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

And this is pretty much the reason why context is very much important. I'm sure if someone said this to you, the players you would be thinking of probably wouldn't be Reina, Drinkwater and Baston(a guy who hasn't even hit something like a 1 in 3 strike rate in 4 years now). Although promising African striker and Samatta would be fair. Oh and Barry as a very highly sought after 16 yo.

Not even saying they're bad signings. Just that you know when you say world cuup winning goalkeeper, premier league winning midfielder and  15 million spanish striker on a free these aren't the guys that come to mind. 

True, trying to be positive. For what its worth, i think reina is an excellent bit of business, calm head n all that. There is a player in DD, just he is nowhere near match fit - could tske weeks yet. Baston is literally a 3rd choice striker. 

24 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

True, trying to be positive. For what its worth, i think reina is an excellent bit of business, calm head n all that. There is a player in DD, just he is nowhere near match fit - could tske weeks yet. Baston is literally a 3rd choice striker. 

Reina's distribution in his first game for a long time was unreal, he made some top drawer saves too. Could be instrumental in our season still. On Baston, 3rd choice or not I don't know, it is however the case for the first time this season that there will be competition for places, bench and starting between a group of forwards that train together. We've not had that yet, should result in a sharper forward on the pitch for us which we have needed. We are in good form these additions we've made we were crying out for, a couple of others would have been even better but we've given ourselves a chance now. Need to take it.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Benrahma hatrick.Really wish we had signed him.  Such a talent.

If Brentford come up they’ll be able to keep him for another year.

With a population of at least 43 million in Algeria he would also tick the box with us tapping up another big African market.

• Like 1