Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Dougie's been off form and/or lacking something for a couple of months now, and I'd even say our better performances came without him in the side (when he was suspended), however putting a missed penalty on him is really harsh. Had he even missed one for us before yet? It happens.

He hasn’t and clearly nothing went for him last night, but when you’ve already conceded a daft penalty you really have to stick that one away or let someone else take it.

Usually his composure is great from set pieces, but his ice cool mentality seems to have gone coupled with his poor performances generally. 

I still think he’s borderline world class when he’s at the top of his game but he really is stinking out the team at the moment and whatever is causing it needs to be addressed quickly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

He hasn’t and clearly nothing went for him last night, but when you’ve already conceded a daft penalty you really have to stick that one away or let someone else take it.

Usually his composure is great from set pieces, but his ice cool mentality seems to have gone coupled with his poor performances generally. 

I still think he’s borderline world class when he’s at the top of his game but he really is stinking out the team at the moment and whatever is causing it needs to be addressed quickly.

Borderline world class....there are a lot of overtop reactions on here both positive and negative. But he is no where near world class.

Luiz is a tidy player, technically very good and can find a pass. 

I like him but he nowhere as good as he is made out when have we ever said he dominated a game, pulled the strings, held the midfield, one...good performance yes, outstanding?????, I have watched him a lot this year, he is ball shy from goal kicks, doesnt like it when its tight in the middle and hides in the middle most of the time.

Other better players around him make him look better than he is, otherwise with most of them injured we would see him actually taking change, standout and actually showing how good he is supposed to be made out.

I think there is better to come from him and a lot more, there's talk of a transfer, he'd be the first over the midfield options, as he can be easily be replaced.

He has served us well, but heart over head doesnt win you games nor give you the right for high praise.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

I think Luiz with Tielemans as the central two with Tielemans playing the deeper role allowing Luiz to be more attacking that will work best. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure I want success if it means a fan base that turns on players like Dougie.

Some people are reactive at the time and throw out comments due to frustration - I’m very much one of them when we are losing as a team (not against Dougie directly). Best to just let people vent, and then they will calm down after a day or so. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's done so much for us this season, I just wish all the fans would support him when he's at a low point.  We really need to sign a player with Kamara's characteristics to replace him for the first few months of the season so that Doug doesn't have to play as deep.  

Still love Dougie. I don’t want him to leave. Right to be criticised last night, just needs that fire under him for Brighton. We win as a team, lose as a team. Everyone makes mistakes. 

Hes one of the main reasons why we are on verge of CL.  We are playing with players beside him who aren’t able to play position since Kamara got injured.  World class DM coming in the summer to play alongside him

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Overrated on here and by Villa fans in general 

Rated by Arsenal who are constantly linked with him.

Rated by Emery the best manager in the league who constantly picks him week in week out and constantly sings his praises.

Rated by the West Ham fans I was chatting to before the game the other week.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He's up there with Watkins and Emi as one of our best players for me. Been outstanding for us this season and I hope people arent forgetting that. Yes he is struggling for form recently but he's played 4th most minutes in our squad this year behind Watkins (half robot) Emi (just stands there) and Ezri (glides around on a boat) so he's the only one doing any real running and its catching up to him. He is stumbling over the line as are we as a squad. Luckily several others squads are in a similar boat. Think the intensity and number of games puts a massive toll on modern squads unless you have 2 world class players in every position like City. 

This is a brilliant point that was lost on me until I read your post. He's been ever present in that non-stop midfield and it has to be taking it's toll. I hope we have 2 or 3 CMs lined up in the summer to ease that burden and then I'm sure we'll see him back to his best.

12 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I don’t have any fury but seeing the shite other players get after 1 bad game and Luiz has been shit pretty much for a calendar year, yet gets apology after apology. Don’t get it. 

A calendar year 🤣🤣

I have to say, if you don't see what Luiz brings to the team then I can't help you and frankly you don't understand our style of play and (to put it bluntly) probably modern football in general by extension.

There's a reason that Emery has called him "our light", because he is one of the only players in the squad that can take the ball off the keeper and defenders in tight spaces, and progress the ball the ball against the press and create opportunities. He's fantastic at it. A couple of off games doesn't change that.

Quite simply the worst thing you can do as a fan is bash this type of player and plant seeds of doubt in their mind, when you absolutely need to have total confidence in your ability to do this effectively. I don't doubt Luiz has the mental fortitude to overcome this blip and drown out the noise, but why test him?

One thing outing yourself by saying he should be sold but sending abuse, just f*** off and support someone else.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Some people are reactive at the time and throw out comments due to frustration - I’m very much one of them when we are losing as a team (not against Dougie directly). Best to just let people vent, and then they will calm down after a day or so. 

Nah, best to tell people to control themselves better.

Does it one every 5-6 games which isn’t enough. McGinn is far more consistent. I’ve never got the accolades he receives on here and I’ve watched most of Villa’s games over recent seasons. It was no surprise to me that Villa looked much better without him when Luiz was banned.

He was worse than awful last night. Oly constantly harassed him which actually divulged how poor he is when pressed. He’s a sideways player in the mould of a Ray Wilkins and got it both barrels from Emery last night during the game. Think Emery is losing patience with him.

For me if Villa get a reasonable offer he’d be the first player out the door in the summer.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bazmonkey said:

Borderline world class....there are a lot of overtop reactions on here both positive and negative. But he is no where near world class.

Luiz is a tidy player, technically very good and can find a pass. 

I like him but he nowhere as good as he is made out when have we ever said he dominated a game, pulled the strings, held the midfield, one...good performance yes, outstanding?????, I have watched him a lot this year, he is ball shy from goal kicks, doesnt like it when its tight in the middle and hides in the middle most of the time.

Other better players around him make him look better than he is, otherwise with most of them injured we would see him actually taking change, standout and actually showing how good he is supposed to be made out.

I think there is better to come from him and a lot more, there's talk of a transfer, he'd be the first over the midfield options, as he can be easily be replaced.

He has served us well, but heart over head doesnt win you games nor give you the right for high praise.

I think at his best he is really, really good, one of the best midfielders in the league, which by definition makes him close to world class, but you see I agree he’s maybe overrated and I’ve said it myself and that’s because he isn’t consistent enough and his performances at present prove that. The best midfielders don’t go missing for weeks or even months on end.

As I said we need to find what is causing it and deal with it. If it means taking him out the team because he’s drained from the season we might have to, although given injuries currently our only other option is to play Tim who doesn’t look up to it. When Tielemans is back then I wouldn’t hesitate to bench Luiz until he’s back at the level he was earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

He's done so much for us this season, I just wish all the fans would support him when he's at a low point.  We really need to sign a player with Kamara's characteristics to replace him for the first few months of the season so that Doug doesn't have to play as deep.  

The fans are supporting him.

Just because a player has been good for us doesn't mean they can't be critcised when they play badly.

Dougy had an absolute **** stinker last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get criticism. He’s not playing well. The abuse i can never get. Does he really need to be called a word removed by grown men throughout the game?

Of course he doesn't need it but its just the emotion talking...

Not everyone has the ability to control what they say in an atmosphere like last night.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Does it one every 5-6 games which isn’t enough. McGinn is far more consistent. I’ve never got the accolades he receives on here and I’ve watched most of Villa’s games over recent seasons. It was no surprise to me that Villa looked much better without him when Luiz was banned.

He was worse than awful last night. Oly constantly harassed him which actually divulged how poor he is when pressed. He’s a sideways player in the mould of a Ray Wilkins and got it both barrels from Emery last night during the game. Think Emery is losing patience with him.

For me if Villa get a reasonable offer he’d be the first player out the door in the summer.

He's far from a sideways player, especially with 10 goals and 9 assists or thereabout. Just off the top of my head the through all to Ollie at Sheff Utd, the ball to Ollie v's Fulham away. I also think the reason why Unai is on him is because of his expectancy of Luiz... he knows what he's capable of and more. If anything it's a show of faith in him and his capabilities, not losing patience. He also gets the armband when McGinn is off the pitch so that's another indication of Emery's faith in the lad.

He's been poor by his own standards recently but TBH you've been slating him any chance possible iirc, even suggesting JWP would be better, so with all due respect your post imo is pretty wide of the mark.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â