Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Beat Oxford 6-0 in their first friendly today, Evie Rabjohn, Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah, Mary McAteer, Maz Pacheco, Tash Harding and Olivia Rabjohn with the goals.

A lot of academy players involved, Rabjohn sisters and Mary McAteer as mentioned above, as well as Anna Draper, Megan Shaw, and Alice Keitley.

Report on OS

Edited by useless

Not even sure what this is exactly, think it might be similar to the England U15 training camps in mens/boys football, either way seems more evidence of our academy doing well...

Hard to predict how we're going to do next season, small heath relegated, Leicester have brought in a lot of players, Liverpool the promoted team will want to do whatever it takes to make sure they stay up, relegaton next season seems harder to predict, as no teams as bad as small heath, and Leiceter should be improved, based on that alone we could be in more danger of going down next season than we were last season.

But on the other hand, we've lost a lot of players, but most of them were players left over from our championship days and that's where they've gone back to play, they needed replacing, and we've done so with WSL players, that might not be big names as such, but have been midtable players in the WSL, which is where we're trying to get to, overall we've improved the squad with potentially more signings to come.

The one exception was Petzelberger who has gone to Spurs, but she wasn't so great that losing her feels like a big blow, before she had a good spell after the new year was seen as just another squad player, she's not a bad player by any means, but there are other players I would have been more disappointed to lose.

We've also brought in Coventry mens U23 manager and Burton's mens' Head of Academy, so we've brought in some high profile coaches, maybe they can make a big difference.

Pretty much feels like we could finish anywhere between twelfth and sxith, we showed promising signs last season when Patten, Corsie, and Jill Scott came into the team, completely changed the way we played, and we became much more of a possession based team, I think from January onwards only a few teams had more possession against us, our problem was scoring goals, which is the big thing we need to improve, whether it be via improving the current players, new signings, better coaching, or a mixture of all three.

• Like 1

Shows how much the top four dominate, hopefully we can hang on to Hampton, and if given a fair chance the likes of Mayling and Pacheco could potentially break into the set-up as well, and maybe some of the younger England Youth players we have further down the line.

• Like 3

FWIW I hadnt really followed the Women's game nor the Villa Women, but that Euro tournament and its success was awesome, really enjoyed and was impressed by the football and especially England. I thought the final was a terrific spectacle and they can be hugely proud. Incidentally my 10 year old daughter was loving it, she ripped her top off too when England scored the winner!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, useless said:

Shows how much the top four dominate, hopefully we can hang on to Hampton, and if given a fair chance the likes of Mayling and Pacheco could potentially break into the set-up as well, and maybe some of the younger England Youth players we have further down the line.

Might be two if we sign Jill scott. Interestingly they don't list her for Man City.. is she a free agent at the moment?

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I thought the final was a terrific spectacle and they can be hugely proud. Incidentally my 10 year old daughter was loving it, she ripped her top off too when England scored the winner!

If we can get every 18+ year old woman to rip their tops off every time England score, i'll be happy with that 😝

17 hours ago, useless said:

Looks like a top 3 rather than a top 4.    No Man Utd players?

Jill Scott isn't listed because she's a free agent, Carla Ward just after the season had finished said we're trying to sign her, but her future wouldn't be sorted out until after Euros, there are some rumors that it's already done, but we will see, Spurs have also been linked.

Â