Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/19 at 22:59

Disappointing to lose this one, but not as disappointing a performance against Arsenal as others we have given in recent years (such as in the FA Cup final for example). We certainly gave them a game this time and they will be mighty relieved to have come away with the points. 

We are new to this league and for a second time have come away from difficult fixtures in North London, rightly thinking that we should have got something out of the game. That's far better than getting a hiding, as many none Villa fans would have anticipated us getting at both stadiums. 

This team can and will need to further improve. It will need to hold onto leads and to take advantage of teams that go down to ten men. It's still relatively early days though and a couple of much needed home wins can do much to lift the confidence of players and fans alike. We already look a better team to me, than we did at this time last season and most definitely a better team, than the one that last played for us in this league and were relegated so embarrassingly. It's too soon for us to give up on these players, their boss and on this season! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, granto said:

Lack of subs cost us that game for me, was crying out for some fresh legs in midfield to get on the pitch.

I keep seeing this. What is wrong with our players that they are so unconditioned compared to other teams? It's ridiculous

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Just to try to knock this excuse on the head once and for all, at kick-off Arsenal were 10th. They don’t look much like a top 6 side so far this season.

Bookies have them 4th favourites for a top 4 finish.

Transfermarkt have them 6th most valuable squad (£615m - 7th is Everton on £455m so it's a big gap).

They were 10th at kick off because they played Liverpool and Spurs in their first 5 fixtures.

They will finish in the top 6. Not sure you've knocked this on the head even once, and definitely not for all.

• Like 2

Apart from the goals 2 key events in the 2nd half exemplified the lack of bottle. The first was when Jack played Trez in on goal and he simply blasted it at their keeper when he had time to take a few more steps and place it. And the second one was we were deep into their half, with numbers around the ball, Trez plays the ball back to Fred, who just tries to put a speculative cross in from deep and it's easily rebounded. We still had the numbers here and had the option of keeping the ball and waiting for a better option, but the decision making was terrible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

If the wall had of resembled anything like a wall, he would have had a difficult job.....instead, there was a gaping hole to aim for.

Yeah there were a couple of things with the wall, why only a four man wall from there I have no idea, but then isn't it a new rule that they can't put men in our wall? they had 3 or 4 in and around it **** around with Heaton's view but yeah the wall wasn't great!

Before the game how many of us thought we'd get anything from it? Can't have been many. Maybe a point? Yes it's a blow not to get anything out of the game but we'll learn a lot from this I'd imagine.  Remember a lot of these players haven't played a dozen games together yet. 

Just watched MOTD 2. They all agree it was a clear penalty. VAR just backs the ref's decision, once again it has proved irrelevant that the decision made was blatantly the wrong one. That's two late equalisers and two points that we have been denied against Palace and now Arsenal!😠

• Like 4

In the cold light of the day

We played Arsenal away from home. Bookies odds were fantastic for a win - It was not expected and Robbed by penalty decision again near the end  

Even though we were not expected to win we could have had a point , I do put most blame on DS for late subs, when we could all see the players in the middle were knackered

This is not the last game we will lose this season, but I still have faith that DS will learn from this and accept that there was more he could have and should have done 

He will keep us up by ensuring wins against the lesser teams 

UTV

13 hours ago, TRO said:

We just simply have to find a way back to picking up points.

Yes indeed.

To do this I think we need to change formation and shore up the midfield. I think having two wide men are a luxury in the premiership. Especially the ones we have who are weak in defence and get shrugged off the ball far too easily.

This was apparent in yesterday’s game when Dean should have made changes to the midfield a lot earlier to negate the changes Arsenal made and nullify there attacking strength.

I would like to see us just play one wide man for the Burnley game which will be a more physical type of game.

10 hours ago, turvontour said:

Really, why? Not like we're cut adrift and getting smashed in every game.

If we'd held out for another 10 mins today we would have been one point off 7th. 

You must have missed the multiple posts from people saying DS is out of his depth, etc.  He is starting to lose the fans.

His decisions have cost us directly in at least 3 games now, and they are the same mistakes time and again.

Perhaps i'm being overly negative, but ive not seen any real improvement over 6 games, and that worries me.  Not that we are playing badly, but we reach 60 mins, players are clearly tired, which in itself shows a bigger issue, but DS then waits another 20 mins to do something about it by which time we've slipped a couple of goals and the game has gone.

Its frustrating.  If we fail to pick up points against our direct rivals (i.e. Burnley) then where will the points we need to stay up come from?

4 points from 6 games is only marginally better than our relegation season.  DS needs to start learning, and fast, or it'll be too late.  Not to mention his dillusions about our 'attacking intent', which, quite frankly, isn't evident on or off the pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Just watched MOTD 2. They all agree it was a clear penalty. VAR just backs the ref's decision, once again it has proved irrelevant that the decision made was blatantly the wrong one. That's two late equalisers and two points that we have been denied against Palace and now Arsenal!😠

In its current use.....i have no idea what use it is.

might as well be restricted to goal line decisions only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

You must have missed the multiple posts from people saying DS is out of his depth, etc.  He is starting to lose the fans.

His decisions have cost us directly in at least 3 games now, and they are the same mistakes time and again.

Perhaps i'm being overly negative, but ive not seen any real improvement over 6 games, and that worries me.  Not that we are playing badly, but we reach 60 mins, players are clearly tired, which in itself shows a bigger issue, but DS then waits another 20 mins to do something about it by which time we've slipped a couple of goals and the game has gone.

Its frustrating.  If we fail to pick up points against our direct rivals (i.e. Burnley) then where will the points we need to stay up come from?

4 points from 6 games is only marginally better than our relegation season.  DS needs to start learning, and fast, or it'll be too late.  Not to mention his dillusions about our 'attacking intent', which, quite frankly, isn't evident on or off the pitch.

I think its a bit premature to start turning on him....but he has to be prepared to change things.....because, right now, we are playing naive football.....good on the eye, poor on points.

I have reservations about the simplicity of Bruce being overly defensive and Smith being overly offensive.....The middle has to be tightened up.

If Dean thinks, we need to go to Arsenal and score 3 or 4, I worry for us...its fanciful.

Like boxing you throw punches and you defend punches and you have you know( make decisions) WHEN to do both.

6 hours ago, Ponky said:

Apart from the goals 2 key events in the 2nd half exemplified the lack of bottle. The first was when Jack played Trez in on goal and he simply blasted it at their keeper when he had time to take a few more steps and place it. And the second one was we were deep into their half, with numbers around the ball, Trez plays the ball back to Fred, who just tries to put a speculative cross in from deep and it's easily rebounded. We still had the numbers here and had the option of keeping the ball and waiting for a better option, but the decision making was terrible. 

Symptoms of the same nerves that saw that stick to defending the 18 yard line even when the manager was screaming at them to get up the pitch. We'll get there, we just need one or two to improve (Trez, El Ghazi, Wes mostly, I'd like to see Targett to improve us down that side too....) and we should get better and the confidence will come from that.

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Yes indeed.

To do this I think we need to change formation and shore up the midfield. I think having two wide men are a luxury in the premiership. Especially the ones we have who are weak in defence and get shrugged off the ball far too easily.

This was apparent in yesterday’s game when Dean should have made changes to the midfield a lot earlier to negate the changes Arsenal made and nullify there attacking strength.

I would like to see us just play one wide man for the Burnley game which will be a more physical type of game.

I could not agree with you more.

Jack and john are attacking midfielders by nature, so it leaves the defensive side of midfield short.....especially away at Arsenal.

Nakamba is still getting up to speed and Luiz is settling in.....assuming they will both be good enough.....right now they should be playing as the 2 in a 4-2-3-1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

WTAF at the bold bit? We could go weeks under Bruce before seeing the kind of attacking football we showed away at Arsenal. Yeah we sat back too much on the lead, but we got the lead in the first place and our second was awesome with Jack's run epitomising what we are about now. To call it a Smith delusion is mental, totally off the wall nuts.   

• Like 2

Â