Czech Repulic v England/Bulgaria v England

andykeenan

On 11/10/2019 at 20:12, avfcDJ said:

England reminding me of Villa under Bruce

Don't think so Villa under Bruce could defend.

How Mings isn't getting into the starting line up is a disgrace he is better than all of that defence. Maguire is just showing Man Utd are easily mugged in the transfer market we'd probably be able to get them to pay us 50 million for Taylor in January 😂😂

5 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

Don't think so Villa under Bruce could defend.

How Mings isn't getting into the starting line up is a disgrace he is better than all of that defence. Maguire is just showing Man Utd are easily mugged in the transfer market we'd probably be able to get them to pay us 50 million for Taylor in January 😂😂

To be fair our defence isn't the best and Mings has made a few howlers this season. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's obviously going to be Eddie Howe.

Not sure if he'd be ready for it even in years time but he has far more experience at top level than Dean Smith has.

Brendan Rodgers might be outside tip but difficult to see him leaving Leicester if they make the top 4.

Good point. Howe for England!

21 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Henry winters answer is to get gomez who doesn't start for Liverpool in there

And a midfield of Henderson Mount and Winks

**** me... 

TAA and Chilwell getting a nod is a no brainer at this point 

Henry Winter is a **** cretin. I can't believe he's watched football for so long and still knows absolutely nothing about it.

Remember this is the Henry Winter who campaigned for Solskjaer to be United manager, and who thinks Southgate is one of the all-time greats.

56 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Henry Winter is a **** cretin. I can't believe he's watched football for so long and still knows absolutely nothing about it.

Remember this is the Henry Winter who campaigned for Solskjaer to be United manager, and who thinks Southgate is one of the all-time greats.

He said Pep going to City would revolutionise the England national team

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He said Pep going to City would revolutionise the England national team

In fairness, I think we will have Pep to thank for Phil Foden - partly for his education as a player, but also for protecting him from too much exposure too young. Look after him now, and he could be England's best midfielder for the next 15 years, as I think he will be one of those players who improves throughout his career.

I think Southgate has a quite a rigid view of midfielders as either being defensive shields or goal/assist merchants, and with the possible exception of Henderson (who is a good decision maker, and gets too much flak IMO) we miss out on that "glue" in the middle of the park which keeps the ball ticking over progressively in possession. The two young English players who offer that are Grealish and Foden, and we need to get them both in the squad ASAP. Even a direct team benefits from having someone who can retain possession and use it intelligently.

Mount and Barkley are too inclined to go for the long shot or the speculative through ball, which look good on the highlights reel when they come off, but when it's not working it just means you're constantly throwing away possession.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Mount and Barkley are too inclined to go for the long shot or the speculative through ball, which look good on the highlights reel when they come off, but when it's not working it just means you're constantly throwing away possession.

I think that's how he set us up in the WC, get it forward quick and in to space, sterling, ali and Lingard as willing runners, get the ball in the one of the best goalscorers in the world 3 or 4 times and he will score (another reason why he cant drop kane, our entire set up is find kane quick and early) that low % through ball is on purpose, all the while knowing that you defensively solid and were good at set pieces

the problem is at the WC with the limitations of the squad and the effectiveness of the simple play you could accept it, now with sterling playing out of his skin, Sancho looking a top prospect and midfielders waiting in the wings who can actually play football that's not going to work, ball playing CBs is bollocks at times, pickford to keane to maguire back to pickford floated ball out to rose "keeping the ball" most teams will let you do that because its no threat to them, its meaningless possession, we did it under bruce, eventually it has to gone forward which is usually in the form of an aimless ball over the top in the channels (for all his form and accolades he's getting now Sterlings running in the WC was incredible, chased everything and won stuff he had no right to) we have to start seeing progression in how England are set up and play, sadly for jack I think foden will be southgates panic button and he'll get the call up before jack does but that said Maddison still isn't starting despite being the blindingly obvious option

easy indication of what's changed - the WC where we had well versed corner routines, everyone in a line running off leaving a man in space to attack the ball or failing that hoping that the defender sees the movement late and blocks a runner rather than matching the run winning a penalty, where's that gone? we looked drilled last summer

Â