Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/19 at 22:59

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If a summer where you shed 15+ players and have to replace them whilst stepping up a league in quality is not a transition, then someone should explain to me what one is. It would be hard to imagine more upheaval and change than we were forced into by the dicktards that were running the club previously, transition is change, we are probably the most changed squad in the league. Managing that change and picking up points is a tough ask, we're doing ok.

This, I don't think people understand how much we have achieved in such a short time and how much of an achievement staying up (which i thknk we will do) will be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Defence and midfield were good today, best we've been more or less. It's the attack that was poor and that needs work on. We need to score goals and all three are new to the league and looking like it. 

This was pretty much my thoughts. We look ok at the back and across the middle. We look really light up top which is a worry. Wes looks like he'll need some time to settle in, and beyond him almost nothing. Its worrying.

A point at home to a midtable team should never be a 'good point' especially when they played a quarter of the match with ten men. Have to face reality at some point, can't hide forever in the happy place of the euphoria of the play-off win, that's gone now, people are allowed to hope for a win, no matter who we're playing, and feel disappointed if that win doesn't come about, no point in pretending everything is amazing, otherwise before you know it we'll be cut adrift in the place they call the relegation zone with no way of getting out.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Agree apart from the Grealish comment, he made the best chance in the first half and made the run to miss out on the best chance of the second. He carried the ball for us really well at times as did McGinn. He made unforced errors, but so did everyone apart from Heaton. Even Engels gave Guilbert a proper hospital ball first half.

I think Grealish's success or failure in any game comes from what's happening around him more often than not. He's a link guy, it's no surprise he's looked amazing when in a team where there are always options around him and runners. At the moment he gets on the ball in the final third and nothing is there for him, so he ends up holding it for too long. He created our best openings today, but his final pass went away in the second half. The answer isn't dropping Jack for a game, it's sorting out the front 3/other attacking players so Jack has options.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Who’d have thought we’d need another winger and striker in the summer. 

And yet people were complaining we bought too many players already.

I have seen Maupay and Benrahma mentioned, there is no guarantee those two would have adjusted to an entirely new team in this league within 5 games either!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Not meltdown time just yet, but we looks so dull going forward.

Dull and slow. So slow. Pretty much every time we broke forward trying to counter, there was some **** just coming to a stop with no idea what to do. Usually Jota. There's no creativity at all. 

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Meant Davis.

oh, well yeah i think he was brought on waaay to late, although not sure he would have made any difference if on earlier.

not signing a second striker could really cost us. Not sure why we didn't sign Maupay

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Grealish workrate was phenomenal. If he wasnt on the pitch tonight I think we'd have lost

He did work very hard, and he's suffering for it. The amount of times he had to come right to the back 4 to get them out of trouble. 

He has to be over every inch of the pitch at the moment. Still hard to forgive the amount of wasted chances going forward though, he lost it far too easily far too often tonight. 

• Like 1

Grealish and Wesley were both very poor. And we badly need a good left back, Taylor is completely one dimensional.

An unbelievable number of miss hit passes and so much bad decision making.

If they had kept 11 men on the pitch I think they would have won that.

It is early days, but I think we will be need to be spending big money in the January window to keep us up.

I am not too worried yet, but the next number of games will give us an indication of whether we can improve, which we certainly need to do.

Thought Nakamba looked good, takes a more forward position than Louis. Engles strong as was Guilbert. 

We need to believe in ourselves and that we belong in this league. On occasions we were running back as a team to take up our positions forgetting to challenge the player with the ball. Can’t do that at this level. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agreed, we are a team in transition and that we shouldn't write them off yet, but I don't think anyone is. The praise for our fight is merited, but so is the criticism of our lack of quality.

In fact, fight is just the minimum requirement...it won't be enough to keep us up, if we don't improve. Reckon we will? If so, why?

Criticism is fine but our players are being torn apart in here tonight by our own fans. Expectations are far too high. This is going to be a rocky season with lots of ups and downs.

Do I think we will improve? Yes of course I do. I have seen enough in the games we have played to see we have good players all over the pitch. They have played 5 competitive games together and need time to gell. They will get better the more they play together. Most of these players have not played in this league before and are still adjusting to it. Time and patience is needed. Plus we will plug gaps in Jan.

Edited by TheStagMan

Â