Czech Repulic v England/Bulgaria v England

andykeenan

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's right? Scott Hogan has been earning almost as much from us for the past 2.5 years. Spurs players have been woefully underpaid for years and it's one of the main reasons why it's now all coming to a head there.

Case in point: Jack currently makes more than Christian Eriksen and probably has done since last season when he was a Championship player. Eriksen is in the top 5 best attacking midfielders in the world.

The public, who are struggling to survive with stagnating wages etc, don't want to hear about someone who earns £3.3m a year for kicking a ball around a field complaining they aren't valued by their employer. If Rose felt that, he should have raised it internally or put in a transfer request and moved. Yet he still signed the contract. 

Saying that he's woefully underpaid is wrong. He's just not as massively and grossly overpaid as others! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, penguin said:

Southgate is an atrocious manager who has zero tactical nous. Imagine watching this and thinking “I know what this game needs! Marcus Rashford and Ross **** Barkley.”

Christ, he got us to a World Cup semi final when nobody thought we had a chance and then the final of that other thing we were in.  

• Like 1

ITV pundits - love that if you don't perform you don't get in this England side

Gareth - send on Barkley and Rashford

We were uninspiring in the world cup, and when it mattered he bottled it in the nation's league.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Having his work ethic questioned for the rest of his career because he chose to express how racism made him feel is exactly why some players are reluctant to speak out.

A lot of people (me included) thought he was like that prior to him speaking out. Now he genuinely looks though as if he doesn’t want to be playing.

That put me in mind of those awful Hodgson inspired performances that I thought we'd gotten over.  Wanting to play out is fine, but there was no urgency to try and get past the endless press that the Czechs put on.  Even more annoying was there was a couple of times that going long / switching play with crossfield diagonals found some space to exploit, but that wasn't used enough to stretch the game and we instead just went back to short slow passes ending up with the keeper starting the whole rigmarole over again.  At least we cut out those godawful blind first-time-pass-around-the-corner-that-leads-to-an-interception in the second half.

Can't exactly say that bringing on two out of form players is anyway to change a game for the better, but fair play to Barkley as he looked better going forward than his last start. 

Rice certainly isn't showing much of what he's supposed to be bringing from his club form into this side (though he was shunted out in the second half) and Michael Keane is more than amply filling John Stones' comedy shoes.

All in all, bleh.

Some random players in that team is the problem. Rice eerrghhh, Henderson Southgates mate always been over rated, an Keane  who da ****. Not wearing my claret an blues, but the back is all over the place an there's our boy Mings just there to watch the game??

Edited by foreveryoung

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Christ, he got us to a World Cup semi final when nobody thought we had a chance and then the final of that other thing we were in.  

With a midfield problem that he hasn't fixed and a defence that has got worse

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The public, who are struggling to survive with stagnating wages etc, don't want to hear about someone who earns £3.3m a year for kicking a ball around a field complaining they aren't valued by their employer. If Rose felt that, he should have raised it internally or put in a transfer request and moved. Yet he still signed the contract. 

Saying that he's woefully underpaid is wrong. He's just not as massively and grossly overpaid as others! 

Well he wasn't this valuable when he signed the contract. He was yet to hit the form that made him the best left back in the country. Spurs players are being underpaid compared to their colleagues, that's just true. Footballers' skillset is very lucrative and their pay reflects that, sure. That's the free market. But even in the free market, you're well within your rights to ask for parity or look elsewhere if you don't get it. Footballers aren't exempt from this because make a lot more money than average. If your company is paying you and your colleagues a lot less than market rate for your position, would you be wrong in thinking you deserve a raise? Or because there are starving people out there you'd suck it up?

He gets 65k/week. His former teammate of similar skill, Kyle Walker left the cluband is now making around 150-200k/week, the going rate at top clubs. Spurs are paying world class players relative pennies. They're absolutely nothing wrong in questioning that. Don't understand why we should judge their character when we wouldn't do any different. These guys have 10-15 years in this game, max and very limited career prospects after that. I say make as much as you can, while you can. No shame in it.

The funny thing is that people have been praising Christian Eriksen's character all summer when he's in the exact same boat as Rose. He's actively running down his contract because he gets paid pennies compared to his contemporaries and his team are suffering for it and his half-assed performances. The same goes for Vertonghen and Alderweireld. But somehow Rose is the asshole for daring to say the quiet part out loud.

Southgate is crap but we need him to stay in this job.

The FA will simply scramble for the best Premier League English manager after Southgate gets the boot and even they are not dumb enough to give it to Lampard which leaves us nervously looking at our manager.

I dont care how badly the national team fails, I just want Villa to be unaffected by his bumbling so Southgate for England I say :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well he wasn't this valuable when he signed the contract. He was yet to hit the form that made him the best left back in the country. Spurs players are being underpaid compared to their colleagues, that's just true. Footballers' skillset is very lucrative and their pay reflects that, sure. That's the free market. But even in the free market, you're well within your rights to ask for parity or look elsewhere if you don't get it. Footballers aren't exempt from this because make a lot more money than average. If your company is paying you and your colleagues a lot less than market rate for your position, would you be wrong in thinking you deserve a raise? Or because there are starving people out there you'd suck it up?

He gets 65k/week. His former teammate of similar skill, Kyle Walker left the cluband is now making around 150-200k/week, the going rate at top clubs. Spurs are paying world class players relative pennies. They're absolutely nothing wrong in questioning that. Don't understand why we should judge their character when we wouldn't do any different. These guys have 10-15 years in this game, max and very limited career prospects after that. I say make as much as you can, while you can. No shame in it.

The funny thing is that people have been praising Christian Eriksen's character all summer when he's in the exact same boat as Rose. He's actively running down his contract because he gets paid pennies compared to his contemporaries and his team are suffering for it and his half-assed performances. The same goes for Vertonghen and Alderweireld. But somehow Rose is the asshole for daring to say the quiet part out loud.

He signed his contract in September 16. I think he had already peaked at that point? (he was injured a lot in the following 2 seasons) To answer your point, if I believed I was only paid 50% of what my contemporaries earned at a similar firm, i would absolutely ask for a pay-rise. If I didn't get it I would leave. What I wouldn't do it broadcast it to the media (they wouldn't care anyway! :D). Walker did the right thing - he left and has earned more. Rose could have done the same. He didn't and chose to moan about it. The other Spurs players you mention haven't moaned and I think that's why they haven't been criticised. 

I have no issues with footballers earning money, fair play to them! As for a short career, it is, but players at the top level will earn more in a few months than someone who works for 40 years will. I think sometimes footballers at the very top lose a bit of grip with reality. There are somethings that are best kept private. I wouldn't complain about my salary to a homeless person because it would appear vulgar. Rose complaining that £65k isn't enough when the average salary in the UK is what, £26k is also vulgar.  People don't want to hear it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

He signed his contract in September 16. I think he had already peaked at that point? (he was injured a lot in the following 2 seasons) To answer your point, if I believed I was only paid 50% of what my contemporaries earned at a similar firm, i would absolutely ask for a pay-rise. If I didn't get it I would leave. What I wouldn't do it broadcast it to the media (they wouldn't care anyway! :D). Walker did the right thing - he left and has earned more. Rose could have done the same. He didn't and chose to moan about it. The other Spurs players you mention haven't moaned and I think that's why they haven't been criticised. 

I have no issues with footballers earning money, fair play to them! As for a short career, it is, but players at the top level will earn more in a few months than someone who works for 40 years will. I think sometimes footballers at the very top lose a bit of grip with reality. There are somethings that are best kept private. I wouldn't complain about my salary to a homeless person because it would appear vulgar. Rose complaining that £65k isn't enough when the average salary in the UK is what, £26k is also vulgar.  People don't want to hear it.

I think he was trying to put Levy under a bit of heat. It wasn't a public interview either if I recall. It's not like they're being only slightly underpaid over at Tottenham, it's actually quite funny how much they are. He should have left like Walker did but I guess he was naive enough to want to continue with Spurs and get a pay rise there instead. Eriksen was similarly foolish. That's why I don't have any sympathy for what's happening over there. They had it coming for years, and not a single trophy to show for all the penny pinching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

And? Despite the reaching the Semis it wasn’t exactly a masterclass and couldn’t have asked for a much easier route in a World Cup; Scraped past Tunisia last minute, Colombia on penalties and lost whenever we played anyone of any really quality: Belgium twice and Croatia.

It’s certainly not the cast-iron proof of his managerial quality you seem to think it is, just ask Chris Coleman.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be honest we got to the semi final by having a good run against poor teams, our opponents until the semis were on paper much weaker teams and we would have grossly under performed if we didn't get that far based solely on the teams we came up against.

We beat Tunisia and Panama, then lost to Belgium in the group stages.

Beat Colombia on penalties in the last 16 after drawing the match.

Beat Sweden in the quarters.

Lost to Croatia in the semis.

Lost to Belgium in the third place playoff.

So really to get 4th place we beat Tunisia, Panama, Sweden, and beat Colombia on pens after drawing.

Nothing to write home about tbh, we just faced poor teams and didn't perform well against a single half decent side.

The fact is we lost to the first half decent side we faced in Croatia.

Edited by MaVilla

Â