Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/19 at 22:59

Some people on this site seem to think we've just lost to wenger's invincibles!

This is the worst arsenal team since bruce rioch's boys

zaka - garbage

Maitland-Niles  - garbage

Papastathopoulos  - utter gash

luiz - 1 decent game in 10

This arsenal team definalty puts the arse in arsenal

we have definatly parted our battieo cheeks and flushed 3 points down trap one tonight

Edited by screwdriver

8 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Arsenal are fourth in the league, perspective please.

Hmm, so maybe we were right to surrender our lead and 11-10 man advantage out of respect for their high status?

EDIT

Might just point out BTW that they are only 4th because we handed the game to them.

Had we won, we would have been13th and they 11th, 1 point above us.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Thoughts on today:

1. Good cross and great finish from McGinn.

2. Nice finish from Wesley.

3. Should have taken the initiative to go two up, either at 1-0 or 2-1.

4. It’s difficult to make sense of that second half performance. We were outfought by Arsenal (notoriously spineless Arsenal).

5. Nakamba was badly overrun in the second half and couldn’t even get close enough to commit a foul at times. Where was Douglas?

6. We lacked real composure and leadership in the second half, on the pitch and on the sideline. Why didn’t someone win a free kick, a corner, go down holding their face, knock it long and push out from the back. We allowed 10 men completely pin us back on our own goal line for over 20 mins with no respite. Incredible.

7. Arsenal were lucky to win that penalty with the shirt pull in the build up but the foul was crazy. I though Engels was good otherwise.

8. Deflating result but my hope is that we can stay in touch with the teams around the bottom 6 and try to improve from January.

9. El ghazi is taking a lot of criticism from fans but I don’t see any end product from Trez. And he’s not using Freddie on the overlap. Several wasted opportunities to attack the arsenal full back when 2 on 1.

Just now, nick76 said:

I'm disappointed and frustrated but jeez there are some massive over reactions on this site tonight.

Twice in a week, we've played against teams that looked shite, have been a man down, and then we've thrown it all away.

If you don't get points from games like today, you don't stay up. 

• Like 1

Poor , Surrendered possession against 10 men and only pushed on when they scored . Smith was urging us out but there was no leadership on the pitch to relay his wishes . We needed Jack to be that person and he didn't , he gave into his instincts and went deeper . 

Arsenal were poor before they had 10 men and after that we gave them the game, very worrying.

3 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

Arsenal are shit mate don't try and gloss over it. 

They are shit defensively but their offence  is brilliant. Once you sit back and allow them to come at you most teams in the league will struggle against them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is the first time I'm seriously questioning Smith's ability at this level. Love the bloke, but his in game management is costing us big time. Doesn't seem to know how to react to what's going on on the pitch. Worrying.

On impulse I'm starting to agree.

However let's be real, Mings, and whoever allowed Luiz into the box for the penalty are MOST at fault here.

Dean is also scared to make changed, which is bothersome.

However our players have to take ALOT of responsibility for this match!

It would be heartbreaking to lose Smith (Yes - admittedly this is more of sentimental value to me than anything else).

However there will come a point where the owners will decide if holding that sentiment and morale, is worth risking our status long term.

All that being said, we're all emotional right now. There are still 32 games and a transfer window to go.

I know we must be tired of hearing this, but there are signs of what we can do.

We just need to cut out the silly mistakes, and be more clinical!

• Like 2

Can't believe I'm saying this after playing Arsenal away...but that wasn't good enough. Our second goal showed how easy it was to score, yet we sat deeper and tried to defend against a very strong attack.

Just simply pushing the defense higher up and slowing the game down a bit would have eased the pressure. Then when the time was right to quicken it up we could have done so and got some joy. What's happened to Smith's attack minded philosophy?! 

• Like 1

Engels at fault for the first goal, that lofted pass was a bit of a nothing ball that go rammed down his throat and cost us. I have no idea what Mings was thinking either trying to head the ball to Taylor in a packed box for the second goal.  

I don’t disagree that Arsenal are not in great form at the moment and there for the taking, but they are a decent side with some class players and when we found ourselves ahead, in particular after the second goal, for some reason we appeared to try to hold on to what we had, but it was far too long to do so - the players are as desperate for points and that ‘first away win in XX’ as we are, but we need to keep our heads when we find ourselves in these sort of situations.

I can’t get my head around the Trezeguet sub, I assume it was to be more defensive, but it didn’t work and what we actually needed was to get back on the front foot, but those subs came far too late in the game.

I hope Smith is man enough to admit he got it wrong today, but ultimately individual errors cost us.

Im not ready to hit the panic button just yet, but that was horribly frustrating.

UTV

Disappointing to lose that, dominated a top 5 side for large parts of the game. 

Some of the comments on here are laughable, overreaction seems to be a Villa fans default. You forget how **** we used to be. Yes, Deano made a few mistakes today, Davis should have replaced Wesley earlier and I'm assuming Trez was tired so that's why he went off.

One Arsenal player single handedly dragged them back into that game and that was Guendouzie. The rest of em look average, even when there was 11 of em.

We will improve, no-one gets relegated in September, have some faith ffs cos I'm sick of reading the same old **** on here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Even when we were unprssured and in the lead. We rushed the ball out wide, where our wingers run into Cul de sacs. How about slowing down and keeping the ball? Terrible 

we don't have the ball control to do that.

Â