Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

There was a good interview recently with Dan Bardell and Carla Ward, from that it sounded like the club"s  aim is top eight but Carla's personal aim is top six. Season doesn't start until September which feels a long way away, but I'm sure we will start seeing the preparations soon.

U21s playing  tonight at Villa Park against Arsenal.

Not really a surprise, but Hannah Hampton has been included in the England squad for Euro 22, she's the only WSL player in the whole squad that doesn't play for one of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, there are a few unattached players, all of whom were contracted to 'top four' clubs last season, including Jill Scott, and another two that play for Houston Dash and Bayern Munich, I think those two recently moved from top four WSL as well, so gives an indication of how well Hampton has done to get in there.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Transfer window opens on the stroke of midnight tonight.

A few clubs have already announced signings, and Carla Ward has said we've got some deals pretty much already agreed, so wouldn't be surprised if we starting seeing some announcements as early as next week.

Still looking as well, as she's also said she's going to be scouting players at the Euros.

On 15/06/2022 at 18:25, useless said:

Not really a surprise, but Hannah Hampton has been included in the England squad for Euro 22, she's the only WSL player in the whole squad that doesn't play for one of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, there are a few unattached players, all of whom were contracted to 'top four' clubs last season, including Jill Scott, and another two that play for Houston Dash and Bayern Munich, I think those two recently moved from top four WSL as well, so gives an indication of how well Hampton has done to get in there.

She might not be first choice now, but she will be next big tournament. She is almost as good now as the best. What she has is almost Ederson like distribution.

Not sure how she compares to the other best keepers, but can see how good she is watching her play and certainly on another level to some of the other keepers in the women's game.

I think I saw that she has some sort of medical condition which means she has a depth perception issue that leads to a a few mistakes, but even allowing for that she still must have been worth a considerable amount of points to us last season.

She will no doubt be linked to one of the 'top four' but hopefully she will still be a Villa player next season.

I think her linking up with the men in training towards the end of last season was maybe a way to show her that she can get elite training and work alongside elite players at Villa, she doesn't have to move on in order to get the level of professional training the big clubs offer 

Club have announced that Chloë Arthur is leaving where her contract expires.

A little surprised by that as she's not a bad player, hopefully a sign we've got a good midfielder or two lined up.

Seems a strange one, she's okay, did well when she became more of a regular in the second half of the season, but not someone I would have thought would have the top clubs chasing her.

Looking into the above Sam Rose was Burton Albion's 'Academy Lead Coach', that's their mens team not women's team.

And Luke Tisdale was Coventry City's U23 manager, again that was of the mens' team.

So seems like they're backing Ward as far as the coaching staff go, I imagine both could have got decent jobs in the mens side of the game.

• Like 1

Only fifteen players in the squad as it stands, three of those Gregory, McLoughlin, and Blindkilde still U19s and another Sian Rogers reportedly set to leave, I think Remi Allen has a long term injury as well. Season doesn't start until September, but got a lot of work to do, bringing back Anna Patten and Jill Scott would be a good start.

Made some impressive appointments on the coaching side of things, so no reason to think we won't do the same on the playing side of things.

20 hours ago, useless said:

Only fifteen players in the squad as it stands, three of those Gregory, McLoughlin, and Blindkilde still U19s and another Sian Rogers reportedly set to leave, I think Remi Allen has a long term injury as well. Season doesn't start until September, but got a lot of work to do, bringing back Anna Patten and Jill Scott would be a good start.

Made some impressive appointments on the coaching side of things, so no reason to think we won't do the same on the playing side of things.

I think its that the Euros start tomorrow is the delay

• Thanks 1

All the people in the main transfer thread who are getting mad about a lack of transfers for the men's team need to avoid paying any attention to the women's team, for the sake of their blood pressure. Quite a lot of moves now happening elsewhere in the league; we've signed no-one and lost Petzelberger.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

Â