Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Serious and random question…. what do you think the limit is for Unai and Villa…?

If we carry on in this vein or trajectory…he keeps getting full backing, support and control… better players… no major setbacks… we improve off the field too and have better resources and finances etc. etc.

I honestly believe that any player, not just Dougie, would be mad or need their head examining to “want out”… all of these players are being elevated and educated… it seems like such a happy camp… we are improving and improving…

It may sound mad… but… since Unai transformed us… I don’t actually “feel inferior” to anyone…. the main obstacle to major progression or success seems to be corruption, rule breaking, manipulation of finances… by other or rival clubs…

We haven’t actually achieved anything major yet but the transformation is real and the direction is… astounding tbh…

I wouldn’t swap Unai for any other manager in the world… I love and rate the majority of our players and wouldn’t want to swap some of them… the likes of Doug, Martinez… maybe a few others such as Kamara… McGinn has been playing out of his skin… we’ll have to see just how well others do and how much they improve… such as Pau, Diaby… Zaniolo…

But we need to keep adding more and more quality over time… get stronger and stronger… I’m not saying we’re the finished article… we’re very far from it but are we on the road or path to something like that???

We have a lot of work to do and loads to improve upon…

I’m not actually predicting wild things or making major predictions… it’s just that… the vibe is so good and positive and we play such a wonderful brand of football…

I dunno… it just feels so good to support and follow this club… hasn’t always been the case 😆 Far from it…

But… it really feels like we can spread our wings and soar now…

Unai… what a guy… thank you so much!

So stick around Dougie 😂 and enjoy the ride… the only way is up, UP THE VILLA!!!! 

If we can strengthen the attack in the same way that we’ve strengthened defence and midfield, which is one of the best on the league, we can achieve Champions League football.

Dougie and Kamara are the best midfielder pairing I’ve seen since Barry and Milner were in the team. But, Dougie and Kamara are even better.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we can strengthen the attack in the same way that we’ve strengthened defence and midfield, which is one of the best on the league, we can achieve Champions League football.

Dougie and Kamara are the best midfielder pairing I’ve seen since Barry and Milner were in the team. But, Dougie and Kamara are even better.

Yeah I agree… and I know it is the goal for Unai… he wants to win trophies but most of all, he wants to manage us in the CL!

Read a couple of interviews and comments from people like Echegaray who have had personal conversations with him…

Competition is fierce and it will be a tough task…no one can actually predict that it will happen… but if you’re ever going to believe in any Villa manager… now’s the time to do it!!

-

Yep, since I’ve been following us in the mid-90s, we’ve never had such talented and technically gifted players such as Dougie and Bouba… Martinez is the best GK we’ve ever had in that time too… imo.

And Unai easily and by far the best manager…

-

What encourages me even more is that longtime fans such as @TRO and @villabromsgrove have similar thoughts and they’ve seen so much more!!!

If they can see that we’re “on to a good thing” then that only makes me more enthused and excited…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2023 at 22:39, Jas10 said:

Yeah I agree… and I know it is the goal for Unai… he wants to win trophies but most of all, he wants to manage us in the CL!

Read a couple of interviews and comments from people like Echegaray who have had personal conversations with him…

Competition is fierce and it will be a tough task…no one can actually predict that it will happen… but if you’re ever going to believe in any Villa manager… now’s the time to do it!!

-

Yep, since I’ve been following us in the mid-90s, we’ve never had such talented and technically gifted players such as Dougie and Bouba… Martinez is the best GK we’ve ever had in that time too… imo.

And Unai easily and by far the best manager…

-

What encourages me even more is that longtime fans such as @TRO and @villabromsgrove have similar thoughts and they’ve seen so much more!!!

If they can see that we’re “on to a good thing” then that only makes me more enthused and excited…

I can endorse, "we are on to a good thing".......It's so difficult in comparing era'a.....but I feel comfort, that this manager, is never satisfied, within reason.

That is said with slight reservation, because he must be so pleased, with the progress so far.....However, what he has left in the " think tank" after declaring he has only covered 10% of what is planned, is frightening.

Unlike some folk, its our ability to control the game, keep clean sheets, and be generally hard to play against, that fills me with most joy......of course I am joyous about the way we fashion chances and score great goals, and I am aware that is also crucial to winning matches.....but its this former ability, to put hesitancy in to the minds of opponents, and frustrate them in to self doubt, that fills me with, most delight.

This manager is building a modern version of what Ron Saunders built.....sure there are differences, but some are subtle differences, but the mindset to winning, is the same.

Its very comforting to think of where all this is going, and the harmony at the club, seems steadfast.....from the owners, to the management/coaches, to the players, it seems everyone has bought in.....That is hard to achieve, in an industry infamous for managing ego's, but we seem to making a fist of that, by managing/recruiting good characters.

Unai Emery is like the pied piper, leading from the front " Follow me, and you will all be better for it"....I still think his main attribute, is humility....which is so powerful in managing men.

Set backs will always challenge us, but its great to see such a resillience within the club, that they will be dealt with composure and professionalism.

After following Villa for over 60 odd years, I can safely say and delighted to say ( particulalry for younger fans)  "we are on to something special".....just like those Halcyon days of old.

ps and I am happy to say Dougie Luiz is a by product of all that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

I think we could realistically be challenging for top 4 yearly shortly and if not for financial doping and stupid ffp rules could have a crack at the whole thing. 

Football has moved on so much if we had this team in 2008 we'd probably win the league.

• Like 2

So pleasing to see his development… such progress and improvement. From a fairly obscure young talent to one of our most important players… played out of position for so long too but, as Doug has himself said, that helped his game and added different elements to it. He’s approaching the finished article and just runs our team basically… metronome, playmaker, majestic… class.

That armband has looked good on him too 😆

Finally we have a penalty taker!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So pleasing to see his development… such progress and improvement. From a fairly obscure young talent to one of our most important players… played out of position for so long too but, as Doug has himself said, that helped his game and added different elements to it. He’s approaching the finished article and just runs our team basically… metronome, playmaker, majestic… class.

That armband has looked good on him too 😆

Finally we have a penalty taker!

Yes, I think playing in a mid two in a 4-4-2 is the perfect position for him. Now he can still dictate play and have Kamara helping out defensively, and also has freedom to roam forward. In the attacking mf position I think he would look a bit like Tielemans last game, not bad at all, but not 100%.

I cant think of many players in the league I’d rather have in that position, if any. Considering what Rice, Enzo and Caicedo went for, I wonder how much Luiz is worth now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

How this guy isn't in the Brazil squad I don't know?

He is every bit as good as Bruno, better than Paquetta, I just don't understand it!

Because the Brazilian manager isn’t delusional.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 30/08/2023 at 22:27, Jas10 said:

Serious and random question…. what do you think the limit is for Unai and Villa…?

If we carry on in this vein or trajectory…he keeps getting full backing, support and control… better players… no major setbacks… we improve off the field too and have better resources and finances etc. etc.

I honestly believe that any player, not just Dougie, would be mad or need their head examining to “want out”… all of these players are being elevated and educated… it seems like such a happy camp… we are improving and improving…

It may sound mad… but… since Unai transformed us… I don’t actually “feel inferior” to anyone…. the main obstacle to major progression or success seems to be corruption, rule breaking, manipulation of finances… by other or rival clubs…

We haven’t actually achieved anything major yet but the transformation is real and the direction is… astounding tbh…

I wouldn’t swap Unai for any other manager in the world… I love and rate the majority of our players and wouldn’t want to swap some of them… the likes of Doug, Martinez… maybe a few others such as Kamara… McGinn has been playing out of his skin… we’ll have to see just how well others do and how much they improve… such as Pau, Diaby… Zaniolo…

But we need to keep adding more and more quality over time… get stronger and stronger… I’m not saying we’re the finished article… we’re very far from it but are we on the road or path to something like that???

We have a lot of work to do and loads to improve upon

I’m not actually predicting wild things or making major predictions… it’s just that… the vibe is so good and positive and we play such a wonderful brand of football…

I dunno… it just feels so good to support and follow this club… hasn’t always been the case 😆 Far from it…

But… it really feels like we can spread our wings and soar now…

Unai… what a guy… thank you so much!

So stick around Dougie 😂 and enjoy the ride… the only way is up, UP THE VILLA!!!! 

I think you put it in a nutshell.

I think its fair to say, we shouldn't fear anyone, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel nervy at times, when we are defending.

I still feel its an area we can improve on.....The Newcastle game, was a game where, we can look back on and see area's for improvement.....We still have moments where we can concede avoidable goals.

I still feel the balance of the side leans towards offensive prowess, more than defensive prowess.....that is not me looking to park the bus, more towards engaging quicker to the ball, out of possession....and staying a bit touch tighter out of possession.

We have a very good side, and to talk about improvement, its like nit picking......but improve we will, this manager, will not rest until we do.

back on to  Dougie Luiz.........He is an epitome of all whats been happening at BMH......I agree with you, can't understand why he is not in the Brazil squad, maybe their manager is a friend of Southgates😀

Today, will be a good test for Dougie and his cohorts to test themselves against a good midfield.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think you put it in a nutshell.

I think its fair to say, we shouldn't fear anyone, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel nervy at times, when we are defending.

I still feel its an area we can improve on.....The Newcastle game, was a game where, we can look back on and see area's for improvement.....We still have moments where we can concede avoidable goals.

I still feel the balance of the side leans towards offensive prowess, more than defensive prowess.....that is not me looking to park the bus, more towards engaging quicker to the ball, out of possession....and staying a bit touch tighter out of possession.

We have a very good side, and to talk about improvement, its like nit picking......but improve we will, this manager, will not rest until we do.

back on to  Dougie Luiz.........He is an epitome of all whats been happening at BMH......I agree with you, can't understand why he is not in the Brazil squad, maybe their manager is a friend of Southgates😀

Today, will be a good test for Dougie and his cohorts to test themselves against a good midfield.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Â