January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Samatta and Reina look decent signings on paper. Drinkwater actually looks woeful so far and Barry is an academy signing. Borja is just another body in until the summer as cover not expecting anything. Overall 7/10 probably 8 in reality (due to constraints) as let’s be honest we are hampered until the summer when we will know if we’d stay up or not and can plan accordingly.

• Like 1

Generally a subdued window, we were one of the busiest teams with 4 in.

Out of teams at the bottom, I think we had the best window, I think Reina, Drinkwater and Samatta will all contribute, I know nothing about Baston.

West Ham have the wild card, who knows how deep their problems run, Bowen could be great but it’s a big ask for a 23y.o. Championship player to save their season with all the experience they already have, but then again relying on Tammy has done wonders for Chelsea.

Edited by thunderball

So glad that is all over. I hate the January TW doubled with the fact I have been doing dry Jan! You only need to see what January can do to foolish clubs when you look at West Ham. Bowen might well shine but at the reported figures it is way too much of a gamble. Had the feel of a Scott Hogan signing time me.

Anyway on to the real business. 15 cup finals await. Hopefully we will be able to enjoy it. 5 more league wins and a cup final victory should do us very nicely. Let’s hope tonight I am celebrating our first of those victories with a long overdue Stella!

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Says a lot for Hogan that we are desperate for a striker, but we let him to to sha regardless, then signed borja on a free.

Shoes how highly deano rates him 4 sure (or maybe hogan is adamant he wants first team football)

Well if he wants to play he can’t be accused of being a loafer..

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Just out of curiosity... if we stay up this year... will we have money to spend in the summer or are we forever burdened by FFP? 

Knowing nothing of the rules, I aways thought if we stay up we can throw another £140 mill at the squad...

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Just out of curiosity... if we stay up this year... will we have money to spend in the summer or are we forever burdened by FFP? 

I think being prudent in this window was always with one eye in the next window, regardless of the division that we’re in. 

Relegation will obviously being some financial problems. If however we stay up we will be a much better proposition for potential signings, than we are now in a relegation battle. I definitely think there was an element of keeping our powder dry for the summer when we’re stronger as a club and the window offers considerably better value. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

No reason why Wes and Nassef can't give us all the TV money to spend again if we stay up as far as I can tell.  You would hope our other income streams will have increased too with 40k turning up every home game plus merchandise.

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Knowing nothing of the rules, I aways thought if we stay up we can throw another £140 mill at the squad...

If we could spend £120m last summer still with that horrendous year of losses being counted on our books and towards ffp, I'm sure it is more than feasible that we could at least spend that again this summer but on 4-5 players rather than 12.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm sure that theoretically we can spend progressively more over the next two years if we stay up. I think FFP works off a three year cycle and whilst this year we've had premier league revenue (TV money etc), the previous two years we've been in the championship so revenue would have been much lower. As an optimist, I'd hope that next season we spend at least as much as we have this season just on fewer, higher quality players. 

• Like 1

Jim White of Sky Sports saying we rejected a deal for Odion Ighalo the previous night. Not that surprised given that I read somewhere he's on like 100k plus a week. I think United taking a bit of a risk on him, but they can at least afford to right now. Will be interesting to see how he does there. 

No-one really knows whether it was a good window or not. If Samatta performs then yes, it’s been a good window but if he doesn’t, I imagine the same people that are pleased now will be critical later on down the line. 

Im reserving judgment on whether it’s been a successful window or not. What I will say is that it is clearly extremely difficult to bring players in, in January.

The January window won’t be the reason we’re relegated or if we survive, it’s the summer transfers that will determine our fate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Jim White of Sky Sports saying we rejected a deal for Odion Ighalo the previous night. Not that surprised given that I read somewhere he's on like 100k plus a week. I think United taking a bit of a risk on him, but they can at least afford to right now. Will be interesting to see how he does there. 

United signing our rejects...LOL

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

A lot, it seems.

Expand on 'alot' please, for the sake of the thousands of Villa supporters who have actually seen him play and are not convinced that he is any good at anything football related. I thought that the 20 minute 'cameo' by Davis when he came on ( Leicester match )was more convincing than anything Wesley has produced.