Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I agree with this, we do always have to be looking at the weak links and we have a fair few knocking around with which we could replace and buy much much better now.

The club has to be looking out for itself. let's face it it is a good job that many around here are not Owners of Villa, they would of kept many fan favs here till they were OAPs and had us kicking balls in the non leagues.

As a club Villa has to be always on the lookout for the next player or players who can propel us in an upward trajectory not downward.

I think Summer may see us sell, release players like Nakamba, Ghazi, Trezegeut, Davis and some others, Yes I can understand peoples love for them. As a Owner you have to separate feelings and be ruthless if need be, you cant keep everyone around forever and you certainly cant keep the players who are not bringing there A game as often as possible, not in this league anyway.

Agree long term these players need replacing, however not sure it will happen over one window can't see us spending like we have the last two summer windows again. I think those players who are at the end of there contracts will be replaced in the summer probably with young 'prospects' although the Sanson signing kind of goes against the so called Dortmund model we were supposedly going to follow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Agree long term these players need replacing, however not sure it will happen over one window can't see us spending like we have the last two summer windows again. I think those players who are at the end of there contracts will be replaced in the summer probably with young 'prospects' although the Sanson signing kind of goes against the so called Dortmund model we were supposedly going to follow.

Not sure I'd say anything about what we've been doing is similar to what Dortmund have been doing/is doing tbh but I guess there is the Paul Lambert connection :D 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Agree long term these players need replacing, however not sure it will happen over one window can't see us spending like we have the last two summer windows again.

It's quite easy in today's modern game to spend big amounts of money.

If we finish in the top 6 this year I wouldn't bet against us spending another £100m+ next season in strengthening the squad even further.

Being in 4 competitions would be great. Having a large healthy squad full of quality players to cope with these competitions to progress in them would be even better and that costs money.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's quite easy in today's modern game to spend big amounts of money.

If we finish in the top 6 this year I wouldn't bet against us spending another £100m+ next season in strengthening the squad even further.

Being in 4 competitions would be great. Having a large healthy squad full of quality players to cope with these competitions to progress in them would be even better and that costs money.

We won't finish top 6.

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

We will need to spend over £100m in the summer again to ensure we have a squad strong enough to compete for the top 6 next season.

Think we'll need that to be able to compete for the top-10

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We will need to spend over £100m in the summer again to ensure we have a squad strong enough to compete for the top 6 next season.

Definately.

It's a bit of a double edged sword, we don't have a strong enough squad to play Europa League football, but need Europa League football to attract quality players. Guess this is where the recruitment team earn there money.

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Definately.

It's a bit of a double edged sword, we don't have a strong enough squad to play Europa League football, but need Europa League football to attract quality players. Guess this is where the recruitment team earn there money.

Yes. I think if we manage to qualify for Europa league we would definately need to shell out some decent money to attract the types of player we would need.

I don't think our owners would stop there either.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 17:01, WooJung said:

To an extent I want our defenders to play the ball and keep possession, and Deano wants that too. Mings needs to get much better at reading situations and learning when to play it and when to hoof it. 

I’d agree with this. The imperious Macca despite his immense talent knew when it was time to go to row Z. In fact his reading of the game was his greatest strength of which there were many. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I hope we don't sell him, unless we line up a better version.

The club seem to be shrewd enough in this regard these days. I can’t think of one player let go since we came up that hasn’t been replaced by better or that better replacement already here. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree with this. The imperious Macca despite his immense talent knew when it was time to go to row Z. In fact his reading of the game was his greatest strength of which there were many. 

If we’re going to compare all our CB’s to him then we’re in for a looooong wait until we find one as good.
What is it? 25 years since he was here and there hasn’t been one as good in that time. 

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

If we’re going to compare all our CB’s to him then we’re in for a looooong wait until we find one as good.
What is it? 25 years since he was here and there hasn’t been one as good in that time. 

I’m not comparing Mings to Macca or anyone else really. My point is if Macca occasionally put his laces through the ball to clear the lines it is perfectly reasonable for anyone else to do the same when required. The fact that he was so good at reading the game I can only dream of being the benchmark for any of our players now or in the future. 

Konsa mentioned watching videos of him to learn from in a recent interview. He’s definitely someone our players can learn from and try to emulate. However my and anyone else’s actual expectations aren’t or shouldn’t be really that high. 

Jack could justifiably claim to be as talented and as influential in games. But as in the case of Paul McGrath his talent comes once in a generation. I’d still say Jack could learn from Mac in his reading of the game but both are superb talents. Imagine them in the same team. 

Sorry I’m way of topic. Marvelous is a decent squad player but not as good as the gentlemen mentioned above. 🙂

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yep.

Not sure why we wouldn't be spending that sum again to ensure we build on our progression of this season.

Depends on the owners. They have been brilliant so far but eventually they will want a return on investment.  They are businessman at heart. Do they see Villa as a solid mid ranking side like a Southampton or Wolves or do they really want us to be competing for the top 6 and trophies? That will take further hundreds of millions. And yes I know the danger of settling for mid table could result in regression or even possibly relegation but just saying.

Ngl I'm a massive John mcginn fan (not the one of late) and prob have been on of nakambas biggest critics..

But the last two especially after the game nakamba did play, I feel so bad for nakamba and feel we'd of been a much better with him than mcginn for the last 2 by a long way.

For me if sansom ain't quite prem fit yet, nakamba deserves that shirt and mcginn needs to be benched

• Like 1

Â