Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 02/08/2022 at 17:00, WallisFrizz said:

Adult tickets are only £10 for the first game of the season. 2 adults and 2 kids £26 total. 

Game is at VP 18th September. Go and give them some support, they’re going to need it (Man City). 

Yep, we’re going as my eldest had to stay in France for the final.

Can’t grumble at £26 for the four of us right behind the dug out. The flights from Limoges however 🤬

• Like 1

Highlights are from a few years ago, but looks a good player, attacking midfielder it seems, so likely a replacement for Petzelberger, played for Lyon and PSG, also has forty plus caps for France, so seems to have pretty good pedigree, other than at Everton last season also seems to have a good goal scoring record.

Last season there were quite a few complaints about Bescott, there has been controversy around WSL kick-off times as it is, but it's worse for us because apparently Walsall have a regular market at their ground so we have to work our fixtures around that as well as their own fixtures.

I also saw suggestions that the state of their pitch was affecting our play, I don't know about that, but playing there didn't do our performances any good, we beat Leceister at home on the first day but then didn't win another home game all season, whereas I think with about four or five games left there was some surprising stat that had us in the top four for away results, not sure if the case towards the end of the season probably tells us something.

This is the last year of our deal with Walsall, I had wondered if we might try and get out of it given the above, but I think WSL games have to a minimum attendance, so our options would have been limited, I don't think we could have just played at Bodymoor for example, although I do notice that four of the eleven home fixtures this season are going to be at Villa Park, and maybe they will try and move a few more if scheduling allows for it.

Edit: Just looked it up here and we were the fifth best team away team in the WSL last season, Man Utd took just one more away point than us.

• Like 1

The contract we signed to play at Bescott runs for another year.

Moving to, or playing our games at the Alexander Stadium was never confirmed, just a rumour, it's not just a rumour amomgst Villa fans but also small heath fans, as they've been talking about potentially moving there because of the problems with their stadium, but 'Almajir' about the most reliable source with information regarding them has said that he knows for certain that our womens team signed a long-term lease to use the stadium, whether it's possible that he's right but that deal doesn't start until after our deal with Walsall ends I don't know, he was pretty adamant that he's seen evidence that that's what's happening and as I say is usually very reliable.

I guess we will find out next summer when the deal with Walsall ends, it could be that we agree to stay there after all, or maybe use Villa Park, there have been complaints about using Walsall, but I think there are also worries about moving to a bigger stadium as could affect the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Chloe Arthur has signed for Crystal Palace, was a little surprised that we let her go, but maybe her dropping down to the championship tells it's own story.

All the players that have left this summer other than Ramona Petzelberger have dropped down to the championship, Shania Hayles and Jodie Hutton Bristol City, Anita Asante is also now a first team coach there, Sophie Haywood has gone to Sheffield United, and Sian Rogers is on loan at Charlton.

Absolutely massive signing this one for us and also interesting that it’s a three year deal. Most woman contracts are usually one or two year deals, so it’s a clear statement that we’re continuing to invest in the woman’s side of the club. Chuffed with this. 

• Like 1

Rare to get an England international not playing for one of the 'big four' in the WSL or one of the top teams in Europe or the US, so a big coup for us.

Edited by useless

Â