Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Not sure he does rate him. If he did, surely he would not have sent him out on loan and left us so short up front.

How on earth does that mean he doesn't rate him? Because of how Steven had misused him, Archer was desperate for minutes, and Emery granted him that. He's even said that more of less.

Look at the improvement in Watkins working for half a season under Emery and imagine Archer having the same improvement next season. That's some player he could be.

I

• Like 1

I see us buying another senior striker this summer to push/rotate out with Watkins, someone like Thuram or Dembele, but we'll need a 3rd in the squad and I think that one will either be Archer or Duran, with the other going out on loan again.  Preseason with Emery will dictate who will all end up where.

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

They never work? How many actually put them in place? If we were regularly qualifying for Europe, and we could guarantee him proper minutes, I'm sure he'd take that over being in a relegation battle.

Hardly any because they don't work... 

The Duran signing complicates things. 

If we were to sign an experienced backup/competition for Ollie we’d probably all be chuffed if we signed a young hotshot ripping up the championship as the 3rd striker. But that’s the role probably earmarked for Duran. 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would rather Archer as backup to Watkins next season with the new striker being more of a support striker 

Same. And possibly loan out Duran this time 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

He would be one of the top scorers in the Championship. Unfortunately, with where we are going, we need top 8 PL strikers and we have no idea how close to that he can be. 

He's definitely no Keinan Davis and knows how to score in the 2nd tier. That's for sure.

We still need to buy a top striker though.

But imagine a fit Davies and Archer upfront that could fire Championship fodder to The Prem.

Both our players still and its a decision that The Don will have in hand.

Money in the bank our a Villa future pre  season will decide.

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would rather Archer as backup to Watkins next season with the new striker being more of a support striker 

id rather we bought 1 if not 2 goal scoring wingers / attacking midfielders

danny ings is till our 2nd top scorer in the PL, buendia has 5, luiz 4, ramsey 4, bailey 4

thats what you improve, watkins getting 15 a year is fine if the supporting cast actually chip in with some too

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

id rather we bought 1 if not 2 goal scoring wingers / attacking midfielders

danny ings is till our 2nd top scorer in the PL, buendia has 5, luiz 4, ramsey 4, bailey 4

thats what you improve, watkins getting 15 a year is fine if the supporting cast actually chip in with some too

I think there isn't room for two young Strikers in Archer and Duran next season without Europe. We will sign two attacking players, one who is more of a versatile forward who can play centrally in place of Watkins or can play with him and drop deeper from the front line. With Bailey + new Winger. We'll have attacking options.

I feel in that situation, with Buendia capable of playing off a Striker too we'll need to send Archer or Duran out on loan. Duran is 19 and doesn't turn 20 until December! So maybe we keep Archer around this time.

I think Emery will make that choice himself based on pre season

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think there isn't room for two young Strikers in Archer and Duran next season without Europe. We will sign two attacking players, one who is more of a versatile forward who can play centrally in place of Watkins or can play with him and drop deeper from the front line. With Bailey + new Winger. We'll have attacking options.

I feel in that situation, with Buendia capable of playing off a Striker too we'll need to send Archer or Duran out on loan. Duran is 19 and doesn't turn 20 until December! So maybe we keep Archer around this time.

I think Emery will make that choice himself based on pre season

Well there's your problem 😉

• Like 1

Archer actually would be a great signing for Burnley or even a loan deal to them. There's no point loaning him out to a championship side as he has nothing to prove at that level. But if he rips the premier league up for a promoted team then that would be a good thing 

With Duran it would be interesting to see where is is after a pre season with us. 

Edited by PaulC

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

The people saying Archer should be with us next year are the same people who’ll throw a hissy if we don’t sign a new striker. 

Not me, however...

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I agree, perhaps someone with experience. I'm not saying sign Radamel Falcao but someone like him but a little younger with perhaps one season left at the top level?

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So what do you think Archer would prefer?

I don’t think with his momentum and the trajectory of where his career is at right now, he’ll want to get 10-15 mins at Villa next season, even if it’s every match. Watkins is Emery’s man at the minute. Archer would start easily for a handful of premier league clubs next season. We don’t necessarily have to have Boro going up to loan him there. Many clubs would take him. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This could have Cahil vibes about it. 

The timing isn't great with our ambitions and a young players need for playing time. 

Let's hope we get Europe, plenty of games for them in the cups.

12 hours ago, Ponky said:

Look at the improvement in Watkins working for half a season under Emery and imagine Archer having the same improvement next season. That's some player he could be.

I

Interested to see how much he works with youth. He's only really given JJ a chance so far. Most of them are on loan but it's interesting to me we've had 2 GKs on the bench since January and still loaned out AJ and Archer again and KKH hasn't popped up on a bench appearance 

At Villareal, there's quite a lot of late 20's and early 30's players. Which made me a bit concerned from a youth development position, Villareal have a good youth setup but still have an average age of 28.4, and that's reduced by their Attacking players averaging 25 (Def 29, Mid 29.8)..

Though, tbf Emery did promote some youth in his 2 years there.

•  Yeremy Pino (who had turned down Barca to join Villareal C before Unai joined) moved into the 1st team in his first pre-season
  • Nicolas Jackson was promoted to 1st team in August, but made limited chances before Unai joined us.
  • Alex Baena, promoted to 1st team at same time as Jackson, though has made more of a mark on the squad, though again, limited under Emery as he left.

Probably can't give Unai credit for Chukweze as he'd been part of the first team for 2 years before hand, but (despite differences in position) probably the closest to JJ as similar stories, 2 years amongst the first team but hopefully we'll see him really develop under Unai over next few years

Â