Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/19 at 22:59

Dull game that lacked any excitement or prolonged passages of good play. 

marvellous had a good full debut though and thought Gilbert is progressing nicely too. 

When we were last in the top flight, we'd have lost that game. 

A point is a point and against a fairly decent team too. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Wow, so much negativity and over reaction. FFS people, we are a work in progress and we gave West Ham a bloody good test, Heaton was not troubled all evening. 

Yes we have work to do, and we lost the plot a bit after the sending off, we misplaced a lot of passes but these players have played 5 league games together and more than held their own against an established top half team. We had by far the better chances and on another day could have won that by a couple of goals.

It saddens me to see our fans tearing into our own players after a game. FFS get behind the team. This is a season of transition and we have a lot of work to do, but anyone would think we had just lost to Accrington Stanley.

We are looking like transiting back to the Championship if anything.

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Wow, so much negativity and over reaction. FFS people, we are a work in progress and we gave West Ham a bloody good test, Heaton was not troubled all evening. 

Yes we have work to do, and we lost the plot a bit after the sending off, we misplaced a lot of passes but these players have played 5 league games together and more than held their own against an established top half team. We had by far the better chances and on another day could have won that by a couple of goals.

It saddens me to see our fans tearing into our own players after a game. FFS get behind the team. This is a season of transition and we have a lot of work to do, but anyone would think we had just lost to Accrington Stanley.

If we treat this as a season of transition we're going down. Chelsea are having a season in transition...we need performances and results

Defensively I agree we're solid but we're toothless going forward

• Like 2

Positives, I thought Nakamba gave our midfield some much needed balance.

I thought McGinn did ok also and our defence was solid. But the rest of the team was poor.

Grealish saw more of the ball than he has in any game, just a shame he couldn't do anything of note with it.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Agreed, we are a team in transition and that we shouldn't write them off yet, but I don't think anyone is. The praise for our fight is merited, but so is the criticism of our lack of quality.

In fact, fight is just the minimum requirement...it won't be enough to keep us up, if we don't improve. Reckon we will? If so, why?

I thought our passing was shockingly bad today. Poor decisions and wrong weight far too often. Makes it too hard to break down defenses and create quality opportunities.

It’s hard for me to call Wesley shite, I think he suffers from a lack of creativity from many of our other players. He links up well with Jota, but Jota either doesn’t want to run or can’t. Overall our attack is very concerning. If we can’t start creating more for Wesley and capitalizing on our (few) opportunities we are in big trouble. 

Overall it’s a point, which gets us out of the bottom 3, but this one felt like a loss. We were thoroughly outworked after the red card, and there is simply no excuse for that. Every post match thread I say I’m not concerned yet (and I’m still not), but we need to start seeing results soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We are looking like transiting back to the Championship if anything.

We're not transiting back to the Championship.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

If we treat this as a season of transition we're going down. Chelsea are having a season in transition...we need performances and results

Defensively I agree we're solid but we're toothless going forward

Seriously, you are comparing Chelsea's challenges this season to ours? Behave.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Positives, I thought Nakamba gave our midfield some much needed balance.

I thought McGinn did ok also and our defence was solid. But the rest of the team was poor.

Grealish saw more of the ball than he has in any game, just a shame he couldn't do anything of note with it.

Agree apart from the Grealish comment, he made the best chance in the first half and made the run to miss out on the best chance of the second. He carried the ball for us really well at times as did McGinn. He made unforced errors, but so did everyone apart from Heaton. Even Engels gave Guilbert a proper hospital ball first half.

• Like 1

My only criticism is we looked poor down the LHS. Taylor was limited and EAG looked limited too. We just need more options in attack.

Just to nail my colours to,the mast, Jack, McG did well, they are our engine. Wes did well but was starved, the set up isn’t working it’s not Wes.

Â