Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/19 at 22:59

42 minutes ago, smg said:

Villa talk springs into life. Oh how we like a moan, the teams shit , the managers shit, it won’t be long before we start hearing that the crowd will be turning and the atmosphere will turn toxic. Happy days are here again, we can all be gloomy and have a good moan...... or we could get behind a team and manager that are trying to get established in the premier  league having finished 5th in the second division last year. Sadly most on here want instant success which was always unlikely 

Everyone has a right to express their frustration and criticise the team if warranted. For the second time in 6 matches, we fell short against 10 men and the manager isn't sticking to his attacking philosophy. We are also at least 5 points worse off than we should be because of the above. Wesley is also very isolated because we are not attacking minded enough. Surly you can't argue that this isn't the case?! 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We just simply have to find a way back to picking up points.

We are caught between two styles, as the players are set up for a possession based game. But we are not having the lion's share in games. In that situation a counter attacking approach might work better, but we don't have any pace or an option B. 

36 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Guys, come back in off the ledge, it's still early days. We knew it would be a difficult adjustment. This is new for the players and manager alike. Smith has showed us his acumen, we need to show him some patience. The goal was always to stay up. 17th place is good enough for me, and it is achievable. So let's turn the page on this one and not create too much negativity because the team will notice and the pressure will build. Have faith that Dean is smart enough to see the project over the finish line in May. Plenty of time.

Not being funny, but where has he shown his acumen this season? Genuinely curious. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa

Anyone looking at that game and thinking ‘well, I thought we were going to get beat 3-nil so it’s not the end of the world’ and thinking we’ll gel eventually, need to get with reality.

That loss is more painful that the Bournemouth/Palace ones for me. They were awful and there for the taking. Every time we went forward we could have scored were it not for some awful winger/striker play.

Context is everything and we’ve got 1 point from two teams who have had to play large parts of the match with ten men. Compare this to the teams around us like Sheff Utd/Norwich who are beating Man City and Everton on their home patch and it doesn’t make for good reading.

We’re poor and we’re naive. We have 4 points from however many and we have a tough run coming up. We may well find ourselves out of sight very quickly. 

It’s not all doom and gloom but the realist in me thinks we’re nailed on to go down. We keep blaming individual errors and the luck of the draw but teams that survive make their own luck and we just don’t seem to be doing that.

For me personally, we’ve recruited poorly in the summer. Our best players are the ones that were here last season - Grealish, McGinn, Mings. If you’d told me we’d spend 140m and we’d still be playing El Ghazi and Taylor id have laughed at you. We’re no better than last season and that’s a team that finished 5th in the championship.

Negative? Maybe. But we stink of a team that will get relegated. And it breaks my heart knowing that I’ll have to watch Grealish and McGinn play for another team when it happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think there are some massive over reactions on here this evening but I can understand people’s disappointment under the circumstances. But this comment for me is 

You think ? If I didn't know the result and I had to guess by the mood of the comments, I would think we had been on the end of a hammering. 

All of a sudden we're a certainty for relegation. What a dreadful lack of faith.

• Like 1

Truth is we are woefully short in attack. As negligent as Bruce was with centre backs last Summer, Smith and Suso have been with forwards this window. Starting the season with a starting 3 and only two subs, one of whom is 21 and never scores, it’s a shocker.

We are 3 forwards short of actually being OK. Just OK.

Also Trez should be up to 90 minutes now, albeit he ran his arse off today.

....and we keep inviting pressure and making silly, silly errors that get punished with goals.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah that’s too much.  Ok £100 to a charity of your choice if he takes us down. If he gets sacked bets void.

deal 🤝

Done 🙏

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

What happened in the 2nd half was no surprise.  Alarm bells were ringing when I heard Elmohamady was preparing to come on.

Never been in a side that has  beaten Arsenal it was an omen. 

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

How many games through the season can you say that, before wondering if we're a bit shit.

"We played ok", "we were unlucky". When you constantly feel like you were unlucky, maybe it's not luck.

We're a 6th of the way through the season. It's becoming a significant amount of the way through the league. 6/38, and we have 4 points, after having a 1 man advantage for significant portions of 2 of those games. 

The suicide and the mistakes are "a bit shit" yes. The difference with now as opposed to the other times when we've been more than a bit shit, is that we finally appear to be able to play football. We played some one touch stuff out from the back against an extremely talented footballing side and looked great at times. Under the last manager at a lower level we rarely looked capable of passing to each other. 

I didn't say anything about luck, I said we made some howlers at the back and against the manager's instructions we sat far too deep with 15 mins left winning 2-1. The Engels challenge for the pen was unnecessary he just had to shadow him until he ran into Mings, but I think he genuinely thought he could nick the ball. The Mings header for their second is a horrible mistake, even if he'd got it right it was a **** terrible thing to do to the fullback with a man on him, should have gone for a corner. Then the challenge for the free kick for their third was a gift, no need and even if it was harsh they give those at this level all the time. Free kick itself was special so hands up there but it should have been a consolation not the winner.

That  is why I'm positive, we are competitive against very good teams, we don't need to panic. I don't mind if we get relegated as long as we're continuing to build something for the future and we keep going out every week to win and play football the right way. The target this season is 17th, we actually look capable of achieving it if you ask me. The fact we are disappointed about throwing the game away away at the Emirates instead of trying to shrug off a 5-0 pasting to me is a positive. 

• Like 1

I expected us to lose but having it snatched away hurts more than just getting a pasting

We are still a new team, so I expect things like this to happen especially away at the big clubs. I still think we wil be okay, Smith teams tend to go winning streaks ..as well as winless ones.

We aren't a poor team, we are just naive and it's costing us at the moment. We've been in every game we played and we've had good spells in all of them, it's just we lack that Premier League experience and our ' young and hungry ' meant we didn't bring anyone in who had that much.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Anyone looking at that game and thinking ‘well, I thought we were going to get beat 3-nil so it’s not the end of the world’ and thinking we’ll gel eventually, need to get with reality.

That loss is more painful that the Bournemouth/Palace ones for me. They were awful and there for the taking. Every time we went forward we could have scored were it not for some awful winger/striker play.

Context is everything and we’ve got 1 point from two teams who have had to play large parts of the match with ten men. Compare this to the teams around us like Sheff Utd/Norwich who are beating Man City and Everton on their home patch and it doesn’t make for good reading.

We’re poor and we’re naive. We have 4 points from however many and we have a tough run coming up. We may well find ourselves out of sight very quickly. 

It’s not all doom and gloom but the realist in me thinks we’re nailed on to go down. We keep blaming individual errors and the luck of the draw but teams that survive make their own luck and we just don’t seem to be doing that.

For me personally, we’ve recruited poorly in the summer. Our best players are the ones that were here last season - Grealish, McGinn, Mings. If you’d told me we’d spend 140m and we’d still be playing El Ghazi and Taylor id have laughed at you. We’re no better than last season and that’s a team that finished 5th in the championship.

Negative? Maybe. But we stink of a team that will get relegated. And it breaks my heart knowing that I’ll have to watch Grealish and McGinn play for another team when it happens.

Bit in bold is bollocks. 

They have defensive problems, but in no way you can say they were awful. We beat Everton too, and more convincingly than Sheffield United who won by two goals after having one shot on target. We are not poor, naive maybe, made some terrible mistakes but we a re not a poor side.

If we do go down that's fine, we will be fine, we can keep a good core of the team and build for a more sustainable attempt at the top league when not having a near 30 player turnover of a summer. We spent £140m because we needed to buy 12+ players. I'd say we are notably better than last season.

Negative? Yep, far too much so, I hope it's not catching.

• Like 2

Painful ending.

First half in my opinion was the best we have played all season.Mings had a free header to make it 2-0 and that miss has cost us.

Second half we sat back too much and individual errors from defenders have led to defeat.

They had a defender sent off but because we were hardly attacking they didn’t miss him.

We are struggling to close out games against the top sides hopefully with experience that will come.We need to be able to hold on to the ball in the final third to relieve pressure on the defence.

We need to give Smith time and avoid overreacting so early in the season.

• Like 3

Â