Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

Its always encouraging to see players find form......He played a very competent game on Saturday.....I am pleased for him and another player that we are not afraid to bring in....

He offers a more durable contribution when he is in this form.

I don't want to sound negative, he played well and deserves praise for it. 

Here comes the "but". 

I still get nervous when he receives the ball, he very often looks uncomfortable on it, it looks like his muscles tense up, and playing against sides who press high up the pitch (most sides in the league) he is number one candidate to give the ball away in a bad area. 

I don't think a good game suggests a trend and I suspect we might look to improve on him in the summer. I like the bloke and hope i'm wrong, but I haven't seen enough to be optimistic and feel that against better opposition his limitations on the ball would have shown much more. His tackling and defensive positioning are good though 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

Another one that has improved through excellent coaching and clearly has the raw talent. Starting to think Suso was harshly treated... what do we know really 

I believe it was actually Smith who spotted Marvelous when they were scouting Wesley.

I agree, though, that Suso didn't do a terrible job. I suspect what caught Purslow, Suso and Smith out last season was the surprisingly good performance of a few teams who looked terrible on paper - Shef Utd especially, but also Newcastle and Burnley. So suddenly our "long term plan" looked like a huge mistake, because we got sucked into a relegation dogfight.

Now that we've survived, most of those signings are starting to look like decent value.

4 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Here comes the "but". 

I still get nervous when he receives the ball, he very often looks uncomfortable on it, it looks like his muscles tense up, and playing against sides who press high up the pitch (most sides in the league) he is number one candidate to give the ball away in a bad area. 

I don't think a good game suggests a trend and I suspect we might look to improve on him in the summer. I like the bloke and hope i'm wrong, but I haven't seen enough to be optimistic and feel that against better opposition his limitations on the ball would have shown much more. His tackling and defensive positioning are good though 

Yeah I think this is fair. Also worth noting that Newcastle have made most opposition players look good this season.

But still, with the attacking quality we now have, Marvelous makes more sense in the setup. He can do what he does best, which is running around smashing people, covering other players when they push forward, etc. And I do think his passing is cleaner now. Last season he'd often scuff it, bobbly hospital passes that looked more like Sunday League, but he seems to have improved on that.

5 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Here comes the "but". 

For me its the quality of the opposition. Newcastle gave us all the time in the world to play. If he had played against Man City it could have been a different story. They were constantly at us and I think he might have struggled. So not convinced yet.  

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hope not.

We need him in case Luiz gets injured or suspended

Depends how much they are willing to spend on him. If it is 15-20mil then we could probably get a replacement player with more potential for that cost. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Depends how much they are willing to spend on him. If it is 15-20mil then we could probably get a replacement player with more potential for that cost. 

Destroyers is a rare breed.

We've got a decent one in Nakamba. I'd be very reluclant getting rid of him. I consider him a very valuable player for us.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Destroyers is a rare breed.

We've got a decent one in Nakamba. I'd be very reluclant getting rid of him. I consider him a very valuable player for us.

I too don't want him to leave......we have to build a squad.

Tactics can be implemented better, when we have options.

32 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah I agree.  If we could get a replacement with a potential higher ceiling for the same price, then it’s probably worth selling.  Otherwise, decent squad player.

If the club got a decent offer for him they should consider selling if the player wants to leave. I like him and I think he has done well this season when he has had to play. But both games have been against teams that sit off you meaning he has had a lot of space. Against better teams that press he struggles. He needs longer on the ball then better teams allow.

5 hours ago, Villa87 said:

I like Nakamba. I think given a proper run in this new look Villa side he would improve. 

Agreed, he showed really good signs. It is only one match and it was against Newcastle, so he might still be solidly found out by better teams. Though on the other side, he can only play against the team in front of him, and after a long absence he should be allowed for some rustiness as much as someone like Ross Barkley. He will need to repeat and further improve, but stats so far indicate a damn promising future for him, I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

He came in was reliable and kept it simple. If he can do that everytime he is called upon there's no reason to sell. 

I agree. A limited player but capable of tidying up and complements the more skillful players. When we have more players who can do that and more, move him on. Not yet.

16 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I very much doubt Valencia have that kind of money to spend right now. 

16 hours ago, sne said:

Linked with Valencia as an alternative if they can't get Lucas Torreira

Have they been scratching around the back of the sofa? I thought that they were broke.

Â