Cameron Archer

Zatman

On 06/08/2023 at 21:43, GingerCollins29 said:

How many PL mins has he had with us? Think we need to hold off selling/loaning him until he's had some actual gametime (competitive)

I agree. For all we know he might adapt quickly and step up to the level required. He’s done that in the championship with two teams, 18 goals in 40 games. Let’s see if he can do it in the premier league (and cups). Watkins scored 45 in 132 in the championship, and he did alright. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are you starting him ahead of Watkins then? 

Not in the PL but outside of that against so called lower opposition yes and bring him on when PL games are considered won yes, how else can you give him match time?

I hope he does get opportunities this season and if he does he has to make sure he sezies them. Imo he has all the attributes to make it here. I don't want him to be another Adam Armstrong who bags loads in the championship and then struggles in the premier league, Archer to me seems to have enough about him to succeed in the premier league but will have to make sure he makes himself indispensable

Watkins cannot physically start and play in the 50+ matches Villa will have this season.  Archer will start and play in likely 15+ matches this season.  Not to mention coming off the bench in numerous more.  Archer will feature in the cups (league and FA) plus many of the EUCL matches.  Watkins will primarily play Premier League and the vital EUCL/cup matches.  He will have plenty of opportunities to play and get regular football here at Villa.

This answer seems so obvious to me.  I don't understand why people keep bringing this up.  If UE was at all concerned about this we would have already brought in WF/ST options in this window- and Archer would be on a loan spell or sold.  In the US tour he was dangerous at times and had some good scoring chances against Premier League sides.  Against lesser teams in the cups and EUCL he will find it much easier and scoring for fun.

UTV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all the 10 mins of added time per half now. There are going to be a lot of minutes up for grabs. Watkins has averaged a little over 3000 mins per season for us. So lets say he does 3200 this season. We'll assume 100 mins per game (conservative estimate) and say we play 56 games this season

So there are 5600 mins up for grabs in the CF position. So 2400 available if Watkins plays as much as he has done in recent years. So 24 full games available. Also Archer might get time on as a second striker potentially as he has decent link play. So realistically he'll play a part in 30+ games.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

Watkins cannot physically start and play in the 50+ matches Villa will have this season.  Archer will start and play in likely 15+ matches this season.  Not to mention coming off the bench in numerous more.  Archer will feature in the cups (league and FA) plus many of the EUCL matches.  Watkins will primarily play Premier League and the vital EUCL/cup matches.  He will have plenty of opportunities to play and get regular football here at Villa.

This answer seems so obvious to me.  I don't understand why people keep bringing this up.  If UE was at all concerned about this we would have already brought in WF/ST options in this window- and Archer would be on a loan spell or sold.  In the US tour he was dangerous at times and had some good scoring chances against Premier League sides.  Against lesser teams in the cups and EUCL he will find it much easier and scoring for fun.

UTV

Right. He'll be playing the same amount of football as he did last year, but crucially this time, for Villa. In a European competition as well. This is going way better than anyone, including Cam expected even 2 years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Not surprising we are looking at the same type of arrangement with Archer as we are doing with A.Ramsey. 

Well it is quite surprising given the lack of depth in striker position. New striker incoming?

3 hours ago, ejs1111 said:

UTV

I was just about to say near enough the same but you've already done that with this post, It's spot on.

It's great to see he is staying? and what a great chance to prove himself this season if he does. I think he is going to keep Watkins on his toes.

Unless Unai has another ace up his sleeve?

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

Â