Cameron Archer

Zatman

17 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

He really has burst onto the scene. Delighted we signed him up to a long term contract recently. Is he a Villa fan?

He's been on Villa book since 7 or 8 I believe. 

He is literally the exact type of striker we need, we still need him to prove himself a quality operator at Premier league level. But he can get in  behind, work the channels, drop off and link up, good touch and movement, good finisher.  I really hope he can be our main striker for the next 12 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Seen comparisons made to Ian Wright - not a bad shout!

I saw one this morning to defoe which I wouldn't mind but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate, I'll be harsh on defoe here and say he smashed the ball goalwards a lot of the time, he did have accuracy but he had more power and I'm not sure archer is that 

I suspect he will be given a chance next season then maybe a loan in Jan unless he gets a decent loan to somewhere like Rangers. He looks like he is developing really well, he is lethal. We could have our answer right in front of us!

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I do love our fans (not aimed at you at all, but you mentioned the goals scored).

Archer (7 in 20) gets rave reviews from Preston fans, “knows where the goal is” and is an exciting player. Davis (5 in 15) gets rave reviews from Forest fans and was a key cog in their promotion, “doesn’t score enough, isn’t a PL player” and we want to move him on :D 

I love our fans too. Davis has scored 1 PL goal in 34 appearances (admittedly a lot were off the bench). Goes on loan, has a few decent performances until he's inevitably injured (yet again) and some Villa fans think he's morphed into Sadio Mane mk2. Archer will have more PL goals by bonfire night if we keep him with us next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I saw one this morning to defoe which I wouldn't mind but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate, I'll be harsh on defoe here and say he smashed the ball goalwards a lot of the time, he did have accuracy but he had more power and I'm not sure archer is that 

Yes i totally get that. 90 percent of Archers shots are drilled and placed with unerring accuracy .  He reminds me more of dare i say it Danny Ings .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Btw. I'd say his Championship record doesn't stand out especially. Especially with what's a fairly small sample size, we probably wouldn't take any notice of his record alone. Yes he's only 20 but you'd need to score better than 7 in 20 to impress people on here ;)

What does stand out however is the reports about his performances and general ability from Preston fans, they are glowing.

Exciting player.

He could score 20 in 7 and still not impress some on here !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

I love our fans too. Davis has scored 1 PL goal in 34 appearances (admittedly a lot were off the bench). Goes on loan, has a few decent performances until he's inevitably injured (yet again) and some Villa fans think he's morphed into Sadio Mane mk2. Archer will have more PL goals by bonfire night if we keep him with us next season.

Go find me a post saying Davis should start and is like Sadio Mane.

(Psssst… you won’t be able to!)

• Like 2

Really think SG should grab him at the start of the season and tell him he has a starting berth for the 1st 6 games at least. It's what Gregory did with Vassell when he broke through and it did him the world of good 

I would sell one of Watkins or Ings, sign another striker and use Archer as a 3rd choice to start with, but challenging for a first team spot.

Only because I just don’t see us pushing on with Watkins and Ings, and if Archer takes time to settle to the PL, we could struggle to get to where we want to go next season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TRO said:

We have to trust our instincts......but he looks special to me, we can't keep dithering and sitting on the fence.....he showed his class against Chelsea, sure one swallow doesn't make a summer, but he keeps following it up, in any games thrown at him.

He has to be given a chance.

Agreed. Just a few weeks back I was loan him out camp. Get him regular games but chuck him in next season.

I know international football isn't a huge standard often in group stages but every time this kid gets given a chance or a new stage he snaps it up.

Put him in. Let's see what he can do.

• Like 2

Archer has really "burst onto the scene" in a season. Lets be honest 99% of us on here didn't even know who Cameron Archer was before the Barrow game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He reminds me so much of a young Jermain Defoe...  His movement, speed, and finishing from all over the pitch...  

Just had a look at Defoe's career, and for someone who I held up there as an elite striker its amazing that he never had a season above 18 league goals. Very surprising. 

Having said that, I would be delighted if Cameron gets to his level!

I think we need to pump the breaks a little here. I hope he gets the chance to impress however many have looked good at this level only to fail to push on and become a premier league starter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

The buy back clause is only applicable to the club that sold him... Kind of the point. 

Oh god, it's the non existent option to buy thing all over again isn't it 🙄

Â