Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

6 hours ago, useless said:

small heath keeper goes down with no one around her, there's lengthy stoppage then surprise surprise she gets back up and is fine, referee only gives two minutes of injury time. It's annoying that this kind of time wasting has become commonplace in the premier league, of course time wasting has always existed to an extent, but now is ridiculous, players constantly pretending to be injured to run the clock down, and now is creeping into the women's game, and also Newcastle's U23s were doing it against us last week in a game that didn't matter.

As for the game I haven't much confidence of us scoring, the pattern of play is similar to so many games this season, we dominate but just can't put the ball in the net, best chance of scoring is probably an own or if they give a penalty away or something.

I'd bring on another midfielder, either Arthur or McLoughlin and push Petzelberger into the front three, at least when she was playing in the front three a couple of games ago she was scoring goals.

But our mens goalkeeper is becoming a legend for his ‘ shithousery’, or time wasting or cheating, call it what you want, we can’t moan about other teams doing it and then be proud of our own when they do it surely

• Like 1

Who said I'm proud of us when we do it, it needs stamping out of the game all together, it ruins a lot of games as a spectacle, it used to be seen as something that anti football teams like Stoke do, and they would be heavily criticized for it, now it seems all sides do it. Teams do it because they know the amount of time wasted is never fully added on at the end of games, if referees started adding on all the time wasted then teams would stop doing it.

In the MK Dons v Wycome game for example, Wycombe have wasted way more than five minutes with players pretending to be injured and then making miraculous recovories, and taking an age to take throw ins, and corners, but five minutes is all the referee has added on at the end of the game, that's just like an extra minute or so of injury time than you would get in a normal game without loads of time wasting.

Edited by useless

57 minutes ago, useless said:

In the MK Dons v Wycome game for example, Wycombe have wasted way more than five minutes with players pretending to be injured and then making miraculous recovories, and taking an age to take throw ins, and corners, but five minutes is all the referee has added on at the end of the game, that's just like an extra minute or so of injury time than you would get in a normal game without loads of time wasting.

Nobody’s complaining if it keeps Milton Keynes at that level though 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems absolutely gutted with the defeat understandably. talks again about bringing in quality in the summer to improve us, which will be key for next season, if we don't sign the quality we won't improve, Corsie, Patten, and Scott all helped us play better football after arriving in January, but we need to add some quality attackers, and truth be told probably need to add more quality all over the pitch.

Edited by useless

Supporters' player of the season - Alisha Lehmann

Players' player of the season - Anita Asante

Young player of the season - Laura Blindkilde Brown

Goal of the season - Sarah Mayling, free-kick against Leicester

• Like 1

'Defender Anna Patten,who has played for the Gunners since the age of 12, is set to rejoin Aston Villa after she impressed on her short loan spell this season.'

'Forward Ivana Fuso could be allowed to leave United - she was close to joining Aston Villa on loan in January but may look for a permanent move away this summer. '

'Northern Ireland forward Simone Magill announced last week that she would be leaving Everton and has been linked with Aston Villa, who were in discussions to sign her last summer.'

'Brighton midfielder Emily Simpkins is another potential target for the Foxes along with Wales and Reading midfielder Natasha Harding, who has also attracted interest from the Seagulls and Villa.'

'Aston Villa are keen to bring back Manchester City's Jill Scott after her successful six-month loan spell with them, although Tottenham are among those who have renewed their interest in the England midfielder.'

BBC

Patten will be a good signing if we can get her back, very good at playing from the back and helped us become a much better footballing side when she joined in January, presumably would be a loan, but contracts in the women's game tend to quite short anyway, so I'm not sure it makes too much difference. Going for a few more players with a similar profile to her might be a good strategy for us, that is squad players struggling for game time at the more succesful teams but will still improve us.

Edited by useless

We need to at least double the goals next season. Was it 13 from 22 games? Awful! 

We seem to have talented players so not sure what the issue is. Are we not creating chances? Or not taking them?

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

We need to at least double the goals next season. Was it 13 from 22 games? Awful! 

We seem to have talented players so not sure what the issue is. Are we not creating chances? Or not taking them?

Playing with one striker most of the season (Emily Gielnik) and not much else in reserve left us badly short.  I don’t think Gielnik has worked out either from the games I watched, I really wasn’t impressed with her.

Carla Ward I’m sure will rectify this over the summer.

They create chances but miss so many opportunities, watching the games can feel like the only way we're going to score is if there's a tap in opportunity, or we get an own goal, or some other kind of goal where there's an element of luck involved, whenever we get a chance where it drops to a player ten yards out or whatever and they have to beat the keeper it never feels like they're going to score, I think some of it might be down to nerves.

We're the worst but outside of the top four, the other teams don't score many either, Spurs meant to be the best of the rest but they've only just about scored more goals than they've played matches, and when you look at the top twenty five individual scorers on the BBC website, all but two of them play for either Chelsea or Arsenal, or one of the two Manchester clubs.

Edited by useless

21 hours ago, useless said:

They create chances but miss so many opportunities, watching the games can feel like the only way we're going to score is if there's a tap in opportunity, or we get an own goal, or some other kind of goal where there's an element of luck involved, whenever we get a chance where it drops to a player ten yards out or whatever and they have to beat the keeper it never feels like they're going to score, I think some of it might be down to nerves.

We're the worst but outside of the top four, the other teams don't score many either, Spurs meant to be the best of the rest but they've only just about scored more goals than they've played matches, and when you look at the top twenty five individual scorers on the BBC website, all but two of them play for either Chelsea or Arsenal, or one of the two Manchester clubs.

That's mad.  23/25 top scores play for one of four teams. 

So 6 of their players (over half of their teams)  have scored more individually than virtually any other player from the rest of the league.

To what level of men's football is such dominance equivalent to? How long do we think it will take for the quality to level out?

Until that imbalance is resolved, it's not really a sport for over half the league.

It seems the top four hoard all the best players, I guess it comes down to money, we could presumably compete in that aspect, but maybe we want to grow it more gradually. Also because it's such a young sport there won't be as many top players to around, which is where I think our academy are doing very well will come in and help us compete better in the coming years.

This summer we will have to show some ambiton though, the likes Hannah Hampton, Sarah Mayling, Pacheo I've seen linked to or talked about as possible targets for top clubs recently, and Carla Ward's name always gets associated with the top clubs as well, so need to show we're moving forward to hang onto them and to attract others like them into the club.

Carla Ward said recently that her aim is top six next season, we will see, bringing Anna Patten and Jill Scott back will be a good start, and need to improve that attack as a priority.

• Thanks 1

To further ilustrate how the 'top four' hoard a a lot of the better players, looking at the provisional England squad for Euro 22, and of the twenty-eight players named, twenty-six of them play for either Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, or Man Utd, the only other clubs to have a player in the squad are us and Everton and they're both goalkeepers, so all the outfield players come from just four clubs.

One of those outfield players is Jil Scott who has announced that she's leaving Man City this summer, so we will have to see what happens with her.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange that Alisha has withdrawn herself from Switzerland 's Euro 22 squad, doesn't appear to be injured, quoted on the official website as saying she doesn't feel mentally ready for a European tournament.

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Strange that Alisha has withdrawn herself from Switzerland 's Euro 22 squad, doesn't appear to be injured, quoted on the official website as saying she doesn't feel mentally ready for a European tournament.

Probably feels mentally ready to go on holiday with Douglas Luiz for 6 weeks instead. 

Â