Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

All sounds a bit odd doesn't it? Fit to play but the manager told her to stay away due to an 'incident' yesterday. She still turned up to watch the game. 

Sounds very odd to me. Fisticuffs? Strong difference of opinion? Hampton refusing to sit on the bench? 🤔 

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Two flukey wins to start the season and back to reality? Hard to see where another win could come from at the moment. Same for the men’s side really! Rotten mindsets at the club. 

What absolute rubbish. The win over Man City was not a fluke. Where you at the game yesterday or relying on highlights or even just the score line? It was  a very good game in which the team battled from start to finish. The opposition were strong and took their chances, but there was absolutely no evidence whatsoever  of ‘ rotten mindsets’ from Villa players on that pitch.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, smg said:

What absolute rubbish. The win over Man City was not a fluke. Where you at the game yesterday or relying on highlights or even just the score line? It was  a very good game in which the team battled from start to finish. The opposition were strong and took their chances, but there was absolutely no evidence whatsoever  of ‘ rotten mindsets’ from Villa players on that pitch.

It’s still three defeats in a row, which isn’t great whichever way you look at it. 

48 minutes ago, smg said:

Totally agree. I’ve watched every game so far this season and we’ve played some lovely football.  Been unlucky with a couple of goals against and we’ve been unfortunate not to score a couple more.  Rotten mindsets is just nonsense. 

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree. I’ve watched every game so far this season and we’ve played some lovely football.  Been unlucky with a couple of goals against and we’ve been unfortunate not to score a couple more.  Rotten mindsets is just nonsense. 

That should see is secure a decent finishing spot then - being unfortunate and unlucky for three games in a row, whilst conceding a bunch. 

11 hours ago, Tayls said:

Two flukey wins to start the season and back to reality? Hard to see where another win could come from at the moment. Same for the men’s side really! Rotten mindsets at the club. 

The gap in the women's game is utterly insane, to be fair.  As an example, Chelsea have lost 6 league games since the start of the 2017/18 season.  In the same timeframe, the top 3 have always been Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal (and Man Utd have finished 4th each season since their promotion).  Villa's results are largely in line with what you'd expect; beating Man City was a big win but losing to both Everton and West Ham (very similar clubs) negated that win.

I don't think it's a case of there being a "rotten mindset" within the team at all.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The gap in the women's game is utterly insane, to be fair.  As an example, Chelsea have lost 6 league games since the start of the 2017/18 season.  In the same timeframe, the top 3 have always been Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal (and Man Utd have finished 4th each season since their promotion).  Villa's results are largely in line with what you'd expect; beating Man City was a big win but losing to both Everton and West Ham (very similar clubs) negated that win.

I don't think it's a case of there being a "rotten mindset" within the team at all.

Personally I think the rotten mindset runs throughout the club. I’m fed up of seeing defeats right across the board - Mens, womens, PL2, it’s defeat after defeat. Our mentality sucks - where are the winners? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Losing to West Ham and Everton is disappointing but the past two seasons we've been one of the worst teams in the league, we aren't going to suddenly go from being one of the favorites to go down to a team that has some sort of right to be beating established midtable teams like those two, we're still going to be susceptible to losing games like that and sometimes we will go on losing runs as well, as will be the case for all teams outside the top three or four.

Also Man City win very important, I don't think I'd swap that for six points from West Ham and Everton, as it showed the players that they can compete against very good sides and the believe from a result like that might be worth more in the long run than if we'd have lost to Man City and won the other two, it might have been what helped them get a good draw against Man Utd and then the penalty win.

The club's aim for the season is to finish top eight, which is still well within reach, Carla Ward's personal aim is top six, which will be difficult but that's still within reach as well, and I wouldn't completely rule it out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, est1874 said:

So what do we think happened with Hannah Hampton then?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/31/hannah-hampton-dropped-by-england-over-attitude-euros-winner-aston-villa?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1667215494

Bizarre one. Always has come across well in interviews 

Euros winner Hannah Hampton dropped by England over attitude

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Shocking really. She sounds like she’s screwing up her career.

Edited by WallisFrizz

Seems strange, always seems to come across as good natured from what I've seen of her in interviews, on social media, and from what people have posted and said about meeting her. If she's playing up in some way maybe there's more to it than just her having an attitude problem, could be something else going on with her.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Jeez. Shocking tbh.

Obviously not wise to speculate but there's got to be something else behind the behaviour than just a bad egg, as others have said she's always come across well.

On 31/10/2022 at 12:40, est1874 said:

Jeez. Shocking tbh.

Obviously not wise to speculate but there's got to be something else behind the behaviour than just a bad egg, as others have said she's always come across well.

She has just posted a message on her story on Instagram. She says she has been suffering a short while with a medical problem, and has had a small procedure to sort it out. Words to that effect, I am not sure how to link to that.

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

She has just posted a message on her story on Instagram. She says she has been suffering a short while with a medical problem, and has had a small procedure to sort it out. Words to that effect, I am not sure how to link to that.

Thanks for the heads up, I've just gone to her Instagram to read that. 

So that's part of the story but doesn't explain the reports from Guardian of her being dropped by England due to poor attitude, and doesn't really match Carla Ward's comments from weekend thinly veiled but suggesting similar. "Something happened yesterday" were literally her words, what's that mean? I suppose it could refer to an injury of some sort but the way she phrased it overall wouldn't make sense then. Hampton was left home "for the good of the squad".

Really strange one ......

17 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Thanks for the heads up, I've just gone to her Instagram to read that. 

So that's part of the story but doesn't explain the reports from Guardian of her being dropped by England due to poor attitude, and doesn't really match Carla Ward's comments from weekend thinly veiled but suggesting similar. "Something happened yesterday" were literally her words, what's that mean? I suppose it could refer to an injury of some sort but the way she phrased it overall wouldn't make sense then. Hampton was left home "for the good of the squad".

Really strange one ......

Yeah there’s bound to be more to it but maybe they are using a genuine underlying medical condition (that probably could have been managed ordinarily) to give her some time away from the spotlight to get her head straight. 

Â